Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 16, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #55,591 of 63,884
Looks like KZ AST will be going as low as $98 on AliExpress with the June sale.
I definitely don't need one, but I'm a sucker for sales.
Still not feeling too sure about it one way or the other based on the limited reviews so far.

Jun 16, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #55,592 of 63,884
Still not feeling too sure about it one way or the other based on the limited reviews so far.
Besides the turbo bass, it's a winner! :ok_hand: The lighter the music is, the more recommendable they are.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #55,593 of 63,884
Besides the turbo bass, it's a winner! :ok_hand:
Would I notice much difference compared to the ASX?
With my poor tastes I really like those. Not sure what it is, but I put those on and I just get absorbed in the music for some reason.
I don't get the same feeling with my other earphones/headphones.

Jun 16, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #55,594 of 63,884
Besides the turbo bass, it's a winner! :ok_hand: The lighter the music is, the more recommendable they are.
You had me at turbo bass.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #55,595 of 63,884
You had me at turbo bass.
You have been warned ;P

Would I notice much difference compared to the ASX?
With my poor tastes I really like those. Not sure what it is, but I put those on and I just get absorbed in the music for some reason.
I don't get the same feeling with my other earphones/headphones.
Haven't heard ASX, but I believe I've heard they are very similar, with AST maybe having a bit better treble and fit, and probably the better, new KZ cable. If ASX is too heavy of a sound, I would try a ZAX for sure. Or maybe CKX. I agree with you very much about how engaging and satisfying the ASX sound is, assuming it sounds like AST. :thumbsup: A sound like this is rare. I find most IEMs anywhere near this price to be mostly about treble; thin, fairly depthless, and characterless

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #55,596 of 63,884
0228B126-E2A8-4F65-85DD-8F79DF18764E.jpeg
even it is a TWS. With proper ear tips, KZ SKS is one of the best tuned out of KZ from my 20+ KZ experience! Wow! KZ nailed it! Not a typical 30095. It sounds harman-ish W-shape tuning, no big spikes, smooth and bass focused.

I can recall this sound signature as a bit brighter Mangird Tea. This brings me hope for AST, it might actually work! AST uses a bunch of #30019 BAs which SKS uses 1x custom-tuned 30019 +10mm DD.

[Update]
SKS seemed to have a 3khz pinna gain peaks like the one of those in Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk or Softears RSV.
If it matches your gain spots, it resonates very well for female vocals/guitar/snare drums.

I thought mid-range specialty was one of CCA's, but KZ seemed is leaning toward mid-range focused rather than typical V-shaped harsh tuning.
SKS has a wide sound stage, like CCA CSN, with bass-rolled Harman-ish with 3khz gain spot hitting tuning. (W-Shaped, warm, bass-rolled wide sound stage)

Honestly, I prefer this tuning over ZAX, it doesn't extend treble and air too much so that the technical weakness of KZ tweeter BA drivers could stay subtle.
Kudos to KZ engineers who tuned SKS.

SKS matches with the thin-skinned bass-boost type of ear tips, like Sony hybrids. I use one of UM's. SKS is generally warm. For $29 on Aliexpress ($48 on Amazon, nah) SKS is a good blind buy even compared to wired IEMs of the range, for someone looking fun and warm-tuned pair of IEM.

[Update 2] It doesn't sound too good with AAC with iPhone. AptX has a better dynamic range and heavy bass slam with warm textures overall.
I am just posting my review now....amazed KZ finally produced a decent set of TWS!

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #55,599 of 63,884
For which I’m hoping Moondrop’s Blessing EST will be the best price to performance as it uses Aria’s LCP for bass, blessing2 /dusk’s mid range Softears MID BA, and Sonion EST for silky treble.
2121799D-A5A8-4F8B-9610-0386C3006CA0.jpeg
It is available on TaoBao for RMB 2998 now and I am tempted to get my first EST. It is very likely that the DD is a full frequency one (maybe the same one in the Aria?) and the BA is there to add more note weight and then of course the EST is there to add air.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #55,601 of 63,884
According to my USPS app my AST is out for delivery today. I really hope that happens but recent history tells me differently, I’ll update as soon as they come.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #55,602 of 63,884
On my trusty electric scooter I ran into my postman out and about so he was kind enough to grab my package and hand it to me at 11:30am (our building is his last stop around 7:30pm each day) huge time savings! I’ll be back in awhile with update.

Attachments

• 3BF99128-A5B4-4662-89B4-E05A7D39F013.jpeg
    3BF99128-A5B4-4662-89B4-E05A7D39F013.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 18, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #55,603 of 63,884
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #55,604 of 63,884
Nope no green here just silver/clear, but they sound excellent! Lots of enjoyable low end done really well being all balanced armature drivers. The bass is there but it doesn’t overwhelm the sound to me. There is very nicely done mids and high end sound that sits atop the low end and deals out great detail across the board. No sibilance that I hear at all. I’ve listened 3 separate times using stock cable and Spiral Dot tips with the Xelastic tips I ordered just now arriving from Amazon so more to follow. They get clearer and more coherent as they break in, its very evident with mine how much better they sound after the first hours listening. Each session after my initial one has brought nice subtle change so don’t jump to conclusions after 10 minutes of listening, they sounded fine to me right out of the box but are getting better all along. I like them! More later on after I fiddle with tips and stuff !!!! :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #55,605 of 63,884
ZS10 pro and ZSX are great.

ZS10 pro represent KZ-V at its best and most vivid: mighty bass, sparkly treble :)

In ZSX, the bass is more contained, and treble is more refined, but good (not overly polite like in C10 and CA16).

To me, ZAX is a good step forward from ZSX in treble - more refinement, more resolution. As for the bass, it is more subjective: bass of ZAX is more in quantity compared to ZSX, especially in the mid-bass. I would take the bass from ZSX and treble from ZAX, while still ZAX overall. The hope was that ASX would be ZAX with the BA bass, it did not exactly happen due to narrow nozzles. Now the "hype is with AST, but still the same narrow nozzles...

Back from my rant to ZAX, I still listen to ZSX sometimes and value ZS10 pro, but ZAX is a good/decent step forward in refinement and resolution to me.
Skipped the ZSX...but I own both the ZS10 PRO and ZAX. I find the ZAX a bit of an improvement to the ZS10 Pro...but not by very much. Both are in my regular rotation; along with Blon BL03 and KBEAR KS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back