Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 1, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #55,426 of 63,929
Apparently HiFiGo will have stock of AST green THIS WEEK, so I'm holding out on the order I placed with them :fingers_crossed: Green or bust!!

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #55,427 of 63,929
To my ears - ASX with wide nozzles are still the best IEM by far in my "under $150 universe".

Still trying to try few other different IEMs, I like Aria as a gentle, versatile and quite universal and capable IEM. But then comparing with the modified ASX side by side made me ordering AST right away (sadly, my AST package was assigned the shipping # the same day, but did not move for a week so far :frowning2:).

Today I got TRI I3 - I hope they will become less treble-shy and more mid-prominent upon "burning" and will make a good complement to my stable of KZ/CCAs together with other tribrids: SFR MT300 and NiceHCK NX7 pro :)
The graph of the TRI i3 scares me a bit. I don't really have anything against EQ-ing my IEMs on the source, but I prefer when I don't have to, and it looks like I would probably want to. The whole DD, Planar, and BA tribrid is a really tempting proposition, though, since planar are known to have fantastic timbre in the mids. I'll resist for now, but if they ever tweak their tuning and put it in a resin shell, I expect I'll place my order as soon at it shows up on their AliExpress page. To my ear, the TRI Starsea is an impeccably designed and tuned IEM that's really hard to compete against at around $130. I upgraded from a set of CCA CKX with EQ to correct it's treble peaks, and the non-EQ tuning of the Starseas already blows those out of the water. I am curious about the performance of KZ and CCA's more sophisticated 3D printed sound tube armatures in their newer BA IEMs, but at this point, I'm a bit tired of spending on things whose graphs indicate tuning issues that I'll need to correct. I went through the KZ ZS5 and Shuoer Tape Pro and now even the CCA CKX, and they were all purchased before I figured out that I really, really should be checking graphs before purchase.

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #55,428 of 63,929
Still rockin my ZS10 PRO's. Tonight, I'm listening to this. The ZS10 PRO works great with this type of music.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #55,429 of 63,929
Still rockin my ZS10 PRO's. Tonight, I'm listening to this. The ZS10 PRO works great with this type of music.
We need ZS10 Pro with Xun DD and the new KZ treble tuning.
Personally, if ZS10 Pro have better textured bass (its been awhile since i listen to ZS10Pro, but by my fuzzy memory, i prefer DQ6 bass over KZ ZS10 Pro thumpy but textureless bass) and more rounded yet detailed treble, it will be pretty damn awesome.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #55,430 of 63,929
To my ears - ASX with wide nozzles are still the best IEM by far in my "under $150 universe".

Still trying to try few other different IEMs, I like Aria as a gentle, versatile and quite universal and capable IEM. But then comparing with the modified ASX side by side made me ordering AST right away (sadly, my AST package was assigned the shipping # the same day, but did not move for a week so far :frowning2:).

Today I got TRI I3 - I hope they will become less treble-shy and more mid-prominent upon "burning" and will make a good complement to my stable of KZ/CCAs together with other tribrids: SFR MT300 and NiceHCK NX7 pro :)
The i3 really comes alive with power. The planar mids are wonderful. The treble also improves but it is not very elevated, however the timbre is good.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #55,431 of 63,929
The i3 really comes alive with power. The planar mids are wonderful. The treble also improves but it is not very elevated, however the timbre is good.
That is definitely true, but then there is also synergy with the source, and as Chris pointed out in the synergy thread - BTR5 really matches well with TRI I3. I have tried Fiio Q1-II (meeh, warm, strong background hiss, as with any IEMs...) and then my good old DAP also on a warmer side.

Sadly, the synergy thread is not popular, but the subjective opinions how "silver plated cables make a perfect match" proliferate in wild abundance... :frowning2: :frowning2:
The graph of the TRI i3 scares me a bit. I don't really have anything against EQ-ing my IEMs on the source, but I prefer when I don't have to, and it looks like I would probably want to. The whole DD, Planar, and BA tribrid is a really tempting proposition, though, since planar are known to have fantastic timbre in the mids. I'll resist for now, but if they ever tweak their tuning and put it in a resin shell, I expect I'll place my order as soon at it shows up on their AliExpress page. To my ear, the TRI Starsea is an impeccably designed and tuned IEM that's really hard to compete against at around $130. I upgraded from a set of CCA CKX with EQ to correct it's treble peaks, and the non-EQ tuning of the Starseas already blows those out of the water. I am curious about the performance of KZ and CCA's more sophisticated 3D printed sound tube armatures in their newer BA IEMs, but at this point, I'm a bit tired of spending on things whose graphs indicate tuning issues that I'll need to correct. I went through the KZ ZS5 and Shuoer Tape Pro and now even the CCA CKX, and they were all purchased before I figured out that I really, really should be checking graphs before purchase.
I3 was at $120, and Starsea with their 9 Ohm impedance was not on my list.
I am now looking for a small amp/dac with batteries, and I would love to find something that can drive 8 Ohm in the specs - hardly anything, very demanding circuitry due to high currents.
There will be hardly something to equalize in I3 (?); if treble won't be sufficient - that is largely it. Equalizers can trim/smoothen some peaks but not to add what is missing or already smeared/smoothen too much by transducers.

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #55,432 of 63,929
That is definitely true, but then there is also synergy with the source, and as Chris pointed out in the synergy thread - BTR5 really matches well with TRI I3. I have tried Fiio Q1-II (meeh, warm, strong background hiss, as with any IEMs...) and then my good old DAP also on a warmer side.

Sadly, the synergy thread is not popular, but the subjective opinions how "silver plated cables make a perfect match" proliferate in wild abundance... :frowning2: :frowning2:

I am now looking for a small amp/dac with batteries, and I would love to find something that can drive 8 Ohm in the specs - hardly anything, very demanding circuitry due to high currents.
There will be hardly something to equalize in I3 (?); if treble won't be sufficient - that is largely it. Equalizers can trim/smoothen some peaks but not to add what is missing or already smeared/smoothen too much by transducers.
I use an Xduoo X20 DAP which is very neutral and a Topping NX1a amplifier which is also very clean sounding. With
these I never feel like I am missing any treble, and the detail retrieval is excellent.

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #55,433 of 63,929
KZ DQ6 rank A-.

DQ6.png
It’s been a few years since I got a KZ and WOW, it is a great iem.

Tight, fast and well textured bass that’s fun because of the elevation but is clean because of the tightness and speed.

Mids are recessed giving it a V-shaped sound, but is very natural because of the timbre and tonality (although the tonality is leaning a bit more towards brightness, so some male vocals do need more warmth).

Treble, while it is very airy and the quantity isn’t too much for me, it is a bit unrefined and peaky. Which is the biggest weakness along with the technicalities (except soundstage) where it is actually good for this price, but doesn’t punch much higher (same level as the blon bl-03 (mesh mod)). Soundstage is very big though, probably the biggest soundstage you can get at this price and it definitely can rival stuff in the 100-200 usd range. Timbre is also very good along with coherency.

DQ6 VS FD5.png
It is like a mini Fiio FD5 but a bit more recessed mids and more unrefined/peaky treble and technicalities arent in the same league. If you like the DQ6, the upgrade to it would be the FD5.
Great mini review and exactly what I found too. I've had the FD5 for a couple of weeks (compliments of my wife for my birthday) and today the DQ6 arrived. I've found a pair of foams that work as the included tips didn't, but this is a really excellent IEM for the price £18 inc. Vat and delivery from China.
I'm going to upgrade the cable for a cheap balanced one but just wanted to check...am I looking for a QDC connector? Is it simply a case of fitting a .78mm QDC plug to the .75mm IEMs and I shouldn't run into any issues, or are there really available connectors out there?

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #55,434 of 63,929
Great mini review and exactly what I found too. I've had the FD5 for a couple of weeks (compliments of my wife for my birthday) and today the DQ6 arrived. I've found a pair of foams that work as the included tips didn't, but this is a really excellent IEM for the price £18 inc. Vat and delivery from China.
I'm going to upgrade the cable for a cheap balanced one but just wanted to check...am I looking for a QDC connector? Is it simply a case of fitting a .78mm QDC plug to the .75mm IEMs and I shouldn't run into any issues, or are there really available connectors out there?
I believe they do use QDC, but you can also use the regular 2 pins. They fit, but it will stick out a bit.

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #55,435 of 63,929
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #55,437 of 63,929
I agree that BA10 bass is deeper than that of C16, AS16 and crispier than that of AS10. Then AS12 to me is a bass star (all with the same good old 22955, AS12 with two).

Listening to AS12 right now. Very clean top to bottom.
If these had DD timbre I'm pretty sure I'd be done "collecting".

That said, the presentation and resolution are more than acceptable as a trade-off.

AS12 is not my first choice for EDM, the CKX is more appro.
Still, I give the AS12 an 8.5/10 rating with EDM because the "good old 22955" do a great job.
Best low frequency definition I've heard to date. Having dual 22955's give the AS12 an impressive balance of density and smoothness.

Regarding the new AST, I don't think I can pass it up because it has the new "s" line balanced armatures that are fantastic to me when it comes to timbre for a balanced armature.

Likewise, I'll probably swap out the nozzle to improve the tone, imaging and separation.

PLENUE V is equipped with Cirrus Logic's CS43131, a cutting-edge DAC that offers ultra-high-resolution sound.

• DSD Native : Up to DSD128
  • SNR : 126dB
  • THD+N : 0.0004% (24bit, 48kHz)
  • Stereo Crosstalk : -124dB
  • Output : 1.73Vrms
  • Output Impedance : 0.5Ω
  • Playback Time : Approximately 41 hours (MP3, 128kbps)

https://www.amazon.com/COWON-Plenue-Hi-Res-Player-Formular/dp/B07D53LVYV/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Cowon+Plenue&qid=1622651924&sr=8-7&th=1&psc=1

3cae949b-6c33-466b-bcbd-457b0a45920d._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg

51g3KIW9C0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If it's off-line "sound" and capability your after then go for a Cowon.
Really no need to go looking for more unless you "need" TOTL screens or a smartphone-like interface.

If you just want an inexpensive taste get the Plenue V.
If you want to get it over and done with in one shot get the Plenue R2.

61hAzDtOVeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Kmrlim-FDBRO-8-Upgrade-Earphone-Pattern-Replacement/dp/B08T95K1C2/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=FDBRO+3.5mm+QDC&qid=1622650727&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1#immersive-view_1622650967355

61ucI4kCP+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

or

https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-High-...ords=FAAEAL+cable+2+pin&qid=1622654429&sr=8-5

51vdhZjbaAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #55,438 of 63,929
Has anybody compared the DQ6 to the Tripowin TC-01?
I like 01 bass more(DQ6 sounds like it's missing a chunk of bass FR), but overall DQ6 sounds way more natural and better to me. 01 sounds very...recessed or something, and the tiny shells don't help for fit. My 01 had a loose connector on one side, too. Certainly not screaming "good build quality". But I like ZAX and CKX more than DQ6, as well. We'll see where AST fits in soon :)

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #55,439 of 63,929
Listening to AS12 right now. Very clean top to bottom.
If these had DD timbre I'm pretty sure I'd be done "collecting".

That said, the presentation and resolution are more than acceptable as a trade-off.

AS12 is not my first choice for EDM but I still give them an 8.5/10 rating because the "same good old 22955" still do a great job.

Regarding the new AST, I don't think I can pass it up because it has the new "s" line balanced armatures that are fantastic to me when it comes to timbre for a balanced armature.

Likewise, I'll probably swap out the nozzle to improve the tone, imaging and separation.

PLENUE V is equipped with Cirrus Logic's CS43131, a cutting-edge DAC that offers ultra-high-resolution sound.

• DSD Native : Up to DSD128
  • SNR : 126dB
  • THD+N : 0.0004% (24bit, 48kHz)
  • Stereo Crosstalk : -124dB
  • Output : 1.73Vrms
  • Output Impedance : 0.5Ω
  • Playback Time : Approximately 41 hours (MP3, 128kbps)

https://www.amazon.com/COWON-Plenue-Hi-Res-Player-Formular/dp/B07D53LVYV/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Cowon+Plenue&qid=1622651924&sr=8-7&th=1&psc=1

3cae949b-6c33-466b-bcbd-457b0a45920d._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg
51g3KIW9C0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If it's off-line "sound" and capability your after then go for a Cowon.
Really no need to go looking for more unless you "need" TOTL screens or a smartphone-like interface.

If you just want an inexpensive taste get the Plenue V.
If you want to get it over and done with in one shot get the Plenue R2.

61hAzDtOVeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Kmrlim-FDBRO-8-Upgrade-Earphone-Pattern-Replacement/dp/B08T95K1C2/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=FDBRO+3.5mm+QDC&qid=1622650727&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1#immersive-view_1622650967355

61ucI4kCP+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

or

https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-High-...ords=FAAEAL+cable+2+pin&qid=1622654429&sr=8-5

51vdhZjbaAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ta

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #55,440 of 63,929
5EE90025-DEDC-4482-A445-54452B297315.jpeg9A4316EF-8310-4B76-BA7E-9AD48874D33C.jpegE370F375-BC27-4C22-99ED-212E39C9FEAC.jpeg
KZ SKS’s little brother, Z1 Pro arrived.

Basically SKS without 30019. But with only single dynamic driver handling full range, Z1 Pro does great job.

-same to SKS, latest bluetooth 5.2, low battery consumption better networking
-W-shape focus with sub-bass rolled vocal range emphasis, treble is not a main character here
-not a 2khz&5khz KZ house V-tuning
-6khz not offending (gain compensation)
-there is a weird peak over 10khz, not a natural one so it may sound a bit off for some
-moderate and a bit lower on resolving capability in exchange of great conformity of tonal balance
-generally warm signature
-for $25 TWS. I found no critical flaws for Z1 Pro
-Bass is the best part of Z1 Pro, very punchy and wide spreading

KZ SKS (picture below)could be a direct upgrade, bass boost ear tips (like UM’s blue core tips: wide bore 5mm+ & ultra soft and thin silicone ) are recommended.
388E5226-81BF-442A-9A82-BB93A506B598.jpeg

SO SKS are the better choice since the price are almost similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back