Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 15, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #55,261 of 63,885
Yea, I also hope they could've differentiated themselves by 3DD TWS. They already introduced the one with XUN unit(bass driver used in DQ6) as Z1 Pro in TWS form, so I guess they probably trying out balancing energy consumptions. KZ came up with BT module with 5.2, but nah not that tail... I just want a sleek pair of TWS.
It will be interesting as havin same driver to compare Z1 with the sound of DQ6?

May 15, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #55,262 of 63,885
Again, TRI Starsea by any scale is a better Westone 4 under 100 £ W4 is just a medicore 4 driver IEM nowadays. Things changed over the decade.
Ok will put Starsea on my future list.

Hmm, not sure how you could call, even these days a W4 mediocre but if you have a quick scan through my SD3 review in my sig (so old images gone) they do make them `standard` in the end.

Also in the review soundstage is mentioned a fair bit, this to me is just as important as the sound, something the ZS10`s have a good go at but I would be astounded if some of this newer tech gets close to the SD3 in that regard.

It might be out there in this range, hope so.

EDIT: Spinfit tips should arrive today, will report on the ZS10.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #55,263 of 63,885
I'm not sure if they were the right move given @MusicalChillies previous IEMs include the Westone W4 (that I am familiar with as I own the W4R), InEar StageDiver SD-3 and NuForce HEM1 (that I own as well). All of them are heading into the smoother/darker direction in the highs, and while I own several Knowledge Zenith IEMs as well (including the AS06 and AS10 - I really like both), I doubt that the CCA (don't have them, but their treble response looks too bright based on what he's looking for) would be the right choice. I still think that the EARNiNE EN210 would be a splendid choice given the context (warm, natural, smooth, dark-ish tilt, but I'm not sure whether they are still making them or not - and as I remember, international customers would need to contact the company directly in order to acquire the IEMs).
Yep did look for the EARNINE`s but look really hard to get hold of so back burner for now.

May 15, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #55,264 of 63,885
EXTRA, EXTRA!!!

Just received some news from a KZ representative. She said the "boss" has brought up the topic of an electrostatic IEM project last week.

If I receive more details, I'll update you guys on the project!

*Edit: I also suggested that they drop the nozzle used in the newer releases like the DQ6.
Just as long as they keep it correctly tuned, it's fine with me. Though, one thing I do like about KZ (and CCA) is the good looks they invest on their products.

May 15, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #55,265 of 63,885
SpinFit tip update on the KS10 pro...

Completely genuine tips but don`t spin, not that important but probably due to the tips really having to be squeezed on the nozzle, just fit. Tip model CP145.

Remarkably these tips calm down the extremely brittle female vocal (EDM music) making them much more enjoyable. Tightens the bass, less boomy so has altered the frequency but in a positive way which I suppose is the grade and thickness of the silicone. I might come up with a mod (another tip underneath with no stem) but for now will listen for a while and give the iems a chance.

Expensive tips but a reminder that tip rolling with IEMS is a bizarre upgrade/downgrade. Been through various so far on this iem and this is the first 1 to calm some issues.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #55,266 of 63,885
Fair enough. However, if you have listened extensively to the C10 you'll discover that its apparent frequency response measurements ("...looks too bright...") are different from what you'd actually hear, as those who own or have owned the C10 would mostly agree. The phrase I used, "smooth yet resolving", is indeed an apt description of the C10 treble.

Anyway since @MusicalChillies posted his query in this thread, I was only too glad to recommend a KZ/CCA model that I own that does not have the unwanted harsh upper register. That it did contradict your own response to said query, is I believe incidental to the circumstance and not meant to cast any shade whatsoever on you or your post. :kissing:
That “smooth yet resolving” phrasing is very individual concha gain dependent, some may find it “ harsh” while some may find the “smooth yet resolving”. You may find my post below that illustrates why is that YMMV happening.

on that chart it illustrates someone has 2.5khz pinna gain & 5khz concha gain, and will find 5khz very edgy/splashy/harsh, meanwhile that is not the case for mine, mine is 3050Hz and 6100Hz. If the frequency resonance peak is off that 6.1kHz mine ear will perceive sound “smooth yet resolving”. However for someone has 5kHz concha gain spots, they will find 6kHz a very smooth yet resolving.

This is just a generalized concept because frequency resonance peaks changes even by the insertion depths.

Post in thread 'BEST BUDGET SUB-100$ EARPHONES THREAD- Chi-fi, Obscure brands and impressions sharing-REFERENCE LIST'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...s-sharing-reference-list.805930/post-16342050

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #55,268 of 63,885
Completely genuine tips but don`t spin, not that important but probably due to the tips really having to be squeezed on the nozzle, just fit.

They are designed not to spin - the naming is somewhat misleading indeed, and I was also somewhat confused when I had my first encounter with SpinFit tips since I also imagined them to actually spin/rotate. It's just the tip's end that can wiggle around a bit, which also makes sense as otherwise, with an actually rotating or spinning design, the seal (that is very important for the perception of bass quantity and extension) would be either broken/incomplete from the beginning or break over time (due to mechanical failure at some point if the tips actually featured a spinning multi-element design).

May 15, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #55,269 of 63,885

Completely genuine tips but don`t spin, not that important but probably due to the tips really having to be squeezed on the nozzle, just fit. Tip model CP145.

Remarkably these tips calm down the extremely brittle female vocal (EDM music) making them much more enjoyable. Tightens the bass, less boomy so has altered the frequency but in a positive way which I suppose is the grade and thickness of the silicone. I might come up with a mod (another tip underneath with no stem) but for now will listen for a while and give the iems a chance.

Expensive tips but a reminder that tip rolling with IEMS is a bizarre upgrade/downgrade. Been through various so far on this iem and this is the first 1 to calm some issues.
To me the tip rolling was a revelation.
Very similar to clarinet barrels - tiny difference in diameter greatly affects intonation and tuning.
I was able to settle on wide-bore tips (spiral dots and similar): minimal attenuation, but had to change sometimes narrow IEM nozzles for the best results :)

May 15, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #55,270 of 63,885
They are designed not to spin - the naming is somewhat misleading indeed, and I was also somewhat confused when I had my first encounter with SpinFit tips since I also imagined them to actually spin/rotate. It's just the tip's end that can wiggle around a bit, which also makes sense as otherwise, with an actually rotating or spinning design, the seal (that is very important for the perception of bass quantity and extension) would be either broken/incomplete from the beginning or break over time (due to mechanical failure at some point if the tips actually featured a spinning multi-element design).

Good job I didn`t try too hard to spin them hey. Cheers for the vid and interestingly echoes my thoughts of them.

Good stuff.

May 15, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #55,271 of 63,885

SpinFit is one of my top Goto selection for many BA/hybrids IEMs,
CP100: 3.5mm bore, smaller bore 9-10mm average muzzle length, straighten up sound sigunature to flat curve, some internal acoustic of the muzzle serve as extra headroom generator. Works as to take harsh female vocal gain peaks around 5-7khz.

CP145: 4.5mm version bore, slightly longer muzzle length 10-12mm. Bigger tip. Open up treble and vocal responses, with a bit boomy bass boost, will result increasing in overall gain sensitivity with richer tone, sound stage could get narrower. Overall signature will be bass-rolled neutral if original IEM is flat.

CP155: 5.5m version bore, longer muzzle 10-13mm. Super big tip. Similar to CP145 with more mid range information. Bass could be overwhelming to some.

CP360: 4.5mm bore, short muzzle 8-8.5mm, average soft and flexible tip like CP100. One of the best choice if someone feeling CP100 is too dark&somehow “veiled” in a sense. Sonic wave passages will be more direct; fast transient.

CP500: 5.5mm bore, 9.7mm length, smaller but same tip material with CP145&155, good choice for flat boost & sound stage enhancer. For IEMs with shorter noze, this helps to create extra length.

May 15, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #55,272 of 63,885
To me the tip rolling was a revelation.
Very similar to clarinet barrels - tiny difference in diameter greatly affects intonation and tuning.
I was able to settle on wide-bore tips (spiral dots and similar): minimal attenuation, but had to change sometimes narrow IEM nozzles for the best results :)
I agree with with the nozzle comment, Westones hated anything wider than their standard narrow and tip rolling these ZS and FiiO with fully wide open silicone or foam isn`t beneficial either to me.

Spinfit narrower than standard and would like them even narrower but heck, for now, a positive.

May 15, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #55,273 of 63,885
CP100: 3.5mm bore, smaller bore 9-10mm average muzzle length, straighten up sound sigunature to flat curve, some internal acoustic of the muzzle serve as extra headroom generator. Works as to take harsh female vocal gain peaks around 5-7khz.

CP145: 4.5mm version bore, slightly longer muzzle length 10-12mm. Bigger tip. Open up treble and vocal responses, with a bit boomy bass boost, will result increasing in overall gain sensitivity with richer tone, sound stage could get narrower. Overall signature will be bass-rolled neutral if original IEM is flat.

CP155: 5.5m version bore, longer muzzle 10-13mm. Super big tip. Similar to CP145 with more mid range information. Bass could be overwhelming to some.

CP360: 4.5mm bore, short muzzle 8-8.5mm, average soft and flexible tip like CP100. One of the best choice if someone feeling CP100 is too dark&somehow “veiled” in a sense. Sonic wave passages will be more direct; fast transient.

CP500: 5.5mm bore, 9.7mm length, smaller but same tip material with CP145&155, good choice for flat boost & sound stage enhancer. For IEMs with shorter noze, this helps to create extra length.
Nice post mate.

May 15, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #55,274 of 63,885

Spinfit just released a CP100+ model.

Spinfit CP100+ is more supple and comfortable than CP100. Isolation is a tinge better on CP100+. I also like that it doesn't depress the mids as much as the regular CP100. On the CP100+ version, Soundstage and imaging also are much better, with less compression of music.

Worth a consideration if one wants a thicker mids than the regular CP100.

May 15, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #55,275 of 63,885
Spinfit just released a CP100+ model.

Spinfit CP100+ is more supple and comfortable than CP100. Isolation is a tinge better on CP100+. I also like that it doesn't depress the mids as much as the regular CP100. On the CP100+ version, Soundstage and imaging also are much better, with less compression of music.

Worth a consideration if one wants a thicker mids than the regular CP100.
Yea CP100+ is sitting on my amazon.jp’s shopping cart awaiting some other Japan exclusive ear tips👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back