Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 7, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #54,496 of 63,906
20210305_161901.jpg
And this is my solution.:L3000:
That's a "mod," alright 😉

Decreasing upper midrange/lower treble, for those that don't want to do permanent mods, can be achieved using earbud foams as filter (dampening of that region = no. of layers). It works like a charm in my experience.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #54,497 of 63,906
That's a "mod," alright 😉

Decreasing upper midrange/lower treble, for those that don't want to do permanent mods, can be achieved using earbud foams as filter (dampening of that region = no. of layers). It works like a charm in my experience.
Yea, I actually just wanted to experiment with the EDX to try to remove the plastic sounding character by "replacing" the nozzles with metal ones. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO DO PERMANENT MODS OBVIOUSLY, lol.

Actually, I think it maybe better to add damping foam under the lonely metal grill for other modders anyway. I have 5 pairs of EDX to experiment with :smirk: .

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #54,498 of 63,906
Jesus Christ!
I just replaced the original KZ cable by the HiFiHear one:
1615221442492.png

1. It is so soft, in a good way, almost like touching velvet or silk. So relaxing and satisfying to touch.
2. It also goes very smooth all along its path, meaning it weights and doesn't curve or fight gravity. It is very flexible, not "rigid", which is extremely comfy and handy to use.
3. The quality of the materials is amazing, I can't say anything wrong, and it looks even better in real life than in the pictures.
4. Every little detail is perfect, plus the 90º jack plug with the little extra height that makes it compatible with smartphones with thick cases. Love it. Even the Y split ring is very useful, never really used that until now. There is one design problem though: there's "no protection" against cable being flexed 90º at the jack plug joint. The black rubber at the end is very hard to work as a protector against this. That means you can physically store the cable in a very bad position, like the cable at the jack end bent 90º, which will totally damage the cable there, overtime.
5. Although one could think that it's not recommended for hooked IEMs since it does not have any hook tube next to the pins, after using it I can say I prefer this a thousand times over pre-hooked cables. Since this cable is so flexible, it adapts perfectly to your ear. It's a little harder to put on since the pre-made hook helps, but that's just... nothing to worry about.
6. Oh, and finally, the cable rubbing sound is NON existent, at least if set up properly. Another point, amazing cable.

I can't believe these are at $15. It's a steal! I would gladly pay $50 for this cable, even more if you ask me. It's the price I would sell a cable like this if I was the one making it. I remember the day I bought the KZ ZS7 and though the KZ cable was fantastic. The first days it seems to be perfect and durable, but after a few weeks you realize it's a cheap poor cable, at least compared to these. I hope it stays and behaves as high quality as they appear overtime and they doesn't surprise me with things like the cable going rusty or green, peeling, or the cable going much more rigid, or the ends getting damaged do to the lack of protection.

Anyway, one thing, at the pin end, there is one colored dot in each one of the pins:
1615223228303.png

In both sides, once you put L and R IEMs (KZ ZS7 or in the same style/design), the dots in both sides should be pointing front, that's the standard.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #54,499 of 63,906
Jesus Christ!
I just replaced the original KZ cable by the HiFiHear one:
1615221442492.png
1. It is so soft, in a good way, almost like touching velvet or silk. So relaxing and satisfying to touch.
2. It also goes very smooth all along its path, meaning it weights and doesn't curve or fight gravity. It is very flexible, not "rigid", which is extremely comfy and handy to use.
3. The quality of the materials is amazing, I can't say anything wrong, and it looks even better in real life than in the pictures.
4. Every little detail is perfect, plus the 90º jack plug with the little extra height that makes it compatible with smartphones with thick cases. Love it. Even the Y split ring is very useful, never really used that until now. There is one design problem though: there's "no protection" against cable being flexed 90º at the jack plug joint. The black rubber at the end is very hard to work as a protector against this. That means you can physically store the cable in a very bad position, like the cable at the jack end bent 90º, which will totally damage the cable there, overtime.
5. Although one could think that it's not recommended for hooked IEMs since it does not have any hook tube next to the pins, after using it I can say I prefer this a thousand times over pre-hooked cables. Since this cable is so flexible, it adapts perfectly to your ear. It's a little harder to put on since the pre-made hook helps, but that's just... nothing to worry about.

I can't believe these are at $15. It's a steal! I would gladly pay $50 for this cable, even more if you ask me. It's the price I would sell a cable like this if I was the one making it. I remember the day I bought the KZ ZS7 and though the KZ cable was fantastic. The first days it seems to be perfect and durable, but after a few weeks you realize it's a cheap poor cable, at least compared to these. I hope it stays this way and doesn't surprise me with things like the cable going rusty or green, the cable going much more rigid, or the ends getting damaged do to the lack of protection.

Anyway, one question, at the pin end, there is one color dot in one of the pins:
1615223228303.png
I believe those are there so you can plug in the cable in both sides with the dots in the same side, that way you don't make your IEM out of phase. Now, the question is... does it matter if the dot is pointing to the rear or front side of the IEM?
I hope you get what I mean.
With standard 2 pin sockets, the dot should be on the bottom of the plugs. With typical qdc sockets, they should be on the top of the plugs. Ultimately, however, it doesn’t matter, as long as the right and left plugs are connected the same way. If the cable has an ear hook, just connect each side according to the ear hook.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #54,500 of 63,906
Late to the party but I just received my pair of EDX in clear/crystal. Let's see if the hype is real.

These are seriously, the most attractive, generic design shell ever. Different thickness than KS1, same shell as VK4 (except that the VK4 doesn't have vents). Cable's really nice as well. Close-looking to the KB Ear 4-core pink cable in feel, only that the KB Ear is noticeably softer.

First listen is that these have thinner and more recessed midrange compared to the KB Ear KS1 (post burn-in). Looser and leaner bass, as well (though the KS1 pre burn-in had worse quality bass). Will subject them to a few hours of burn-in after a few more songs.

Update 1 (~1 hour): Initially used S stock tips but can't get a good seal. Switched to KS1 stock tips M and achieved that. Quite nice bass quality and extension. Treble is seriously splashy, I don't know how burn-in can possibly fix that. Midrange is recessed and sounds "brittle."

Update 2 (~2 hours): Decided to try the stock tips of the KP580. It works wonderfully - bass is more present, midrange is less thin, and treble smoothens at ouch(though still splashy and peaky). There are less instances of sibilance, as well but still a common occurrence. Soundstage is surprisingly wide but not a lot of depth. Separation is good.

Update 3 (~3 hours): Burn-in time.

Update 4 (~10 hours): After ~7 hours of burn-in, it's still the same. No changes anywhere. Bass is nice, midrange is recessed and still too thin and harsh for my liking, treble is garbage. It is also faking detail-retrieval with the treble peaks. The only redeeming factor is the decent technicalities and the cable. KS1 shell is more comfortable for me.
156726542_263624281941987_1013694995563268700_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #54,502 of 63,906
KZ DQ6

MUCH, MUCH BETTER OOTB than the trash EDX. Build is quite nice as well but that nozzle, man 😕 Shell isn't as big as what you'd expect seeing the pictures. Cable's the same, just in a different color. The four pairs of tips are not usable, for me. Currently using stock KS1 M tips and it fits me well.

*Now using SSP Small stock tips

Update 1 (~2 hours): Bass is quite nice - tight and textured. Elevated but somewhat linear (read: not warm/mid-bass focused). Slightly recessed midrange and not piercing treble. Shell's comfortable for me but the stock cable is annoying with the shape of the IEM. The stock cable works better with a "generic" shell like the EDX, IMO.

Update 2 (~2 hours): Burn-in time.

157990763_440294900574475_8252756338323397252_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #54,503 of 63,906
KZ DQ6

MUCH, MUCH BETTER OOTB than the trash EDX. Build is quite nice as well but that nozzle, man 😕 Isn't as big as what you'd expect seeing the pictures. Cable's the same, just in a different color. The four pairs of tips are not usable, for me. Currently using stock KS1 M tips and it fits me well.

157990763_440294900574475_8252756338323397252_n.jpg
I just my DQ6 yesterday and agree these sound great. They are huge, bigger than the ZAX, and because it protrudes out firthertit brings a bit of discomfort with the cable wanting to run across the top of my ear rather than close to my head. But otherwise really good.

Also I'm coming around a lot more to the BA10 I was complaining about. It is not nearly as tinny as I was thinking but I haven't changed anything. I'd say I'm enjoying them now. Is burn-in a thing for BAs? (assuming it is real in the first place)

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #54,504 of 63,906
I just my DQ6 yesterday and agree these sound great. They are huge, bigger than the ZAX, and because it protrudes out firthertit brings a bit of discomfort with the cable wanting to run across the top of my ear rather than close to my head. But otherwise really good.
Cool to know! The DQ6 fits my ear like a glove and I personally love the protrusion. As with other IEMs, fit is a personal preference.

Also I'm coming around a lot more to the BA10 I was complaining about. It is not nearly as tinny as I was thinking but I haven't changed anything. I'd say I'm enjoying them now. Is burn-in a thing for BAs? (assuming it is real in the first place)
With burn-in, particularly in DD's, I believe it's more of a case-to-case basis. From what I've read (can't prove cause all I've got are pure-DD IEMs/TWS), BA's don't usually change with burn-in, but of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #54,505 of 63,906
For me it's mental adjustment. I cycle between about 8 different IEMs, and depending on what I'm going to/from and the time of day and how much I've been drinking (see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2031886/), there's an adjustment period.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #54,506 of 63,906
Late to the party but I just received my pair of EDX in clear/crystal. Let's see if the hype is real.

These are seriously, the most attractive, generic design shell ever. Different thickness than KS1, same shell as VK4 (except that the VK4 doesn't have vents). Cable's really nice as well. Close-looking to the KB Ear 4-core pink cable in feel, only that the KB Ear is noticeably softer.

First listen is that these have thinner and more recessed midrange compared to the KB Ear KS1 (post burn-in). Looser and leaner bass, as well (though the KS1 pre burn-in had worse quality bass). Will subject them to a few hours of burn-in after a few more songs.

Update 1 (~1 hour): Initially used S stock tips but can't get a good seal. Switched to KS1 stock tips M and achieved that. Quite nice bass quality and extension. Treble is seriously splashy, I don't know how burn-in can possibly fix that. Midrange is recessed and sounds "brittle."

Update 2 (~2 hours): Decided to try the stock tips of the KP580. It works wonderfully - bass is more present, midrange is less thin, and treble smoothens at ouch(though still splashy and peaky). There are less instances of sibilance, as well but still a common occurrence. Soundstage is surprisingly wide but not a lot of depth. Separation is good.

Update 3 (~3 hours): Burn-in time.

Update 4 (~10 hours): After ~7 hours of burn-in, it's still the same. No changes anywhere. Bass is nice, midrange is recessed and still too thin and harsh for my liking, treble is garbage. It is also faking detail-retrieval with the treble peaks. The only redeeming factor is the decent technicalities and the cable. KS1 shell is more comfortable for me.
156726542_263624281941987_1013694995563268700_n.jpg
To be honest, the white tips are utter trash. Try with OG starlines or some wide bore tips. Treble hotness will vanish and sound will seem linear and better. Perfect for commuting if you aren't using TWS. Their true potential lies in tip rolling. OOTB they're still better than most IEMs under $10 but they get elevated to a higher tier when tip-rolled.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #54,507 of 63,906
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #54,508 of 63,906
I say, ditch the copper cable and just get a silver cable instead where the difference is definitely night and day. The copper cable that KZ provides does not go well with the EDX and doesn't do them any justice. So, its no wonder they sound too shouty and splashy. But, swipe them for a silver cable and hear the difference! So, for those that own the EDX, try a silver cable instead. You get quicker and tighter bass response, cleaner and more vivid midrange, and remarkably the treble becomes incredibly detailed. I've been listening to them this past week at work and I don't regret getting them only to know what they're capable of when swapped for silver cables!
Now, I'm not saying they are better than any KZ I own, but by swapping to silver cables, I like the clean signature just as much as my KZ DQ6! For such a low price, they are definitely keepers, IMHO!
WeChat Image_20210311001930(2).jpg
-Clear

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #54,510 of 63,906
I’ve already been kicking around some cosmetic mod ideas for the BA10. I’ll have to see how easily the backs come off.

PS - you guys are killing me with this AS12 talk. My willpower is not that strong lol

Just re-read your post. I had a VERY DIFFICULT TIME removing the BA10 faceplates so I don't necessarily recommend it. I used an unusual tool (sort of a cantilevered set of plyers with unusual lips) I found at my work site to remove the faceplates but I marred the faceplates of the first BA10. Afterward, I had to put multiple layers of masking tape on the tip of the tool to avoid scratching the finish as I applied pressure to separate the faceplate from the main body. Then I used a plastic spudger to continue the separating process.

20210103_094318.jpg

It was tedious.

BTW, in my opinion these still deserve further investigation.
Still my favorite all-BA set.

5C7DB335-F33E-4EEF-B604-0E77BA3D0191.jpeg

Only two sellers left on Amazon that have them in stock. A third seller has a one month delivery window.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back