Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 17, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #54,286 of 63,907
Hi all, today i got my first KZ iem , the DQ6 . i know its 0.75mm connectors , but my question now is , can i use "normal" 2 pin cables or are these wrong polarity ?
Have QDC cables the right polarity for KZ iems ?

thanks for the help
I haven’t been able to perceive any differences between 0.75mm and 0.78mm. My 0.78mm qdc plugs fit the KZs just fine, though there may be some degree of outward pressure placed on the qdc socket, even with the surrounding sleeve of the qdc plug. I’m suspicious that frequent plugging/unplugging of 0.78mm plugs onto 0.75mm sockets, may contribute to the sockets cracking. I’m not sure though.

Standard 2 pin plugs also work just fine. I wouldn’t worry about polarity, b/c as long as you hook up the right and left cables the same way, it will sound fine. Just like with speakers.

Yep my first gen. Andro has pronounced BA timbre. I actually listen to modded ZAX more than Andro lately. Technicalities is not far off either. You will be surprised how much midrange detail there is when you tame the midbass on ZAX. Also there is no comparison when it comes to subbass between the two.
It is remarkable to me how quickly some budget IEMs are catching up to pricy, well established IEMs, with regards to more objective measures/technicalities......then again, when your Campfire Audio IEM and your KZ IEM both have Bellsing BAs....?:unamused:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #54,287 of 63,907
Just got a second pair. I wanted the clear shell.
B05A968C-993B-401D-A345-94EF5ECEA3BF.jpeg

and I decided to pair it with this cable. :smile: Works well together!
2460D21A-6A7F-418F-8006-BDD49FDA2D1F.jpeg

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #54,288 of 63,907
If you polled me across several days and asked which I prefer out of the ZAX, SSP, SSR, TD06 and Smabat X1, I can't guarantee that my answer would always be consistent lol. Your preference also depends on what you're in the mood for.

What I do know for sure, though, is that throwing ever increasing amounts of money at the problem is no guarantee of listening nirvana. It's gotta come from within :)

So you have the new Smabat x1? How do you like it? I only found one single review in Chinese just wonder if the built-in switches are worth trying.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #54,290 of 63,907
The silver ones look way nicer than I expected. Are your others the grey or black ones? Please share a pic of those?

You gotta be pulling my leg with that cable.... right? 😱
Nope, I’m serious about the cable, but I didn’t buy it separately, it just came with the MEST IEMs. Since I have the cable, why not use it.

Here is the other pair.
E0916281-9449-471F-9C8E-213653A0F086.jpeg

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #54,291 of 63,907
So you have the new Smabat x1? How do you like it? I only found one single review in Chinese just wonder if the built-in switches are worth trying.

Hey there. I posted my thoughts and follow-up explorations in these posts:
Extended Impressions
Follow-up discussion on what the switches actually do
My EQ setting for the dual-driver mode
Listening update

In summary, I rate them pretty highly in terms of their compatibility with my specific preferences, but not because either of the stock tunings are done particularly well or because the ability to switch between those tunings is particularly compelling. You will see that I have had to change the cable, change the eartips, and pair them with a fairly powerful source and aggressive DSP to get them to sound acceptable. Is it worth it? For me, I'll have to say yes, very much so.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #54,292 of 63,907
Just got a second pair. I wanted the clear shell.

and I decided to pair it with this cable. :smile: Works well together!
o.O are they(cable) made out of gold or something?? Ok I maybe wrong, but I hardly believe that this cables are worth this much!

You can either wait for the response or go back a couple pages, you will find 2-3 pages worth of talk about Smabat x1, it's switch, mechanism, how to eq etc. Btw as you asked whether the switches work or not, you'll be in a surprise when you see the graph and all!

***edit: sorry it has already been answered, I should have refreshed before replying, lol.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #54,293 of 63,907
The silver ones look way nicer than I expected. Are your others the grey or black ones? Please share a pic of those?

You gotta be pulling my leg with that cable.... right? 😱
Price ratio is very good on these .
5D975742-1F5F-452E-B616-73068E14F308.jpeg
66FE5B5C-3126-4475-95F3-DBD20974FF96.jpeg
2A43157B-F681-44B7-8333-D5A96AB949A2.jpeg

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #54,294 of 63,907
Hey there. I posted my thoughts and follow-up explorations in these posts:
Extended Impressions
Follow-up discussion on what the switches actually do
My EQ setting for the dual-driver mode
Listening update

In summary, I rate them pretty highly in terms of their compatibility with my specific preferences, but not because either of the stock tunings are done particularly well or because the ability to switch between those tunings is particularly compelling. You will see that I have had to change the cable, change the eartips, and pair them with a fairly powerful source and aggressive DSP to get them to sound acceptable. Is it worth it? For me, I'll have to say yes, very much so.
Maybe you liked the journey more than the sound?? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :L3000:

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #54,295 of 63,907
In the USA the ZAX is close to $70 and the ZS10 Pro is close to $50. I am assuming most here must buy from Ali Express
You can get ckx for $67, kz dq6 for 24.30 here in usa. So it's pretty close to Ali price. Its called head concert store, I bought two, seems good. Don't know about their return policy though. Also no ZAX yet.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #54,296 of 63,907
Maybe you liked the journey more than the sound?? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :L3000:

There might be a bit of that, of course, but I think the X1 has the necessary ingredients and tweaking potential to deliver a linear sound signature on a budget once one manages to balance out the bass and treble response around the stellar mids and vocals section. In terms of tonality, I could listen to my tweaked X1 all day without feeling fatigued or wanting to switch to another transducer - I like it a lot.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #54,298 of 63,907
Can you by any chance compare the slam between CKX and Zax ?

Unfortunately, I do not have the ZAX just yet.

However, I will be ordering one set within the next few to see what all the hubbub is about.

41wc6sMOBML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

with an upgrade cable to compliment the color combination.

71QJg5c8PSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I need to hear for myself how the ZAX differ from the ZS10 Pro.

graph-48.png

What type of tips do you use on the BQ3?

I found the Rock Zircon mediums (I usually wear large) work best for my ears on the BQ3.
YMMV

20210215_181616-1.jpg

I have a lot of work to do yet on my IEM rank list, but so far ZAX still impress me. I have them easily favored over ZSN Pro, AS10, TC-01, and EA1. For music, I prefer their tuning over the distant-sounding YBF; not sure about FPS gaming yet. Using ZAX currently with Legacy 3 cable and T2 foam or Spiral Dot tips.

Please elaborate on why you favor the ZAX over the TC-01.

Much appreciated.

The modified ASX do everything for me, I did found my lucky match in sound preference.

P. S. DQ6 and ZAX are really great KZ IEMs at ~$25 and ~$50, respectively, in my opinion.:)

My crazy sunrise-to-sunset working hours for the past few months should start to normalize in the coming weeks so I should finally be able to get to my ASF wide nozzle project soon.
I'm still waiting to find the BLACK DQ6 on Amazon so I can try the wide nozzle mod on it as well. I'm curious about how the mod will effect the soundstage width and depth on the DQ6.

If a wide nozzle mod smooths out the 7khz rise then the DQ6 will likely be in a class of its own amongst sub-$100 in-ears. As a successful sub-$100 Tri-Dy it already is in a class of its own but improved soundstage would, likely, elevate its status.

In the meantime, does anyone have new information regarding the new Z3 hybrid?

Hdaba88a1014c43ff89a2b61b6d3c1de5I-1.jpg

Edit:
Trying to get used to Head-Fi's new software upgrade.
41wc6sMOBML._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71QJg5c8PSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
graph-48.png
20210215_181616-1.jpg
Hdaba88a1014c43ff89a2b61b6d3c1de5I-1.jpg

Not a wireless in-ear guy, per se, but if that's the Xun dynamic in there then I will definitely be picking up a set of the Z3.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #54,299 of 63,907
Yep my first gen. Andro has pronounced BA timbre. I actually listen to modded ZAX more than Andro lately. Technicalities is not far off either. You will be surprised how much midrange detail there is when you tame the midbass on ZAX. Also there is no comparison when it comes to subbass between the two.
Many of us will need to get a second pair of ZAX after this post. Including myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back