Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 3, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #54,076 of 64,222
20210201_182315.jpg
Been going back and forth between this and the CCA C10. The DQ6 beats the C10 in pretty much every way (looks, build quality) except for times when I prefer warmer sound of the C10.

Edit: I've noticed that the soundstage on the C10 feels significantly wider than that of the DQ6. I think I'm starting to lean more towards the C10 now. :sweat_smile: They're both great either way.

I haven't bought any new KZ/CCA in-ears since the CCA C12. However I've gotten some SpinFit CP360 tips and at least in my case and particularly for the C12, they turned out to be perfect Goldilocks tips. The Large 360s with the soft silicone ensure that ideal seal which results in an optimum bass response for the C12 while attenuating that upper mid and that treble region with the extra energy to erase any "shoutiness" and brightness. Note I have small ears with smallish meatus.

Intrigued, I bought inexpensive generic soft silicone wide-bore tips (L) from a seller in shopee.ph hoping it would do the same for the C10 as the CP360s did for the C12. They did, in the sense that the C10 became truly comfortable. And of course I'm simply marveling at the bass resonance, the natural mids and the smooth yet somehow detailed, resolving treble that I strove to write about several long pages back. No harshness, no purported "metallic" KZ hybrid timbre. So, whenever I intend to settle down for long multiple-album listening sessions, I reach for the C10.

Stay Cool, Keep Safe!

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #54,077 of 64,222
finally my kz aptx hd arrived, and pair it up with my kz as10, with the note 10 plus + wavelet 30% as10 profiling eq, it sounds "fun" on trivium's new album in mqa, too bad note only has aptx and not the HD, but at least some leeway

too bad the volume jump is from "very quiet" to "TOO MUCH" in just one volume step, like a low gain jump to high gain
Have you tried the "Sound Assistant" app for your Note 10? You can download it from the Galaxy Store and it lets you adjust the size of each volume step (along with some other useful features). Not sure if that affects the volume of the bluetooth device though.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #54,078 of 64,222
Just got my BA10's in. So far I'm liking the sound. They sound good out of the box, great sound stage, imaging and good coherency. Not too sure yet about the bass but this is my first all BA so I'm not used to it.

But that fitment... definitely not the most comfortable IEM I have to put it lightly. It irritates on a few points but we'll see what it'll be like after a few days after my ears have adjusted a bit. Might get better over time or this I going to be one of those that I'll listen to every once in a while for short periods at a time.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #54,079 of 64,222
Just got my BA10's in. So far I'm liking the sound. They sound good out of the box, great sound stage, imaging and good coherency. Not too sure yet about the bass but this is my first all BA so I'm not used to it.

But that fitment... definitely not the most comfortable IEM I have to put it lightly. It irritates on a few points but we'll see what it'll be like after a few days after my ears have adjusted a bit. Might get better over time or this I going to be one of those that I'll listen to every once in a while for short periods at a time.
That's good to hear. The BA10's bass is one of the best implementations of the 22955, somewhat DD like. As far as fit is concerned it's worth doing a bit of tip rolling, I actually ended up with the medium Starlines supplied with the BA10!

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #54,080 of 64,222
That's good to hear. The BA10's bass is one of the best implementations of the 22955, somewhat DD like. As far as fit is concerned it's worth doing a bit of tip rolling, I actually ended up with the medium Starlines supplied with the BA10!
Not sure what tip rolling (or cable rolling) means, I haven't been in this hobby long but my educated guess is trying different types of tips (cables).

The KZ Medium Starlines generally is the best fit for me and I do get a decent seal. But it's the body of the IEM in combination with my weird right ear that is the problem. The extended bit for the socket pinches my tragus (that small flap in front of the ear canal) on both sides and on the right every corner puts some pressure on the antihelix (the rim that the IEM's rest in). If tips help with the pinching I'll see what I've got that I can try but I'm not sure if it will.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #54,081 of 64,222
Speaking of tips, I always think what if KZ actually designed their Starline tips to be reversed? And we're just here to discover that like a little secret behind the scenes. Don't get too serious though I'm just joking. Hope you guys are doing great.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #54,082 of 64,222
Not sure what tip rolling (or cable rolling) means, I haven't been in this hobby long but my educated guess is trying different types of tips (cables).

The KZ Medium Starlines generally is the best fit for me and I do get a decent seal. But it's the body of the IEM in combination with my weird right ear that is the problem. The extended bit for the socket pinches my tragus (that small flap in front of the ear canal) on both sides and on the right every corner puts some pressure on the antihelix (the rim that the IEM's rest in). If tips help with the pinching I'll see what I've got that I can try but I'm not sure if it will.
Yes, your educated guess was correct. I am lucky regarding the BA10 to have fairly large ears so do not have a problem with discomfort. Perhaps a longer tip may give you a good seal and just move the body of the IEMs away from the problem area.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #54,083 of 64,222
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #54,084 of 64,222
I have to say, I am really enjoying the DQ6. It's one of KZ's best DD sets.

That said, the CCA CKX has been ordered.

One silver and one black.

20210203_174552.jpg

Silver CKX and upgrade cable.

H51ce0b2e3fd1417698f5ae42e6d688a3J.jpg

61hYhNnKkFL._AC_SX679_-2.jpg

Black CKX and upgrade cable.

20210203_174759-1.jpg

51hexewUzZL._AC_SX679_-1.jpg

61I8t0Dne5L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Monica-Chandler-Dance-On-Friends.gif

Just got my BA10's in. So far I'm liking the sound.

The secret to getting a good fit with the BA10 is to chop the collar off of the eartip sizes you'll never use and use them as spacers. The collar will keep the eartip sitting near the end of the nozzle which keeps the BA10 corners from touching your ears.

Then make sure you have a great seal so you can hear that glorious bass.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #54,085 of 64,222
Have you tried the "Sound Assistant" app for your Note 10? You can download it from the Galaxy Store and it lets you adjust the size of each volume step (along with some other useful features). Not sure if that affects the volume of the bluetooth device though.
yes i have but didn't influence volume, it still goes 79 quite to 80 explosion

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #54,087 of 64,222
Good day everyone,
I've been wondering regarding the longevity of the pins that are on these IEMs, mainly the 0.78m 2pins, 0,75mm 2pins, and MMCX. I am unsure as to which thread I should ask this to but decided to ask it in the KZ one since it has the most posts, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I'm rather new here.
Aight, so how exactly 'robust' are these connectors? I for the time being only have one IEM with 0.78mm connector and been changing it between the bluetooth module and the cable that it came with, what are the chances of it getting too loose due to being changed over and over again?
Thank you and have a good day.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #54,088 of 64,222
Good day everyone,
I've been wondering regarding the longevity of the pins that are on these IEMs, mainly the 0.78m 2pins, 0,75mm 2pins, and MMCX. I am unsure as to which thread I should ask this to but decided to ask it in the KZ one since it has the most posts, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I'm rather new here.
Aight, so how exactly 'robust' are these connectors? I for the time being only have one IEM with 0.78mm connector and been changing it between the bluetooth module and the cable that it came with, what are the chances of it getting too loose due to being changed over and over again?
Thank you and have a good day.

I would say MMCX are generally less robust than two pin types. I've not had issues with 2 pin cables so far in my IEM journey, but always with MMCX. Especially if you do frequent changing or cables or bluetooth adapters. The female part of the MMCX may get loose and it starts spinning like a windvane and loose connection intermittently. Other times the MMCX comes so tight that u need pliers or a tool to disconnect it.

MMCX come in various grades though, from cheap ones that cost a dollar or less, to higher quality ones that are way more expensive. As expected, a lot of budget chifi incorporate the cheaper MMCX inside, so that can be a potential source of failure compared to higher quality MMCX.

I would suggest for MMCX types, just leave a favourite cable on the IEM and avoid frequent cable changing if possible.

2 pin connectors come with their own issues. Such as different variants - 0.75 mm vs 0.78 mm, angled vs straight, recessed vs protruding, QDC/TFZ etc. They are more sturdy than MMCX to me at least, but compatibility is sometimes an issue.

I've had some audiophile friends that snapped the 2 pin off inside the IEM housing or had cracked 2 pin housing at the female side, but for myself haven't experienced 2 pin issues so far.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #54,089 of 64,222
I would say MMCX are generally less robust than two pin types. I've not had issues with 2 pin cables so far in my IEM journey, but always with MMCX. Especially if you do frequent changing or cables or bluetooth adapters. The female part of the MMCX may get loose and it starts spinning like a windvane and loose connection intermittently. Other times the MMCX comes so tight that u need pliers or a tool to disconnect it.

MMCX come in various grades though, from cheap ones that cost a dollar or less, to higher quality ones that are way more expensive. As expected, a lot of budget chifi incorporate the cheaper MMCX inside, so that can be a potential source of failure compared to higher quality MMCX.

I would suggest for MMCX types, just leave a favourite cable on the IEM and avoid frequent cable changing if possible.

2 pin connectors come with their own issues. Such as different variants - 0.75 mm vs 0.78 mm, angled vs straight, recessed vs protruding, QDC/TFZ etc. They are more sturdy than MMCX to me at least, but compatibility is sometimes an issue.

I've had some audiophile friends that snapped the 2 pin off inside the IEM housing or had cracked 2 pin housing at the female side, but for myself haven't experienced 2 pin issues so far.
I see, thank you for the reply.
I was thinking of getting a new IEM so I can have one for daily listening (cabled) and the old one for sport activities (with the bluetooth module), but seeing the 2 pin doesn't seem to have an issue that the MMCX one has, I guess I will be holding on my purchase on a new IEM.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #54,090 of 64,222
I see, thank you for the reply.
I was thinking of getting a new IEM so I can have one for daily listening (cabled) and the old one for sport activities (with the bluetooth module), but seeing the 2 pin doesn't seem to have an issue that the MMCX one has, I guess I will be holding on my purchase on a new IEM.

Just get a 2 pin IEM then. Or maybe buy two cheap iems, one dedicated to listening and one dedicated to sports, so you won't need to swap stuff.

There's cheap KZs like EDX that have quite good reviews and are relatively affordable. I think u can get two for $12 usd, just skip a restaurant meal for music bliss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back