Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 11, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #53,686 of 64,391
ehmmm, makes me want to get BA10, is it flea powered? Or need DAC?
Works perfectly fine off of a phone or tablet for me. I haven’t had time to explore it with other sources yet.

Got my order today, was supposed to be BA10 plus an addtl Kbear cable... Well only the cable was in the package and the front looked like it had been torn open and taped back together... Hoping they were just shipped separately and the BA10 is on its way.. What do you guys think.... Would the BA 10 fit in this package??
For reference, here is the BA10 box and a KBEar cable box.

Attachments

• 510C8629-1E8B-4AAA-9D1B-9AF65AC89826.jpeg
    510C8629-1E8B-4AAA-9D1B-9AF65AC89826.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #53,687 of 64,391
As my first foray into the chi-fi world, I've been really loving the KZ ZAX. So much that I've already ordered better cables and xelastec tips to tweak them further. Now I'm eager to get my next set of chi-fis :)

Does anyone have some (KZ or not) suggestions at <USD$100 for IEMs that don't need an amp? Preference for some v-shape and presence to the bass.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #53,688 of 64,391
As my first foray into the chi-fi world, I've been really loving the KZ ZAX. So much that I've already ordered better cables and xelastec tips to tweak them further. Now I'm eager to get my next set of chi-fis :)

Does anyone have some (KZ or not) suggestions at <USD$100 for IEMs that don't need an amp? Preference for some v-shape and presence to the bass.
KZ ZS10 Pros fit the bill. V-shaped frequency response and some oomph to the bass and crispy treble on the top end, but not peaky like some other KZ IEMs. If you're fine with a more flat frequency response get the BLON BL03s. The tonality is really good on the BLONs. The BLONs are 32 ohms though, and I found that using an amp makes it sound better, but they are completely usable without an amp.

The ZS10 Pros go for around 40-50 USD and the BLON BL03s go for 39-ish USD

Don't go off of my word alone, as I am also relatively new to the hifi scene in general too. Read the reviews and thoroughly research before buying.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #53,689 of 64,391

The newly hyped Tripowin TC-01 (single DD - Silicone + PU coating) seems to fit half the bill hehe, some head-fiers are already swearing by it over Blon offerings and Beryllium Urbanfuns. Easy to drive too they say.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tripowin-tc-01.24878/

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #53,691 of 64,391
Wow! My favorite KZ that I’ve heard thus far. It’s actually one of my favorite all BA IEMs. Right now, I‘m liking the tuning more than the Fearless S8Pro, as it’s not nearly as intense in the upper mids. Soundstage and imaging also seem better on initial listen. The bass is also really good on the BA10, with the strengths of BAs, yet it sounds quite a lot like a DD, with powerful impact and rumble

Does it really differ from AS10 even if they basically had the same internals? I skipped BA10 because of the fit, as it's one of the major complains. Now I'm starting to regret it. Lol.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #53,693 of 64,391
Wow! My favorite KZ that I’ve heard thus far. It’s actually one of my favorite all BA IEMs. Right now, I‘m liking the tuning more than the Fearless S8Pro, as it’s not nearly as intense in the upper mids. Soundstage and imaging also seem better on initial listen. The bass is also really good on the BA10, with the strengths of BAs, yet it sounds quite a lot like a DD, with powerful impact and rumble.

C78A1E58-7FEE-4091-85CF-339A07A1B268.jpeg

i remembered wanting to buy the Fearless because of the reviews, but luckily had the chance to audition it after a friend bought it.. because it turned out i didn't like it.
Now this makes me curious about the BA10.. how do you compare it to the T2+, ZS10 Pro, and the Blons? i'm sure there would be differences in sound signature, but do they sit on the same level of SQ?

also does anyone have pictures of the red and black color in real life?

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #53,694 of 64,391
Wow! My favorite KZ that I’ve heard thus far. It’s actually one of my favorite all BA IEMs. Right now, I‘m liking the tuning more than the Fearless S8Pro, as it’s not nearly as intense in the upper mids. Soundstage and imaging also seem better on initial listen. The bass is also really good on the BA10, with the strengths of BAs, yet it sounds quite a lot like a DD, with powerful impact and rumble.

C78A1E58-7FEE-4091-85CF-339A07A1B268.jpeg
Welcome to the BA10 appreciation club! Spread the word! Lobby KZ for a BA10 Pro! Nice 16 core, BTW.

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #53,695 of 64,391

KZ BA10.

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #53,696 of 64,391
There was a great sounding TinAudio T515 in the Middle Ages with 10mm + 6mm Dynamic Drivers. Still have one somewhere...

The T515 is "the one the got away" for me. It was very difficult to find. Tin Audio in their infancy, I suppose.

20210110_093245.png

20210110_093155.jpg

The more I listened to the DQ6, the more I am loving it.

The DQ6 is perfect for long listening session as its treble is pretty smooth sounding

Overall, highly recommended for anyone looking for a great sounding IEM that is cheap. I will even say get the DQ6 instead of ZS10 pro or ZSX.

Looks like my DQ6 finally arrives tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Looking forward to putting the DQ6 through its paces.

Wow! My favorite KZ that I’ve heard thus far. It’s actually one of my favorite all BA IEMs. Right now, I‘m liking the tuning more than the Fearless S8Pro, as it’s not nearly as intense in the upper mids. it sounds quite a lot like a DD, with powerful impact and rumble.

Thanks for the feedback

and once again, FR graphs provide helpful information but they don't tell the whole story.

graph-31.png

BTW, I've been using that 16 core with my silver/turquoise AS12 and it's a stunner.

I love KZ headphones and how they sound. I had several models so far - ES3, ES4, ZS4, AS10 - and somehow ES3 is the one I liked the most.

DQ6, ES3, AS16 have been my favorite kz to date

The ES3 didn't get enough love and attention upon its release. If my memory serves me correctly it was released approximately when the ZS5 was released so it got overshadowed and lost in the shuffle. I have an ES3 and although its not a 10 out of 10 model I thought it was a great variation of the ubiquitous but capable ZST. The ES3 bass counters the healthy but unpredictable upper midrange with a toe-tapping addictive bounce that works well with EDM. I wouldn't recommend the ES3 for every genre but it will get your blood pumping when your jam comes on.

That's what an earphone should do.

Mission accomplished.

After listening for a bit, my ZS6's are kinda peaky in the highs.
Is this an indication that my ZS6 is a v1 because the v2's sound dark and distant?

Congratulations, sounds like you, indeed, have a set of ZS6 v1.

Glad to see that you brought them back to life.

Slater can probably advise you on the various mods you can do to tame the treble to your liking.

BA10 kicks @$$. Glad to see some are finally starting to look past the boxy shell and appreciate the sound instead.

Agreed, the $70 BA10's existence and price tag illuminate the entire price-to-performance debate.

Of course, I believe this is true of the AS12 as well but I'm unashamedly biased.

Listening to the BA10, all I can think is WHY THE .... DO THE ASX AND ASF EXIST?!

I can't sit still on this one.

My ASF is an absolute 8 out of 10. I really enjoy its low end and mid-centric presentation. After having it for several weeks the only drawbacks I can point out are the 1500hz peak and that the treble is a little too polite.

The 1500hz peak give the upper midrange a bold vividness that make the ASF sound alive.

graph-32.png

Occasionally, it can be a bit strident, but only on occasion.

For instance

Between the 1:47 minute to 2:30 minute mark on the vocals overstep.
I remedied this by drawing down the 1500hz by a few db.

In addition, I found that the gentle percussion in the track, starting at the 25 second mark, should have slightly more presence so I remedied that as well.

I find the tone, timbre, density and weight of instruments and vocals to sound uncannily natural for an all-BA set. I understand the controversy surrounding the ASF but, those two caveats aside, it's works incredibly well with my gear.

I currently have narrow bore silicone eartips on the ASF which only intensify the upper midrange. Wider (ZSN Pro) nozzles and wide bore silicone eartips should afford more composure for the upper midrange, release some of the lower treble and let the lower frequencies breathe.

I've been overwhelmed at work so I still haven't swapped for wider nozzles yet. When I do swap for wider nozzles I will also install wide bore eartips which should break up the concentrated upper midrange (1500 hz), spread out the bass and slightly release the lower treble. If my expectations are realized then I won't need to EQ anything and I'll probably have one of the more natural sounding all-BA sets for an estimated total of $90 (ASF + ZSN Pro nozzles + wide bore silicone eartips + KB Ear 8-Core QDC cable) which is just ridiculously inexpensive.

Thank you, KZ Acoustics.

I get it, though. Some people just "hate" the ASF but I think KZ is on to something with the "s" model balanced armatures. It's unfortunate that the dynamic-like tone, timbre and richness of the "s" model balanced armatures is lost in the controversy of the unpopular tuning. To me, the ASF is a ba**$$ set that needs minor EQ adjustments or perhaps minor modifications (nozzle swap and wide bore eartips) to run side by side with KZ's best (BA10 & AS12).

I spent three uninterrupted hours this evening comparing the BA10, AS12 and ASF back to back. I am looking forward to modding the ASF because I believe they will be able to hold their own, even in the presence of the BA10 and AS12.

Rest assured, that's no easy task but given the ASF's inner hardware I'm confident that it will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #53,697 of 64,391
i remembered wanting to buy the Fearless because of the reviews, but luckily had the chance to audition it after a friend bought it.. because it turned out i didn't like it.
Now this makes me curious about the BA10.. how do you compare it to the T2+, ZS10 Pro, and the Blons? i'm sure there would be differences in sound signature, but do they sit on the same level of SQ?

also does anyone have pictures of the red and black color in real life?
Here you are:
IMG_20210112_101545.jpg

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #53,698 of 64,391
anyone compared the BA10 and ZAX ?
It is all-BAs vs a hybrid, so it is very much dependent on personal taste and preferences.
I personally really like ZAX a lot other than the DD bass.

BA bass of BA10 is one of the best, the rest is OK and competent, but the older drivers are noticeably grainy (I am personally OK with it, but some can call it "less refined").

Then, in my opinion, ASF could be BA10+, if not for those nozzle designs; while ASX be AS16+ (they are to me with a wide nozzle, they get all the listening time now, no rotation among KZ, only SFR MT300 with its unique treble and least dynamic bass get some).
Does it really differ from AS10 even if they basically had the same internals? I skipped BA10 because of the fit, as it's one of the major complains. Now I'm starting to regret it. Lol.
While the drivers are the same, the crossover is definitely different (4-way in BA10 vs. 3-way in AS10 according to Master @Slater) and I can attest that BA10 are not as prominently impedance dependent as AS10 (I would still keep in mind that as for all-BAs with the nominal impedance of 14-15 Ohm, the source is important despite they can be reasonably driven from a smartphone).

The acoustic chamber is also different, AS10 treble is likely more dampened; the treble of BA10 is one of the most extended of all KZs.

I often think of BA10 as a refined version of AS10, but reach more for AS10 - its warm unique signature was my first all -BA love.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #53,700 of 64,391
Got my order today, was supposed to be BA10 plus an addtl Kbear cable... Well only the cable was in the package and the front looked like it had been torn open and taped back together... Hoping they were just shipped separately and the BA10 is on its way.. What do you guys think.... Would the BA 10 fit in this package??
Thanks, As I thought the BA10 box is much bigger and would be very difficult to fit in the same package although seller is saying they were shipped together.. Seller advised me to make a video of me opening package which of course I can't do because I already opened it.. Then they have me usps contact info for me to get proof from PO that it was stolen, like they are really gonna admit that... Then file a dispute with my photos.. Very frustrating especially because I was so looking forward to getting these.. Maybe it will still come separately but I feel like I'm coming to the end of my AE buying journey.... Just too risky and anxiety provoking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back