Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #53,071 of 63,843
I just got the KZ ZAX. I really enjoy the detail, but the low mids/bass areloose, slow, and almost overpowering on many tracks.

Fortunately they EQ very well. I didn't notice much of a difference with foam tips. Anything else i should check out around 100 or less with more neutral tuning that is detailed? Listen to synth, old prog like Eloy, metal like Rannoch and Obsequiae, ambient jazz and classical. Imaging, detail, non bloomy or bloated bass, good mids...yeah.

Moondrop SSP.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #53,072 of 63,843
Does anyone with ASX try to use sliver cable for the earphones?
I have tried many combinations.... still think ASX is some kind of noisy
but the silver cable makes it much more clearer and separation IMO
or any other suggestion for the cables? i really want to improve ASX as I think it is not that bad..... still believing ^^"

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #53,073 of 63,843
I just got the KZ ZAX. I really enjoy the detail, but the low mids/bass areloose, slow, and almost overpowering on many tracks.

Fortunately they EQ very well. I didn't notice much of a difference with foam tips. Anything else i should check out around 100 or less with more neutral tuning that is detailed? Listen to synth, old prog like Eloy, metal like Rannoch and Obsequiae, ambient jazz and classical. Imaging, detail, non bloomy or bloated bass, good mids...yeah.

if you are looking for that, not going to happen with low tiers IEM. Tri Starsea, FIIO FH 3 or FH7, Hidizs Mermaid and recently NFAudio NM2+, those will satisfy your reequirement.

cheapest prolly Hidizs on its website for sale $99, the rest is $129 and up.

so far I got the NM2+, retailed ar @169, superb, comparable to $200+ Chi IEMs and $1000 US made IEMs

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #53,074 of 63,843
BA10 has 4-way crossover. AS10 only has 3-way. 4-way crossover equates to better coherency between the multi drivers. It’s also more expensive to design and implement.

That’s one of the primary reasons why the ZS7 sounds so good. It is the only KZ (besides the BA10) that uses a 4-way crossover.
Another reason is that there are no BAs in the nozzles in the ZS7 and BA10.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #53,075 of 63,843
if you are looking for that, not going to happen with low tiers IEM. Tri Starsea, FIIO FH 3 or FH7, Hidizs Mermaid and recently NFAudio NM2+, those will satisfy your reequirement.

Well...this is embarassing. I was using my LG G7 to listen to the KZ ZAX and I completely forgot about the stupid impedance detection on it. I usually have something over 50ohms plugged in, never had any decent IEMs (monoprice mp80) before which are way less sensitivie than Sennheiser, Beyers, Hifimans

Put a 3.5mm extension on it to trick it into the line out mode, and voila. Much better. Also checked on some other sources, MOTU M4, JDS Atom, etc. and can confirm they're much better now. Bass is still a bit loose and undefined in those low mids, but it's listenable now without EQ and only really shows its ugly head on certain tracks.

The NM2+ looks like a good shout though. I was really tempted to spend more and go for the Starsea, Shouer Tape Pro, or Starfield. Decided to play it a little safer with the KZ to get an idea of fit and tuning. The MP80s I have are not a good standard to start with.

I will likely grab something a bit more high end if some good sales come up over Christmas and keep the ZAX as cheaper, fun, don't care if they **** up IEMs. Working from home has drove me to in ears. Clamp from the 58x and even the Beyers just unbearable for more than an hour, or my ears are sweating no matter what. IEMs a little uncomfy at first but then I forget they're in the rest of the day.

I think maybe the Starsea would pair well with the ZAX since I like classical. Just a little wary of spending a lot of $$$ when you have no idea if the fit will be good or not. It's completely different than on ears, where I can tell from weight, headband style, reviews what the fit will be like.

Cheers

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #53,076 of 63,843
Well...this is embarassing. I was using my LG G7 to listen to the KZ ZAX and I completely forgot about the stupid impedance detection on it. I usually have something over 50ohms plugged in, never had any decent IEMs (monoprice mp80) before which are way less sensitivie than Sennheiser, Beyers, Hifimans

Put a 3.5mm extension on it to trick it into the line out mode, and voila. Much better. Also checked on some other sources, MOTU M4, JDS Atom, etc. and can confirm they're much better now. Bass is still a bit loose and undefined in those low mids, but it's listenable now without EQ and only really shows its ugly head on certain tracks.

The NM2+ looks like a good shout though. I was really tempted to spend more and go for the Starsea, Shouer Tape Pro, or Starfield. Decided to play it a little safer with the KZ to get an idea of fit and tuning. The MP80s I have are not a good standard to start with.

I will likely grab something a bit more high end if some good sales come up over Christmas and keep the ZAX as cheaper, fun, don't care if they **** up IEMs. Working from home has drove me to in ears. Clamp from the 58x and even the Beyers just unbearable for more than an hour, or my ears are sweating no matter what. IEMs a little uncomfy at first but then I forget they're in the rest of the day.

I think maybe the Starsea would pair well with the ZAX since I like classical. Just a little wary of spending a lot of $$$ when you have no idea if the fit will be good or not. It's completely different than on ears, where I can tell from weight, headband style, reviews what the fit will be like.

Cheers

I was thinking you could also use some slightly wider bore tips, which will accentuate the highs & mids, while lessening the bass impact a bit. Worked well for my ZAX for classical and synth. The ePros Horn shaped tips or Spinfit CP100 might do it for you if the dongle solution doesn't work out. The ZAX is a good, solid baseline for moving up to next tier.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #53,077 of 63,843

Cheers

i would play it safe, from the reviews out there, clear winner is either Starsea or NM2+.

personally I have NM2+, no complaints, amazing IEM for sure

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #53,078 of 63,843
Using a G7 myself I get where you're coming from. Some things just don't sound right on it when compared to my X7. They just come alive on the X7, that said the ZAX never sounded bad to me on the G7.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #53,079 of 63,843
You guys sold me on ZAX. I bought them with IBasso DC03. Yeah, I know it's possibly not necessary, as some of you mentioned but I actually wanted to check if there would be a difference with my source since I don't have something more decent than an outdated 150$ smartphone from 2016 and a PC with really old Realtek ALC892.
I have also thought of getting DC04 because it has a balanced 4.4 output, but I got rid of the idea, I doubt it would be as useful as standard 3.5 that I'm able to put into anything. I have also bought the KBEAR 16-core pure copper cable(not silver-plated) and... Spinfits 100, 800 and 145. I'm used to foam tips but let's see. I have a feeling that at least one of them may not fit on the ZAX. But anyway, I could sell any mentioned gear on the aftermarket, right? Haha.

Being completely honest with you guys. Coming from ZS1 then to ZS5(v2) having a tremendous difference and then now DC03 + ZAX. I hope to see a positive difference.

I do also hope that I won't fall too deep into this rabbit hole.

Probably you can look at the KZ ZAX.
would definitely recommend the ZAX then, and I think you’d be quite happy with them.
Agreed, you can't go wrong with the ZAX.
Just got my NM2+ and been enjoying them, but I still have lingering memories of my beloved ZAX. My last memory of them was an intense, spiritual journey with a sour gummy octopus edible and Universe by Laraaji. The ZAXs are unreal with it's clarity, enveloping bass+energy, and engrossing soundstage.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #53,080 of 63,843
Using a G7 myself I get where you're coming from. Some things just don't sound right on it when compared to my X7. They just come alive on the X7, that said the ZAX never sounded bad to me on the G7.
Try it. Plug them straight in. Then put a 3.5mm extension in by itself to trigger line out mode, then plug ZAX into the extension. There's a huge boost in volume, especially for the bass.

These are incredibly sensitive to tips too. I finally found a pair that work better than the stock. Too large an opening or too deep and the bass blooms too much. Too small or shallow and treble gets sibilant. I think i have a similar opening and depth as the stock, just with a wider shell.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #53,081 of 63,843
Try it. Plug them straight in. Then put a 3.5mm extension in by itself to trigger line out mode, then plug ZAX into the extension. There's a huge boost in volume, especially for the bass.

These are incredibly sensitive to tips too. I finally found a pair that work better than the stock. Too large an opening or too deep and the bass blooms too much. Too small or shallow and treble gets sibilant. I think i have a similar opening and depth as the stock, just with a wider shell.
Try the azla xelastec eartips. It is expensive, but it is good.

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #53,082 of 63,843
You guys sold me on ZAX. I bought them with IBasso DC03. Yeah, I know it's possibly not necessary, as some of you mentioned but I actually wanted to check if there would be a difference with my source since I don't have something more decent than an outdated 150$ smartphone from 2016 and a PC with really old Realtek ALC892.
I have also thought of getting DC04 because it has a balanced 4.4 output, but I got rid of the idea, I doubt it would be as useful as standard 3.5 that I'm able to put into anything. I have also bought the KBEAR 16-core pure copper cable(not silver-plated) and... Spinfits 100, 800 and 145. I'm used to foam tips but let's see. I have a feeling that at least one of them may not fit on the ZAX. But anyway, I could sell any mentioned gear on the aftermarket, right? Haha.

Being completely honest with you guys. Coming from ZS1 then to ZS5(v2) having a tremendous difference and then now DC03 + ZAX. I hope to see a positive difference.

I do also hope that I won't fall too deep into this rabbit hole.

wow you went overboard bro... ZAX is just good by itself, no need upgraded tip and cable, they have provided good tips and cable.
also you don't need DAC, sounded the same with my Iphone vs BTR5.

The beauty of KZ, sounds good out of the box...

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #53,083 of 63,843
wow you went overboard bro... ZAX is just good by itself, no need upgraded tip and cable, they have provided good tips and cable.
also you don't need DAC, sounded the same with my Iphone vs BTR5.

The beauty of KZ, sounds good out of the box...

I'm personally not a big fan of their starline tips as it doesn't help with the isolation. But I do like their cable. I currently use the ZAX's cable for my NM2+ as it offers a good mic option since the majority of my listening is off my phone and I'm not one to hear differences in cable types. It also works well with my Qudelix 5K

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #53,084 of 63,843
Coming from ZS1 then to ZS5(v2) having a tremendous difference and then now DC03 + ZAX. I hope to see a positive difference.

Which ZS1 version do you have? What does the nozzle look like when you take the eartip off? Is there a brass metal piece with a hole in the center, or a stainless mesh covering the nozzle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back