Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 29, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #52,006 of 63,919
I think they have almost all categories from under $100. I only have vsonic gr06 and its not that good imho.

Yes completely agree. KZ is head and shoulders above everyone in sub-100 bucket. GR06 is past it's sell by date but VSonic is still wildly popular in China. Although their focus is now in the $100+ category but with VS7 and GR07 bass edition they're still dominant in the 100-150 category. One of the major drawback of Vsonic IEM is their longevity. GR series somehow is made with an expiry of 365 days. VS series is little better and the base model at~ $120 is a solid IEM.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #52,007 of 63,919
The mature tuning, massive soundstage, surprising amount of detail, accurate imaging and top notch instrument separation that the ZAX pump out for $52 (11.11 price before coupons) is frigging ridiculous. That is all. I'm sure there's better, but the ZAX offers such price: performance that it really raises the bar IMO.

I'm still not hearing any sibilance on mine. I'm not hearing the "thin vocals" either. They're a sweet spot between the muddiness of the CA16, which are a little too warm for me, and the CCA C12 for example, where I find the lower mids too recessed and thin. There's both clarity and weight. I think the soundstage has some height too. Height is insignificant compared to width and depth (both of which are amazing) but it's there, enough to not make the soundstage feel like a squeezed oval.

CCA C12 is going to be $25 after coupons for 11.11 too. Which is also a killer price on what is still a good IEM. It loses to the ZAX in terms of technicalities and soundstage and the tuning is more fatiguing but it's still value.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #52,008 of 63,919
From what I read so far, I kind of want to have the ASX now. It sounds like it could be a worthy upgrade for me. Also I am getting more and more curios and just need to know how these really sound.

They already list the sale price, but I am not sure if I can wait that long, lol.
Can the shown coupons be added on top of the sale price?

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #52,009 of 63,919
Totally. Only a few can even dare to go toe to toe with them in the budget segment. But they have absolutely no competition when it comes to inventory. With their mass friendly tuning, they have more hits than misses. No wonder they're the top dogs in budget segment and almost every brand is playing catch-up to them. I believe that with ASX they want to challenge VSonic's dominance in the ~$100 category.

Heck I've got some $250/$300 all BA iem's that "Can't touch this"! For me they exceed any idea I ever had of budget Chi-Fi :smirk: (Yes I realize many have fitment issues with them but if you can get that right) these can challenge at least for me some $500 BA offerings:scream: There I said it:smirk:

Glow Plugs.JPG

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #52,010 of 63,919
Heck I've got some $250/$300 all BA iem's that "Can't touch this"! For me they exceed any idea I ever had of budget Chi-Fi :smirk: (Yes I realize many have fitment issues with them but if you can get that right) these can challenge at least for me some $500 BA offerings:scream: There I said it:smirk:

Glow Plugs.JPG
Well said!
Hope KZ will make BAX one day, taking the best of BA-10 and ASX (at least the shell shape) :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #52,011 of 63,919
Well said!
Hope KZ will make BAX one day, taking the best of BA-10 and ASX (at least the shell shape) :)
For me, I wish KZ would get into dynamic drivers with unpronounceable-coatings, as well as use higher perfomance BAs. While keeping similar price points as they do today (ie: cheap). That should keep their competitors on their toes, pricing-wise.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #52,012 of 63,919
From what I read so far, I kind of want to have the ASX now. It sounds like it could be a worthy upgrade for me. Also I am getting more and more curios and just need to know how these really sound.

They already list the sale price, but I am not sure if I can wait that long, lol.
Can the shown coupons be added on top of the sale price?
Nothing come close to the imaging and instrument separation from ASX in my collection. Bass hit hard, fast while still has weight to it too, nicely textured, detailed and controlled. There is no bass bleed whatsoever. Vocal is very intimate, has warmth which most KZ lacks but not overly warm that it becomes weird, detailed and very distinguish (very easy to hear the wording). Treble is detailed, faster decay on cymbals than ZAX, no sibilant for me at least.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #52,014 of 63,919
i’ve just ordered my pair of ASX! i’m so stoked :> i wish i didn’t get my ZSX and got the ASX from the get go instead
Well you never know if you will like the ASX or not, but if you like the sound of the ZSX, you will most likely like the ASX.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #52,015 of 63,919
Why do they do it to people?
(Graphene is a single layer sp2 carbon, whichever else is in those cables surely improve (increase) only their cost....)

Well you gotta try what you gotta try, just like all these chi-fi earphones. But my go-to cable is the TRN T2, it doesn't do any magic but it sounds so balanced and doesn't go wrong either. Paired it with the ASX and I think I am starting to like the sound.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #52,016 of 63,919
To tell you the truth in the universe of affordable Chifi, nothing can beat KZ at this moment.

In terms quality control and innovation, KZ blows pass through TRN, Blon, CCA, etc. hands down.

Most of other Chi Fi need to sound good with EQ, while KZ for most part, you plug your IEM, you already have a heavenly sound even for the cheapest one KZ ED9.

But I highly prefer the TRN V90s which have high quality metal casing and very detailed treble. I agree they don't sound too good without EQ but they sound better than my ZAX after EQ

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #52,017 of 63,919
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #52,018 of 63,919
Well you gotta try what you gotta try, just like all these chi-fi earphones. But my go-to cable is the TRN T2, it doesn't do any magic but it sounds so balanced and doesn't go wrong either. Paired it with the ASX and I think I am starting to like the sound.

I experiment a bit with the EQ and I really have to set 4K and 8K to -4 to remove extremely uncomfortable ear piercing sound

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #52,019 of 63,919
Do you find the treble a bit ear piercing at time especially on vocal tracks? I probably would like this one if the treble is smoother. I find myself enjoying the sound with this pair on some instrumental tracks but really find too busy on others especially tracks with female vocal or cello. Any tricks you can share or it is all track dependent?
How long have you had your ASX? I've been listening to it for 4 days 8 hours+/ day and no more ear piercing treble now. Can you post a link to any songs that you find busy?

This song is quite busy but no ear piercing whatsoever now.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #52,020 of 63,919
How long have you had your ASX? I've been listening to it for 4 days 8 hours+/ day and no more ear piercing treble now. Can you post a link to any songs that you find busy?

This song is quite busy but no ear piercing whatsoever now.

I actually received mine on 14th Oct. :gs1000smile: Plugged in to run-in for maybe over 100 hours already and I still hear the treble peak.

I always test my earphones with:

ArtistAlbumComment
Adele25stage is quite narrow and really ear piercing
Katherine JenkinsHome Sweet Homeditto
Shane FilanLove AlwaysGood listening experience
Thibault NoallyBach & Coditto
SheppardBombs Awayditto
Klaus Paier, Asja ValcicSilk Roadditto
Ophelie Gaillard & Pulcinella OrchestraVivaldi: I colori dellombraDepends on the day, sometimes I find the tracks busy sounding, especially after listening with my other IEMs which are "thinner sounding" and with a naturally wider stage.
Ariana GrandeDangerous WomanGood listening experience

The ASX is actually quite a lot better than my initial impression and I think can sound bad or uncomfortable after listening with other earphones with V shape tuning. I think from my experience they just don't sound good on vocal tracks with thick female voices such as Adele and Katherine Jenkins (who sings with an opera voice).

Anyway, setting the 4K and 8K EQ really does the trick, maybe I just have treble sensitive ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back