Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #50,296 of 63,919
...and I just ordered the ZSX!
I hope the KZ ZST X doesn't have massive bass like the ZSX, otherwise I might have made a mistake.
:FACEPALM:
The KZ ZSX has just the right amount of bass to be fun sounding imo. I like the bass quantity. Could use more extension and rumble though. I prefer to have stronger subbass than midbass.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #50,297 of 63,919
I'm at a crossroads.

The ZSX is, quite literally, my favorite IEM of all time. However I'm having the wanderlust and feel like there's gotta be some upgrade from them but I've yet to figure out what.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #50,298 of 63,919
I'm at a crossroads.

The ZSX is, quite literally, my favorite IEM of all time. However I'm having the wanderlust and feel like there's gotta be some upgrade from them but I've yet to figure out what.
Which direction do you want to go?

From my perspective its bass is its weakest aspect. It's not controlled well enough so definition is lacking and it lacks extension as well and thus EQing had limited effect.

The midrange and treble on the other hand are frankly amazing for the price.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #50,300 of 63,919
Which direction do you want to go?

From my perspective its bass is its weakest aspect. It's not controlled well enough so definition is lacking and it lacks extension as well and thus EQing had limited effect.

The midrange and treble on the other hand are frankly amazing for the price.

Meanwhile I'd argue the bass is its strongest aspect. The treble is vastly improved from the murderous ZS6 at least, but lacking extension? My dude a sine sweep shows these things go down below 30Hz with authority. I think you might need new tips or work on your seal.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #50,301 of 63,919
Meanwhile I'd argue the bass is its strongest aspect. The treble is vastly improved from the murderous ZS6 at least, but lacking extension? My dude a sine sweep shows these things go down below 30Hz with authority. I think you might need new tips or work on your seal.
Perhaps i phrased it wrongly. In terms of absolutes the ZSX is still far from the best bass representation i've heard but the mids and highs are very close to the best iems i've heard. So while i have to nitpick to say the ZSX is less refined in the mids and highs compared to the best iems i've heard i can immediately say that there are iems with better bass.

To simplify it even further, assuming 10 is the best i've ever heard
Bass: 7
Mids: 9
Treble: 9

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #50,303 of 63,919
You guys are killing me with the ZSX talk! It’s one of the few KZs I don’t own. I’m trying to buy less gear, not more gear lol
Relatable. Thats why i took a 9 month break from Head-fi.

On the week i came back i already bought the ZSX and JVC FDX1

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #50,304 of 63,919
Relatable. Thats why i took a 9 month break from Head-fi.

On the week i came back i already bought the ZSX and JVC FDX1

haha, I was nuts to think I could make it through the entire year 2020 without making a single audio purchase. Oh well, there’s always 2021. YOLO, right?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #50,306 of 63,919
So what is the soundstage of ZSX like?....also can the "Bass: 7" be improved via EQ ??
No. I tried but It just can't get it to sound right. It sounds too loose.

Soundstage is normal in size. I find soundstage in iems to be more influenced by the tuning than anything with neutral typically sounding smaller while bassier sounds wider. The depth of the soundstage depends on the clarity. The fit can change your perception too, deeper fits feel smaller and shallow fits feel wider.

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #50,307 of 63,919
No. I tried but It just can't get it to sound right. It sounds too loose.

Soundstage is normal in size. I find soundstage in iems to be more influenced by the tuning than anything with neutral typically sounding smaller while bassier sounds wider. The depth of the soundstage depends on the clarity. The fit can change your perception too, deeper fits feel smaller and shallow fits feel wider.
Thanks!...sounds like a deal-breaker to me...TRN-VX & Tri-i3 both have superb stage - deep & wide....plus the fit of TRN is excellent!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #50,308 of 63,919
Thanks!...sounds like a deal-breaker to me...TRN-VX & Tri-i3 both have superb stage - deep & wide....plus the fit of TRN is excellent!
if only you take a peek on CCA thread that CA16 made VX like a toy (said the guy that owned Z1R, Legend X, IT04, IER M9, H40, FH7 etc.).. oopsiee!!!

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #50,309 of 63,919
Don't take my word for it. After listening to so many iems I've been desensitised to the soundstage as some are so wide and open feeling they don't even sound like iems.

I trust many other KZ ZSX can tell you more about it. :D

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #50,310 of 63,919
Ok I just literally got the KZ-ZS10 Pro this past week and already one of my favorites of all time. Watched that youtube video where the dude said the ZSX sounds virtually the same in every aspect except for superior “micro detail” (more extended high end).

As a big fan of the ZS10 pro.... Just tell me do I need to buy these too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back