Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 18, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #50,056 of 63,914
I ordered Urbanfun ISSO14 from AE during March Anniversary sale. Still waiting for it as well as a balanced upgrade cable. Both were purchased from the same seller. They have been in contact with me voluntarily...in other words, they have sent me updates on the shipping status, even though I HAVE NOT bugged them about it. My items were returned back to the seller by the shipping company, as a result of COVID 19 . They found another shipping company and everything was resent to me. I'm still waiting for my purchases to arrive, but I'm not stressing out about it. We are in the midst of a global health pandemic. It's reasonable to expect that international shipping is going to be delayed, compared to what we were used to in the past few years. FYI folks...the days of quick delivery are over. Shipping companies are now required to follow a whole new set of rules. Social distancing in the workplace, PPE, etc...all this means less people on a sort line or in a station that provides package delivery. Which means; it's inevitable that stuff is gonna take a whole lot longer to get to you. Time to shut up, stop complaining and SUCK IT UP! People are losing their lives and dying by the thousands because of this pandemic. Given that fact, in the grand scheme of things; is it REALLY that important that your latest audio acquisition is running a bit late in getting to you??!!

May 19, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #50,057 of 63,914
I have been wanting to order the ZSX from AE(first time ordering), but perhaps it is better to just order from Amazon right now given the current situation? If something is wrong, returns seem easier as well, but they are $53 vs $36. No rush at all but I would like to get them... eventually.

May 20, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #50,058 of 63,914
I have been wanting to order the ZSX from AE(first time ordering), but perhaps it is better to just order from Amazon right now given the current situation? If something is wrong, returns seem easier as well, but they are $53 vs $36. No rush at all but I would like to get them... eventually.
I'd worry more that the seller is dropshipping and you're just paying 17$ extra for nothing.
I haven't had any issues with returns on either of these sites, so I wouldn't worry as much :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #50,059 of 63,914

It all comes down to how to much patience one has.

For me I actually don't mind paying a bit extra by buying locally for a speedy delivery and a hassle free return policy. On a side note $17usd is almost $90 bucks after conversion to my currency, so I'll probably look elsewhere.

May 21, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #50,060 of 63,914
I got myself a KZ ZS7 after reading the reviews on this thread, and found it rather underwhelming.
My DD IEM's are Sony MDR XB50AP , and I have a Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD which i use for slightly more critical listening, but was finding somewhat fatiguing, and was looking with something more resolving, but less fatiguing, but having something of either the XB50's humped mid bass boom, or the Xiaomi's Deep bass extension.
Good thing about the ZS7- yes its not fatiguing, it seems to have more extension, but the highs seem very grainy. Bass is nothing great to write home about - it has neither quality or quantity. Not sure what the reviewers who praised the ZS7 as a basshead IEM were hearing. Maybe i need more burn in

Now onto more practical matters - the tips are hard and uncomfortable. I am NOT a fan of foam tips - any recommends on a reasonably priced pair of silicone tips which can get a better fit?

May 21, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #50,061 of 63,914
Now onto more practical matters - the tips are hard and uncomfortable. I am NOT a fan of foam tips - any recommends on a reasonably priced pair of silicone tips which can get a better fit?
Unfortunately, from experience, no tips that fit one person is going to fit another person the same. You need to try a whole bunch out, if you're into good IEM sound, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

May 21, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #50,062 of 63,914
I got myself a KZ ZS7 after reading the reviews on this thread, and found it rather underwhelming.
My DD IEM's are Sony MDR XB50AP , and I have a Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD which i use for slightly more critical listening, but was finding somewhat fatiguing, and was looking with something more resolving, but less fatiguing, but having something of either the XB50's humped mid bass boom, or the Xiaomi's Deep bass extension.
Good thing about the ZS7- yes its not fatiguing, it seems to have more extension, but the highs seem very grainy. Bass is nothing great to write home about - it has neither quality or quantity. Not sure what the reviewers who praised the ZS7 as a basshead IEM were hearing. Maybe i need more burn in

Jvc spiral dot / dot++ or azla sedna short
Both are wide bore. Fits are great with majority people.
Only they are a bit expensive for eartips

May 21, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #50,063 of 63,914
May 21, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #50,064 of 63,914
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001062135373.html

After radiosilence for wired gear for the last few months and just churning out TWS, KZ has a stealth release of the a multi driver monstrosity:
CCA CA16 (7BA + 1DD). Competitor of the TRN VX??

Tip courtesy of @RikudouGoku and @zedbg

So who want to be shocked?

Screenshot_20200521-200625~2.png

V90 vs C12 vs ZSX

Now this VX vs C16.. KZ brand no contest?

May 21, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #50,065 of 63,914
Interesting that it's launching as a CCA with no KZ version as yet. Perhaps the separation of the two brands is finally happening with KZ being the TWS brand and CCA being the wired, audiophile brand. Probably beats churning out two versions of everything they do!

May 21, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #50,066 of 63,914
Interesting that it's launching as a CCA with no KZ version as yet. Perhaps the separation of the two brands is finally happening with KZ being the TWS brand and CCA being the wired, audiophile brand. Probably beats churning out two versions of everything they do!
CCA make quite distinct IEMs based on KZ designs.

Their vert first, C04, are based on ZSA but milder and with a different shell, which fits me much better.

CA4 are close to ZSN pro and ZSN, but are my favourite out of these three by the shell design and W-like tuning.

CA10 are unique in between ZS10 and ZS10 pro by the timeline.

A10 are unique (the other siblings are from KB and Tripowin, no KZ) and served well for me in exploring untamed treble.

C12 are designed simpler than their very close sibling, ZSX. I like ZSX lows, fit and overall better. C12 treble is slightly more cheerful and more likeable to me.

C16 are appreciably milder in treble tuning than AS16. The best th8ck mids. C16 are also noticeable less expensive than AS16. Partly for this lower price, C16 mesh screens are based on AS10 design are a last-minute thought and do not survive well heavy usage, though easily replaceable (so I can't hold it as any significant flaw).

So I am looking forward to see how CA16 will do, ordered them today. :)

May 24, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #50,068 of 63,914
First Post on head fi in quite a while. Looks so different too. Had to stay away from here to suppress my upgraditis.

In any case, I am bored with my current gear just ordered a pair of ZSX and I am wondering if it would benefit from a cable upgrade.

How good/bad are the stock cables on the ZSX? Has anyone tried using higher quality cables with KZ iems and how much do they benefit from it?

May 24, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #50,069 of 63,914
First Post on head fi in quite a while. Looks so different too. Had to stay away from here to suppress my upgraditis.

In any case, I am bored with my current gear just ordered a pair of ZSX and I am wondering if it would benefit from a cable upgrade.

How good/bad are the stock cables on the ZSX? Has anyone tried using higher quality cables with KZ iems and how much do they benefit from it?
You are in luck, you may get them some time next year based off of current shipping times.

May 24, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #50,070 of 63,914
You are in luck, you may get them some time next year based off of current shipping times.
I'm in Malaysia so I should get them in about 15 days. Buying stuff from China is pretty solid here.

Standard shipping from China took less time to arrive here than USPS from the US did. (just received said items a week ago)

Btw has anyone benefited from burning in the ZSX? And has anyone experimented with blocking off the vents?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back