Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #42,121 of 63,942
EDR1 or anything of that form factor isolates better than earbuds and really open types of gear, but I'm loth to say that that's isolating well. Per my experience everything of that form factor isolates worse than ED16, ES4, ZSN types, which in turn isolate worse than ZS3\4 (AS10 is also good, according to reviews, I don't own them). And after that there's customs, I guess. And active isolation.

Hooray for picking fights on adjective usage!

Agreed. The absolute best isolating IEMs are ZS3 and ZS4. It’s literally like wearing earplugs.

The issue is OP was treble sensitive. So that honestly rules out KZ hybrid models in my opinion. Now you’re left with KZ dynamics. If those, I felt the EDR1 was a good choice.

Although the ZS3E would be an awesome choice. But since I’ve never personally heard it, I can’t recommend it.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #42,122 of 63,942
Agreed. The absolute best isolating IEMs are ZS3 and ZS4. It’s literally like wearing earplugs.

The issue is OP was treble sensitive. So that honestly rules out KZ hybrid models in my opinion. Now you’re left with KZ dynamics. If those, I felt the EDR1 was a good choice.

Although the ZS3E would be an awesome choice. But since I’ve never personally heard it, I can’t recommend it.

ES4 and ZS10 would probably be fine, but the rest of their hybrids for sure are a no go. ZS1 is quite mellow in the treble. ZS3 too. ZSE is as well if I recall that one accurately. Lots of decent models still readily available :) Though I'd probably just direct them to the CCA C10, lol. I haven't heard something so warm and cushy in ages. Like a puffy pillow of sound :cloud:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #42,123 of 63,942

For me, AS10 is the best sealing, second is ZSN (I never had ZS3-ZS7 though).
AS10 is pretty gentle on treble :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #42,124 of 63,942
ES4 and ZS10 would probably be fine, but the rest of their hybrids for sure are a no go. ZS1 is quite mellow in the treble. ZS3 too. ZSE is as well if I recall that one accurately. Lots of decent models still readily available :) Though I'd probably just direct them to the CCA C10, lol. I haven't heard something so warm and cushy in ages. Like a puffy pillow of sound :cloud:
Is C10 much warmer than AS10 to your ears?

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #42,125 of 63,942
Is C10 much warmer than AS10 to your ears?

I'd have to listen side by side but my first impressions were that it was extremely warm, so probably, yeah. But I'm just going off what I recall thinking at the time. It arrived last week, I listened for a few hours while working on the ED16 review, then back in the box it went. Unlike the C04, the C10 doesn't just sound like another KZ.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #42,126 of 63,942
Voicemaster and others who are waiting on C16, there is a thread specific to them that needs support......the wait is worth it voicemaster!!

I’m a CCA fan for sure.......thinking CCA, BQEYZ, TRN, KZ we are in for some serious fun and wallet abuse in the coming months...!!

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #42,127 of 63,942
ZST is old model, even ZSN that priced at $14 is better than ZST.
for KZ you can get ZS7, or AS10 its around $50
for CCA you can get C10, CCA is sister company to KZ
or you can try BQEYZ iems, or ****, or Moondrop Crescent or Tin Audio T2

They are all around $50 or less. All models that i mentioned above is good price / quality ratio. Find the one that suits your sound signature preference.

very interesting hints dude! :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #42,128 of 63,942
EDR1 is small, comfortable, inexpensive, isolates well, sounds great, and needs no amp (it’s easily driven by any phone or DAP). It can be worn up or down, and it’s cheap enough that it gets lost, stolen, or damaged on a flight it’s no big deal. It’s treble is not hot or harsh at all..

I have quite a few early generation KZ stuff but, other than ate/atr, I have completely forgotten all their model names.
So imagine my surprise when I googled to see what EDR1 looked like!
I just took this photo of the other 2 earphones I have stashed in my laptop bag.
Backups.jpg

**** (something) & EDR1 are my 2 backups for flights when my ATR breaks/gets lost.
Both with reasonable isolation from the plane pressure.
EDR1 sounds like the ATR with less energy, and **** for more clarity.
:)

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #42,129 of 63,942
I have quite a few early generation KZ stuff but, other than ate/atr, I have completely forgotten all their model names.
So imagine my surprise when I googled to see what EDR1 looked like!
I just took this photo of the other 2 earphones I have stashed in my laptop bag.

**** (something) & EDR1 are my 2 backups for flights when my ATR breaks/gets lost.
Both with reasonable isolation from the plane pressure.
EDR1 sounds like the ATR with less energy, and **** for more clarity.
:)

Great minds think alike!

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #42,130 of 63,942
Dont get me wrong, i just explain to him to not believe that there is a $50 iem that can beat $1000 iem. What i was trying to say is just to open up the reality. I got old "outdated" $100 iem also, and my AS10 crush them. New audio technology and chi-fi is really great right now. Some sub $50 iem really can beat "not good $100-200" iems. But still miles to beat "a good $100-200" (which is can match with other not good $400 iems). Simple words I just want to say be careful not to hyper hyped. Clearly no other intentions here.

If we talk about value of the iem, i would definitely agree with you. even ZSN is clearly better value than Andromeda. So like i said, he said he heard that $50 iem can beat $1000 iem. and he would like suggestion for that, a giant slayer. I just say there is no such a thing (a $50 iem that can kill $1000, but i did i suggest him CCA C10, or cheaper ZSN, he asked for a step up from his ZST. A good iems that go further beyond its price? a lot. I just dont want him to get very high expectations. Thats all buddy. no offense here.
Not that i hate KZs dont get me wrong. I love them. i bought so many KZs.
Your last line is very true indeed. step up from $5 iem to ZS7 or C10 will be very huge different, but step up from there to DM6 there is no wow effect, but refinement, mature sound, quality. And to the TOTL level, its a hundred dollars for just a step by step increment in sound quality. worth the price? yes for some of us, no for some of us. They who chasing TOTL iems are looking for perfection, not value, how expensive it is, they really need it. It is back to you after all. For me myself, i wont. my budget limit wont pass $1000. Everyone can set their budget limit, and be happy with maximum result he can get from an iem, either at $20 or $200 or even $2000.

Sorry for the misunderstanding then. I think we have the same opinions :D

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #42,131 of 63,942
My 150+ hour-burned-in ZSAs w/ Symbio-Ws and Penon copper-Silver cable have seen a lot of use between both my XDP-100r and iPhone, and I can say that it is absolutely giving my Symphony-superior Roxanne V1 and eye-opening-amazing TSMR3 a run for their money. My revised TRN V10 is second among my cheap Chi-Fis, and BK50 Pro is third from lack of use, which is expected. Still, with everything considered, I can say my $15 ZSAs are the ultimate complimentary IEM to most of my preferred genres and are the most chosen ones in my IEM collection.:)

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #42,132 of 63,942
:yum: CCA C16

Just received my CCA C16 yesterday and took a quick listen to them last night before burning them in and man! are they good! ...And believe it, or not! They have a similar sound signature to the tia Fourte', which I auditioned many times at my friends headphone shop here in Beijing, China, but with slightly more forward vocals! Sure, because of the slightly forward presentation, it causes a little more sibilance, but man! I'll take the C16 anytime than dishing-out $3,599 dollars, equivalent to a used car, which is the price of the tia Fourte's! Hopefully, I'll hear better results after the burn-in process. Can't wait!!!
:point_right: Let the burning begin! :punch::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Personally, they sound better with my aftermarket medium Auvio silicone ear tips, for now! :wink:

I'll be writing a review in the coming weeks with PIC's! :writing_hand:

-Clear :ok_hand:

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #42,133 of 63,942
I can say my $15 ZSAs are the ultimate complimentary IEM to most of my preferred genres and are the most chosen ones in my IEM collection.:)

I too have a ZSA, Can someone point me to some wide-bore eartips for the same.
Pref on AE or GB, like $2 for 6 pcs. I can't afford the pricey ones.
On AE the bore widths of eartips are seldom mentioned.

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #42,134 of 63,942
:yum: CCA C16

Just received my CCA C16 yesterday and took a quick listen to them last night before burning them in and man! are they good! ...And believe it, or not! They have a similar sound signature to the tia Fourte', which I auditioned many times at my friends headphone shop here in Beijing, China, but with slightly more forward vocals! Sure, because of the slightly forward presentation, it causes a little more sibilance, but man! I'll take the C16 anytime than dishing-out $3,599 dollars, equivalent to a used car, which is the price of the tia Fourte's! Hopefully, I'll hear better results after the burn-in process. Can't wait!!!
:point_right: Let the burning begin! :punch::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Personally, they sound better with my aftermarket medium Auvio silicone ear tips, for now! :wink:

I'll be writing a review in the coming weeks with PIC's! :writing_hand:

-Clear :ok_hand:

I think judging from FR, they're quite forward on high mids dont they? suggestion dont put too wide bore tips, because of prone to sibilance / high mid peaks. And they are all BA driver, burn in wont be a long process.
Comparison with your C10 and ****? I made my oath not to take another KZ for a long time, i can get pass over ZS7, but really tempted with either C10 or C16. do they have much improvement over C16? becuase the price leap is so much. C16 is cost more than 3X C10. not on budget category definitely.

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #42,135 of 63,942
48th hour of a 96 hours burn-in of the AS10: A quick comparison using - Waiting for the punchline, Extreme, a guitar-heavy rock group. On the AS06, high hats (treble) were prominent, while the bass was tight and nimble. Vocals a bit lean. On the AS10, it's slightly quieter volume than AS06. High hats, though still grainy, now some distance away. And lead vocal stands out with more body now. The drum kit seems to be "correctly" positioned on the stage now (back), as is the lead vocal (forward). Bass is strong, but still a bit murky; should clean up in due time. It bodes well for a post burn-in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back