Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 27, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #25,607 of 63,932
What is the easiest way to burn in headphones? A specific youtube track on loop? A special app (android)?

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #25,608 of 63,932
What is the easiest way to burn in headphones? A specific youtube track on loop? A special app (android)?
Pink noise or music are considered safer choices than something like white noise (which can potentially damage tweeters and the like). Seems like YouTube or a signal generator app / website would all be equally easy? :shrug:

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #25,609 of 63,932
Pink noise or music are considered safer choices than something like white noise (which can potentially damage tweeters and the like). Seems like YouTube or a signal generator app / website would all be equally easy? :shrug:
Thanks, found a 10h pink noise on youtube.
Just play it on regular volume?

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #25,610 of 63,932
Thanks, found a 10h pink noise on youtube.
Just play it on regular volume?
Opinions vary, but generally yes, regular to slightly elevated (or reduced) volumes. Pink noise is a lot safer than something like white noise, but at beyond a certain volume level (generally well above what you'd ever want to stick in your ears) you can incinerate internal parts with any signal, even without DC or DC-like crud making it into the signal (DC takes much less power to incinerate stuff in the context of headphones). :p

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #25,611 of 63,932
Ehhhh...Do you like having loads of treble and bass? Do you mind having muffled vocals? Because that's what the KZ sound seems to be all about.

You could certainly find a more balanced earphone, like the Marshall Mode. But you won't get the "raw detail" that KZs with loads of sharp treble have.

Personally, I like having a somewhat mellow immersive sound without aggressive treble that immediately reminds me that I have earphones jammed into my ear holes. I don't care if I can't hear the most minute details in my music. I just want to relax and enjoy the music.

But if you want to hear sounds you never heard before and don't mind the occasional "zing!" then go for the ZS6!

We get it. You love the Mode. Spread the Mode love in an appropriate thread instead of every post you make in the KZ thread. That's why it's there; https://head-fi.org/threads/marshall-mode-eq-a-very-underrated-set.755034/ :ok_hand:

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #25,612 of 63,932
There are two plug to the earpiece types, type A (ZS3/ZS5/ZS6) and type B (ZST/ES3/ED12). Type B connectors need to be trimmed down slightly to fit into type A housings.

There are a few different cable types:
silver (SPC) 4-wire with white plastic connectors, angled plug
also available covered in gold colored foil with black connectors, angled plug
grey OFC SPC 4-wire with black connectors, angled plug
silver SPC tri-braid with metallic looking connectors and larger metal straight plug

Most type A connectors are straight, most type B are angled, but the tri-braid cables have short straight connectors and have only been available in type B until just recently.
For the most part the tri-braids tend towards the lowest resistance (expected given additional material). The other upgrade cables are mostly relatively similar (with some old outliers). All the upgrade cables appear to have separated ground runs. :shrug:
This is the one I found that interested me: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...32842771094.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.tg5IOc
Is this one a good upgrade for the standard cable or do you have a better alternative in this price-range?

Less good-looking alternatives I found are these:
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...32831882268.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.tg5IOc
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...32812065485.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.tg5IOc

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #25,613 of 63,932
Ehhhh...Do you like having loads of treble and bass? Do you mind having muffled vocals? Because that's what the KZ sound seems to be all about.

You could certainly find a more balanced earphone, like the Marshall Mode. But you won't get the "raw detail" that KZs with loads of sharp treble have.

Personally, I like having a somewhat mellow immersive sound without aggressive treble that immediately reminds me that I have earphones jammed into my ear holes. I don't care if I can't hear the most minute details in my music. I just want to relax and enjoy the music.

But if you want to hear sounds you never heard before and don't mind the occasional "zing!" then go for the ZS6!

Aren't you the guy that keeps babbling about the Mode in this thread? Why are you here? Does Marshall sponsor you?

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #25,614 of 63,932
This is the one I found that interested me: [REDACTED]
Is this one a good upgrade for the standard cable or do you have a better alternative in this price-range?
That's the tri-braid - lowest resistance on average, slick looking, not much to complain about there now that they're available with type A connectors too. Not supposed to link that store on here though. :shrug:
grey OFC SPC
silver SPC

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #25,615 of 63,932
Could someone share his/her experience on the GB shipping times? Does the shipping with registered mail compared to the unregistered mail in gearbest faster brothers? the next shipping cost next to the registered mail is 11 USD going to my country, is it worth the 11 USD to pay for the shipping fee?

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #25,616 of 63,932
We get it. You love the Mode. Spread the Mode love in an appropriate thread instead of every post you make in the KZ thread. That's why it's there; https://head-fi.org/threads/marshall-mode-eq-a-very-underrated-set.755034/ :ok_hand:

The thread died 2 years ago...I am just so bitter that a new cheaply made earphone from China with a disgusting "V-shaped" tuning that makes folk and alternative rock music sound awful (drowning out the vocals and turning the cymbals to 11) gets wayy more praise than a well-tuned earphone with a great looking frequency curve...under $50 sometimes $20 on sale.

Whoever said that the Marshall Mode has a V-shaped frequency response is calling a duck a swan. It's definitely pretty well balanced with the exception of a noticeable bass boost. They're definitely warm too.

The Marshall Mode has just raised the bar so high for me. They are my benchmark for affordable earphones. So I compared the ZS5 V2, ATE and ZSE to them and they sound so poor in comparison. Only the ED7 was somewhat decent considering the price.

Granted, it has more to do with my deep hatred of V-shaped earphones with hot treble that make my music sound awful than "raw sound definition" metrics.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #25,618 of 63,932
The thread died 2 years ago...I am just so bitter that a new cheaply made earphone from China with a disgusting "V-shaped" tuning that makes folk and alternative rock music sound awful (drowning out the vocals and turning the cymbals to 11) gets wayy more praise than a well-tuned earphone with a great looking frequency curve...under $50 sometimes $20 on sale.

Whoever said that the Marshall Mode has a V-shaped frequency response is calling a duck a swan. It's definitely pretty well balanced with the exception of a noticeable bass boost. They're definitely warm too.

The Marshall Mode has just raised the bar so high for me. They are my benchmark for affordable earphones. So I compared the ZS5 V2, ATE and ZSE to them and they sound so poor in comparison. Only the ED7 was somewhat decent considering the price.

Granted, it has more to do with my deep hatred of V-shaped earphones with hot treble that make my music sound awful than "raw sound definition" metrics.

Thanks for your replies. I don't think I'm gonna go with the Marshalls as the reviews on these are mixed. Also, I would like to buy one with detachable cables this time around.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #25,620 of 63,932

As long as you refuse the idea that impedance matching is of importance, you're going to have pretty mixed results if you try to play with anything people label as "source dependent" (ie non-linear impedance, especially with multi-driver setups)... :shrug:

Doesn't take much to build a voltage divider...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back