Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 23, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #22,006 of 63,917
Guys when we are discussing cables... I just can't make a decision about a cable for the ZS5

This one:
http://s.aliexpress.com/RNBVvUNb
(I'm a little worry about possible oxidation)

Or this one mentioned recently:
http://s.aliexpress.com/IZNrYvAn

Which one do you prefer as an upgrade from the classic thin silver cable?

I just ordered the first one. I am personally more concerned about the connectors than about it turning green. I have one of the KZ upgrade cables, but the 2.5mm jack is a loose fit in my phone. The original ZS5 cable is much better in this respect. I switched back to the original ZS5 cable for now.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #22,007 of 63,917
thank you guys for helping. i like es3 much. and read zs6 has balance issues. somewhere people write zs5 has sound like 100 plus iems and because of that when i see its price 15 usd i think should i buy? because of i dont have high price iems i ask you the question.

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #22,008 of 63,917
thank you guys for helping. i like es3 much. and read zs6 has balance issues. somewhere people write zs5 has sound like 100 plus iems and because of that when i see its price 15 usd i think should i buy? because of i dont have high price iems i ask you the question.
Don't believe in who make that kind of assumption. As others said, the basic comment for everything is like that.
Chi-fi is making progress day by day, but as the budget segment grow, also do the higher. It's just that now we can buy something cheaper that some years ago could be worth more money. It's best to try to compare and understand what kind of signature, balance and tonality do you want from an headphone, than listen to that kind of pointless comment.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #22,009 of 63,917
I couldn't wait for my KZ ZS6 to arrive so I ordered the KZ ATE. Knowing Chi-Fi, they'll probably ship 1 week sooner than the ZS6.

I read a bunch a reviews online and they seem right up my alley. I like warm sounding headphones. I am just a little worried about the treble. I just hope it's not too shrill. The ED9s gave me headaches.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #22,010 of 63,917
I couldn't wait for my KZ ZS6 to arrive so I ordered the KZ ATE. Knowing Chi-Fi, they'll probably ship 1 week sooner than the ZS6.

I read a bunch a reviews online and they seem right up my alley. I like warm sounding headphones. I am just a little worried about the treble. I just hope it's not too shrill. The ED9s gave me headaches.

No, ATE is not sharp like the ED9 (although it's much less sharp with the shiny gold filter). The ED9 uses a titanium driver, which can be very bright and sometimes sharp. ATE uses a PET driver.

Also, if you want a little more bass out of the ATE, you can tape or glue the vent at the nozzle. It makes a world of difference.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #22,011 of 63,917
why-god-why.jpg
So what's sibilance anyway? Or does the fact that I like the sound chalk/nails make when scratching a blackboard disqualify me from ever understanding sibilance? :S

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #22,012 of 63,917
Those cables can be found on Amazon too btw (at a hefty premium):
https://www.amazon.com/****-KZ-ZS5-Replacement-Headphones/dp/B0756TQQPZ/
I've seen that cable on amazon but in the description it says it's silver plated cable and gold is just a colour of the cable.
I'm confused , exactly the same item on alieexpress is called gold plated but on amazon is silver plated in gold (yellow) colour
https://www.amazon.com/****-KZ-ZS5-Replacement-Headphones/dp/B0756SR2Y2/?th=1

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #22,013 of 63,917
I've seen that cable on amazon but in the description it says it's silver plated cable and gold is just a colour of the cable.
I'm confused , exactly the same item on alieexpress is called gold plated but on amazon is silver plated in gold (yellow) colour
https://www.amazon.com/****-KZ-ZS5-Replacement-Headphones/dp/B0756SR2Y2/?th=1
Pretty sure the "gold plated" is just some gold colored foil over silver plated wires - iirc a native speaker confirmed this is how they're listed in Chinese? But I don't have links or anything to confirm that.

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #22,014 of 63,917
You have right, It happened on my thin silver cable already and it turns out that I'm not a huge fan of green :deadhorse: The gray cable with the gray version of ZS5 looks gorgeous though
Well you might want to consider 2.5mm copper cable here, cost a little bit more $19 ($2 off with coupon). They are very comfortable, no microphonics & balanced; furthermore you can use them on both ZS5 and ZS3.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #22,015 of 63,917
ZS5 have more clarity than ZS3, bigger soundstage, more details and brighter highs. ZS3 are more bassy and low-fi, but more comfortable and way less harsh on highs and sibilance.
To me, they are different beast. ZSE is already more similar to ZS3, with warm and details added, but with more congested presentation and microphonic, not exchangeable, cable. ES3, witch i don't have it, are also considered fun and bassy, see here

Aside the newer ZS6, it seem that KZ want to release an hybrid dual or multi driver with the ZS3 case, if you are interested in an upgraded version of the ZS3.
The ES3 and ZS3 are only alike in that they both have elevated bass. The ES3 is nothing like the ZS3 in the rest of the signature. It's very resolving, it has decently nice sparkly highs, and in general has a better sound signature (IMO) The only spot where the ZS3 wins is the Shell, which is insanely comfy once you start putting it on right.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #22,016 of 63,917
The ES3 and ZS3 are only alike in that they both have elevated bass. The ES3 is nothing like the ZS3 in the rest of the signature. It's very resolving, it has decently nice sparkly highs, and in general has a better sound signature (IMO) The only spot where the ZS3 wins is the Shell, which is insanely comfy once you start putting it on right.

I hope KZ will re-use the ZS3 shell for other IEMS. It's very comfortable.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #22,017 of 63,917
Interesting.
So what's sibilance anyway? Or does the fact that I like the sound chalk/nails make when scratching a blackboard disqualify me from ever understanding sibilance? :S
Is that harsh ssssssh in voices, when especially woman vocalist sound like sssserpents :confounded:

It exist on nature and recording, so their presence may also depend on mixing and mastering of the song, but some headphones are tuned better than others on keep them under control, without sacrifice too much treble and details.
I'm very very sensitive to that kind of harshness, but if you like it a lot buy a pair of ZST colored :laughing:
I hope that ZS6 may be better tuned than ZS5 in higher frequency reproduction, in both sibilance and tonality, i'm not the kind of guy that like too brighter headphones.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #22,018 of 63,917
If I had a nickel for everytime some one on headfi said everbody hears differently, I could buy a few too many kz top of the lines.
And I was thinking why not just measure the hearing sensitivity. I'm sure audiologist can do it with the technology available today.
Basically neurons use electrical signals when there are activity going on and people have measured this.
As for the brain's abilitiy to process spatial information I suspect goes into genetics and algorithms, which by the way are all above my head.
But that is besides the point.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #22,019 of 63,917
Interesting.

Is that harsh ssssssh in voices, when especially woman vocalist sound like sssserpents :confounded:

It exist on nature and recording, so their presence may also depend on mixing and mastering of the song, but some headphones are tuned better than others on keep them under control, without sacrifice too much treble and details.
I'm very very sensitive to that kind of harshness, but if you like it a lot buy a pair of ZST colored :laughing:
I hope that ZS6 may be better tuned than ZS5 in higher frequency reproduction, in both sibilance and tonality, i'm not the kind of guy that like too brighter headphones.

Same here! I loathe bright earphones! After reading your post, I am not even sure if I want the ZS6 anymore. I almost ordered the ZS5, but the newer, tougher ZS6 showed up. But I want to know what the fuss is all about with the KZ "flagships". And I really liked the "dull sounding" (warm, soft bass & mellow treble) KZ ED7s, so I'm still hooked on KZ.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #22,020 of 63,917
If I had a nickel for everytime some one on headfi said everbody hears differently, I could buy a few too many kz top of the lines.
And I was thinking why not just measure the hearing sensitivity. I'm sure audiologist can do it with the technology available today.
Sure, there are products on the market that do that - a new one just came out a few months ago even.
They are generally poorly received - probably because as much current research suggests, there's way more to it than just sensitivity to pure tones.
Basically neurons use electrical signals when there are activity going on and people have measured this.
Last I checked we were still a quite a few years short of having all that mapped out - we've think we can do it for a roundworm! And we're taking early steps with rat brains...
As for the brain's abilitiy to process spatial information I suspect goes into genetics and algorithms, which by the way are all above my head.
Social conditioning plays a fascinating role in what we hear too - ref tritone paradox.
Spatial information though is a lot better understood than a lot of other things though (HRTFs)

Plenty of people have spent their entire lives studying the peculiarities of human hearing... though with VR tech pushing money in the general direction of that sort of research, I would imagine we'll see better functional approximations in the years to come.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back