Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #21,481 of 63,907
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #21,485 of 63,907
Capacitors are high pass filters like where bypass capacitors are used to send high frequency noise to ground.
Since DC power source is blocked by the bypass capacitor from the ground hence the filtering.

I think if the audio technica dac bypass technology gets general acceptance then I think active crossovers using software will make our interest more engaging.

As long as the signal remains zeros and ones, you can use software to walk on water.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #21,487 of 63,907
Here is a scenario using kz's bluetooth technology with and without audio technica's dac bypass.

The bluetooth prolly uses CSR chip/technology, which in theory mean we can have LTE inside KZ bluetooth, but I digress.
With CSR chip with its soc resources you can split the source signal into low, mid, and high channels using fir filters, software.
Then on one hand you can get three dacs of your choice to send to three amps of your choisce before sending the output to KZ drivers.
The dac bypass will save you three dacs and some consolidation of the amp resources.
Anyway if a company can put out LTE on a single chip, this can be done.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #21,488 of 63,907
not for long ha ha!

Quite frankly, it will remain so for sometime yet. Shall wait for stuff like the ZSR and ZS10 to come along and see if they are of the sound signature I'm looking for first.
Though the ZS5 is a very capable earphone, but no, the sound signature isn't what I'm looking for in 'good' earphone. I've tried it and affirmed it with my friend's copy of the ZS5. Regardless of price as I won't be listening to it much if I don't like the sound signature.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #21,489 of 63,907
I guess that lays the active crossover discussion to bed then - I definitely see a surface mount component there.

That same (or very similar) thing was there in the ZS5 (although it is turned sideways and stuffed down inside vertically, so you can't make out the chips except for 1 SMT resistor right in the middle).

When I asked about it, people said it was not a crossover, but rather were external solder pads for that DD driver. Now that I've seen the ZS6, with a very similar board, I am beginning to question whether that really was a crossover in the ZS5.

ZS5 possible crossover.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #21,490 of 63,907
Definitely for the UF and the CI880 !

Very capable earphones for they money they are asking for.

As for the ZS5, its probably a must have if you must have only 1 earphone to listen to everything ! Its good-for-everything earphone though not the best in particular applications IMO.

I think the ZSE is a nice complement to UF and CI880 as its really great for general pop ( except the damn noisy cables ! ) :)

You know, this is a very insightful post. It is funny, because the more I compare these three, the more I realize I need to keep them all. The ZS5 does so many things well, it really is an iem you can use to listen to pretty much anything with and be satisfied. I find myself reaching for it more than the others, especially if I will be listening to a wide variety of things. It is humorous that I have a set of ZSEs that have not even made it out of the package yet.... Maybe someday...

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #21,491 of 63,907
That same (or very similar) thing was there in the ZS5 (although it is turned sideways and stuffed down inside vertically, so you can't make out the chips except for 1 SMT resistor right in the middle).

When I asked about it, people said it was not a crossover, but rather were external solder pads for that DD driver. Now that I've seen the ZS6, with a very similar board, I am beginning to question whether that really was a crossover in the ZS5.

It would be disappointing to find out that this was their attempt at crossover (with ZS5) because it has apparent phasing issues, nothing major but enough. I think that they used some components to equalize impedance of BAs and DDs, but I've never seen measurements and could be very wrong.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #21,492 of 63,907
I'm in market for a pair of IEM now. Though I'm not sure if I should wait for the KZ ZS6 or buy the Kz zs5 now. The hype for Kz zs5 seems justified. But I'm also sold on the metal housing of the Kz zs6...

I've enjoyed the Kz Zs3 very much in the past. The fit and sound stage on them is amazing. I'm curious if the Kz zs5 would be considered a step-up (if so, how much?) or an alternative to the Kz Zs3.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #21,493 of 63,907
So, how many KZ IEM are in production?
ZS4, ZS10 and ZSR? When will they come out?
I'm looking to upgrade my Crazy Cello and don't know if I should wait or not, or if they're going to be better.

How about the new upgrade cable? Looks pretty good!

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #21,495 of 63,907
Quite frankly, it will remain so for sometime yet. Shall wait for stuff like the ZSR and ZS10 to come along and see if they are of the sound signature I'm looking for first.
Though the ZS5 is a very capable earphone, but no, the sound signature isn't what I'm looking for in 'good' earphone. I've tried it and affirmed it with my friend's copy of the ZS5. Regardless of price as I won't be listening to it much if I don't like the sound signature.
which is? for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back