Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 9, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #21,077 of 64,381
IMG_20170909_224222.jpg

Just got my 2nd KZ ZS5 on the mail, the gray ones, from GB. Guess they still have the single BA in the nozzle.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #21,080 of 64,381
I received the grey ones as well even though I ordered the blue. Are there any difference in sound between them?

The new ones seem to be a little bit harsher on the treble... but they are new, right out of the box.

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #21,084 of 64,381
How come? It looks clear to me that 1 out of 3 screw is fake. Elaborate please.

People were worried that none of the screws were functional. The concern was justified, worse abominations have happened in the world. We shouldn't care about that one screw being used to complete the design (*cough* Campfire Andromeda *cough*).
I actually don't understand KZ, they had to design ZS5 and ZS6 from scratch anyways, no idea why they wanted to copy CA, they are not really trying to fool anyone by selling fake Campfire IEMs.

Sep 9, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #21,085 of 64,381
Why posting such definitive conclusions that are obviously biassed to your likings? People will assume that it's mandatory to buy foams in order for these to sound good, which is at best a gamble if not missinformation. There were numerous postings by experienced hifiers who stated that included starlines sounded best for them. Not to mention the other users of spinfits and so on.
Speaking from my experience, I have a small ear canal and even the smallest foam size 11mm wont fit in (compressed). If they would have made it 9 or 10mm I think those would have close the deal for me. As such, foams are crap for me as instead of the iem adhering to my concha it just sticks out awkwardly and sound goes down the drain.
What I'm asking is a little moderation and phrasing for those who are reading to get the right picture, I didn't want by any means to bash you, I like your posts but all this foams being mandatory talk is getting out of hand a bit.
PS: waiting for my ZS5 delivery now, currently a happy ZS3 user in search for better.
Cheers.

Hear hear. I find for me that the stock starlines work pretty well. I did not like comply type foams as well. But on my setup, I prefer the Symbios W. So, my conclusion is that we are listening for different things. For me, the ZS5 can get a touch zippy on the high end, but not really sibilant. Of course, I am 63 years old with a bit of tinitus, si if you can hear very high frequencies, you might find them sibilant...

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #21,086 of 64,381
Hear hear. I find for me that the stock starlines work pretty well. I did not like comply type foams as well. But on my setup, I prefer the Symbios W. So, my conclusion is that we are listening for different things. For me, the ZS5 can get a touch zippy on the high end, but not really sibilant. Of course, I am 63 years old with a bit of tinitus, si if you can hear very high frequencies, you might find them sibilant...

That's interesting.. I have tinnitus and I don't really mind hot Treble.. I think maybe I like the tinnitus to be over powered.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #21,090 of 64,381
ES3 showed up...

First impressions: Bass! It doesn't strike me as particularly bloated or bleeding too badly... there's just a mountain of it. Oddly though despite a mountain of bass, they don't strike me as particularly warm overall otherwise. Mids seem a bit cleaner than the ZS5(v1). Highs don't seem particularly recessed but they don't strike me as having quite the same sparkle as the ZS5(v1).

Mind you my experience with basshead type IEMs is nearly non-existent so... take with a grain of salt? or some such.

A few other stray thoughts:

The nozzle appears to be packed as per Viber's ZS5 mod - wonder if that contributes to the cleaner mids?

Fit is weird for me... had to mess with tip depth for quite a while to get a fit I really liked...

They seem quite a bit less source picky than the ZS5(v1) — acceptable results across everything I've tried them on so far.

Something's wrong with the vent on one side of mine - the DD vents appear to be covered by some sort of semi-permeable seal, but on one side it's covered in too much glue, or something. This causes that side to produce quite a bit of additional bass as well as prominent driver flex. Taping the other side levels things off (even more mountains of bass...), but I'm thinking I should perhaps punch a small hole in the clogged one instead, or some such. Gotta love that KZ glue fetish.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back