Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #14,388 of 63,914
So I got to have the colorful ZSTs for a bit more than a week now.

I absolutely love the soundstage they produce. It sounds like I'm wearing a pair of open can headphones (like the DT 990 Pro), but at the same time they let in a lot of outside noise. Like, I can hear when I snap my fingers (I couldn't hear that with the SE215 or ZS3), I even tried foam tips and it doesnt help either. I guess this is how it is? Or should they isolate more?

Secondly, I love bassy music, and I feel without an EQ the ZST have barely any punch. But they do react well to my EQ, which gives them lots of punch. Again, is this normal? Might just be my phone (Note 4) which doesn't have a good amp.

Just my thoughts so far..

Edit: I have to say, I was wrong with them not being bassy without an EQ. Really, really depends on the song.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #14,389 of 63,914
is it really night and day difference in sound quality between the original vs the silver cables for the ZST? 

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #14,391 of 63,914
is it really night and day difference in sound quality between the original vs the silver cables for the ZST? 

Wrong question. What you should have ask is "is there's any differences in sounds at all when using different cable materials?" :wink:

Also if you really want to change the sound, get a different eartips instead, the fitment and bore size can directly affect the accoustic chamber between the driver and your ear. And lastly equalizer is a tool made by gods for us mortal that has been shunned by the devil worshipper, use it well.

KZ zst with mic is inferior to ones without mic with respect to sound quality?

If it's using the same driver, same housing shape and same eartips, i don't think that it would have any differences. But i would rather get the non mic version for anything though. Because mic is just another part that can/will break and ruin your earphones(looking at you Rock Zircon :frowning2: )

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #14,393 of 63,914
Wrong question. What you should have ask is "is there's any differences in sounds at all when using different cable materials?" :wink:

i'm sorry, let me ask again, is different cable materials significantly change the sound? :grin:
because most of the review on this thread said the zst is great, but only with the cable upgraded

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #14,396 of 63,914
i'm sorry, let me ask again, is different cable materials significantly change the sound? :grin:
because most of the review on this thread said the zst is great, but only with the cable upgraded

Most people who have tried said that the cable significantly improves the sound quality on the ZST. The ZS3 silver cable, despite being similar looking and seemingly made from the same materials does not bring any major improvements in terms of sound quality.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #14,398 of 63,914
Cables don't change the sound, especially when they're unshielded like the ones on the ZST. It's simply a placebo effect that's been well studied and peer reviewed. The only reason you need better cables (other than for durability) is if you live near radio towers, or have an extremely long run of cable in which the cable could potentially become an antenna. The silver ZST cable makes no change in the sound quality.

In my opinion it does...ymmv

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #14,399 of 63,914
In my opinion it does...ymmv

on my guitar setup, different cables with different impedance indeed changes the sound, being the high frequency/treble which is mostly affected.. although i can only tell the difference by a/b testing it in a really quiet environment...meaning the difference is there, but it's a small difference.

on my studio monitor, or keyboard, which is a a balanced equipment, i could not see any difference between different cables besides durability.

i am intrigued about earphone cables, especially because like some cases it is a major change in sound (zst) but minor in other cases (like the zs3). could anyone please inform me in a more technical way?

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #14,400 of 63,914
on my guitar setup, different cables with different impedance indeed changes the sound, being the high frequency/treble which is mostly affected.. although i can only tell the difference by a/b testing it in a really quiet environment...meaning the difference is there, but it's a small difference.

on my studio monitor, or keyboard, which is a a balanced equipment, i could not see any difference between different cables besides durability.

i am intrigued about earphone cables, especially because like some cases it is a major change in sound (zst) but minor in other cases (like the zs3). could anyone please inform me in a more technical way?

I am a musician also but I'm not very versed in cable impedance and such matters, I just know what my ears hear. Maybe it was not just the upgrade wire but there is a definite sound quality difference from when I was using the original wires, not extreme but discernable. Cleaner, more detailed, more air, Veil has lifted..As I said this is what my ears hear...ymmv...I can't say that this will happen with everyone, and noone else can say that it won't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back