Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 29, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #13,876 of 63,907

This is a poor assumption. Reading through the last 100 pages or so, the only people claiming the ZST's are bad are the ones who got early versions of them. I have TWO ZST's now from two different sources that sound identical.

The ZST's are excellent and can be had for $13.

I share your opinion and I ordered a pair of ZST because of it, but I have to admit I have some doubts whether or not they will please me because there are mixed impressions, some of which are from people with a lot of experience or large collections of audio gear. I'm cautiously optimistic that those negative opinions may be a result of poor quality control, but I'm not certain. The other earphones I mentioned are easier to recommend because there are less negative impressions of them and I don't want to recommend either something that has mixed impressions that I haven't tried out yet for myself. I think that's a fairly reasonable thing to do.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #13,878 of 63,907
So I just got my ZS3 I ordered from amazon (because they had prime and I wanted them quick).
Anyways, they came sealed, but for some reason half of the packaging was missing, and the headphones were just laying in the box already assembled (earpieces connected to the cable already).

This makes me believe they were already tried out, sent back to amazon, resealed and just sent to me.

For their sound, I don't really enjoy them OOTB. I've tried them both on my Note 4 and a CLARO halo XT on my pc, and in comparison to my DT 990 Pro they sound incredibly tinny with barely any bass - really bright I would say. Did I get a bad model or do I just have to get used to them?

I've seen the ZS3 reviewed so good, so I'm just a bit confused :S

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #13,879 of 63,907
  So I just got my ZS3 I ordered from amazon (because they had prime and I wanted them quick).
Anyways, they came sealed, but for some reason half of the packaging was missing, and the headphones were just laying in the box already assembled (earpieces connected to the cable already).

This makes me believe they were already tried out, sent back to amazon, resealed and just sent to me.

For their sound, I don't really enjoy them OOTB. I've tried them both on my Note 4 and a CLARO halo XT on my pc, and in comparison to my DT 990 Pro they sound incredibly tinny with barely any bass - really bright I would say. Did I get a bad model or do I just have to get used to them?

Actually my ZS3's highs also felt tiny when I first got them but after a few hours of listening that characteristic seems to have faded. Highs seem much smoother mine and the bass gives tracks a nice oomph and warmth that my KZ ATE sometimes lacked for certain tracks.

Do me a favor and try listening to this music track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIqjeHN_ds

If that doesn't sound incredible on your ears either try burning them for a few hours, perhaps leave them playing something over night, or ask for a refund because your unit might be defective.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #13,880 of 63,907

Actually my ZS3's highs also felt tiny when I first got them but after a few hours of listening that characteristic seems to have faded. Highs seem much smoother mine and the bass gives tracks a nice oomph and warmth that my KZ ATE sometimes lacked for certain tracks.

Do me a favor and try listening to this music track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIqjeHN_ds

If that doesn't sound incredible on your ears either try burning them for a few hours, perhaps leave them playing something over night, or ask for a refund because your unit might be defective.

Just tried listening to them with the song you mentioned... After listening to it on the DT 990 Pro first, and then on the ZS3 - there was absolutely no lows at all. As if I took my dt's and just put a highpass on them.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #13,881 of 63,907

Do me a favor and try listening to this music track: ...

I just listened to them again with the track you mentioned... After listening to it first on my dt 990 pro, the ZS3 in comparison just sounded like I put a highpass on them - there was absolutely no lows or bass present. They highs even sound a tad bit painful.

I'll let them burn in over night, maybe there will be a difference.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #13,882 of 63,907

It sounds like you certainly did get a returned product which isn't cool. I personally would ask for a refund or replacement.

Second, it also sounds like you're not getting a good seal. Maybe try out the largest tips first and work down from there. They should be far from tinny sounding with little bass. As soon as you get a proper seal you'll know. The ZS3 can thump.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #13,883 of 63,907

Well, this track definitely sounds good with my ZST :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #13,884 of 63,907
  I just listened to them again with the track you mentioned... After listening to it first on my dt 990 pro, the ZS3 in comparison just sounded like I put a highpass on them - there was absolutely no lows or bass present. They highs even sound a tad bit painful.

That's definitely not normal. Burn them in for a few hours, I used an Android app for that another used linked on this thread:

Sorry the website I read had a hyperlink name that didn't match the actual link. Here it is! http://img.1more.com/2013/10/10/10/2013093013530025.apk

Try running it for a few hours, I don't know how long it actually ran on mine because when I woke up my phone was on standby but I think it's what helped it. But I'm slightly concerned about your high pass comment because that's not the way they sounded to me at all when I got them, they just sounded bassy and some of the low-highs/high-mids had a tiny sound to them.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #13,885 of 63,907
I received my kz starline tips today. I tried them with my ATR, but I'm not sure if they sounded different from my creative aurvana zen tips (iirc) that I'm already using.
I then tried them on my kz hdse (bluetooth) and i think that helped a bit to get some more treble from them.
I compared the hdse with my newly arrived qcy qy19, and the qcy sounded more balanced compared to the hdse

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #13,886 of 63,907

Sounds like another QC issue. Amazon will not hesitate to send you another pair. I would go for it. It sounds like you got a bad pair.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #13,888 of 63,907
  I got the ZST's about an hour and a half ago.

WOW!

These sound phenomenal! They are in a completely different universe than the ATE's. Rich crisp clear highs that extend very far up in frequency. Deep clear crisp lows that aren't muddy at all, though the lows may be a bit too much for some people, I personally love the lows on all types of music I've listened to so far. The shape of the sound is more flat & doesn't comrpomise lyrics. I am hearing many things in the music that I have never heard before (Pink Floyd - Echoes has a low tap in the left channel). Everything shines even when there is a lot going on. These are tuned very well and have an enormous soundstage with excellent stereo separation. They sound excellent on every type of music I've listened to from Classic Rock to EDM. I can't believe these are $12 IEM's.

The soundstage is enormous. I can hear the music all the way from my eyes to the very back of my neck. It's like being in a room with Jimi Hendrix while recording. Outstanding. I'm sitting here smiling.

If you plugged these into a proper amp with a proper vinyl setup, I wouldn't doubt you'd cry at the clarity and detali.

In Order:
ZST
Philips SHE3590
ATE
ED12

Over to the ED12's soon!

Coming back on this, most of what I typed earlier was accurate. I've had these for I think about 2 weeks now and have used them as my daily driver.

- The bass and mid bass are very forward, but at the same time it sounds very accurate. It takes it's position well with the rest of the song when it needs to. Walking bass sounds amazing in Blues songs. Mids are amazing in clarity.
- Poorly recorded songs on these sound like...poorly recorded songs. I find one of my favorite bands - Incubus - is very lacking with these IEM's. These REALLY shine when you throw high quality material at them that was recorded properly. Just because you have 24/96 PBTHAL FLAC doesn't mean you're going to get a mind-blowing sound.
- Fine details are very crisp, I've picked out new things with these that I haven't in the past. Snares vibrating while a guitar does a solo, pedals being pushed, etc.
- Highs are crisp and accurate likely extending beyond my hearing range (I'm only 26 and my hearing should be pretty spot on).
- Soundstage on properly recorded songs is enormous extending instruments all the way out and around my head. Stero separation is also enormous.
- Comfort is ok. I haven't had any problems so far and they don't hurt my ears even when listening at night for hours. I have an easy time sleeping with them.

For $13, you won't beat it with even a $100-$200 pair if you find the proper wire/tip to make these comfortable.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #13,889 of 63,907
Nov 29, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #13,890 of 63,907
Anybody is able to recommend me an upgrade from the ATR? I really love the sound signature of this

Meze's 12 Classics are actually a pretty similar sounding earphone. You sacrifice some soundstage but in return get improved imaging and dynamics. They also look gawd damn delicious. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back