Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 18, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #10,264 of 64,385
I ordered from Aliexpress, maybe in a month or so.
I'll definitely post my impression and a well written comparison.

I own ATH-M40X and ATH-M50 headphones and Behringer Truth B3030A studio monitor with ribbon tweeters.
Not the most expensive gear but definitely delivers the goods.

Hope KZ (any of them) will not disappoint as a portable in-ear equivalent of my reference gear.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #10,265 of 64,385
  I ordered from Aliexpress, maybe in a month or so.
I'll definitely post my impression and a well written comparison.

I own ATH-M40X and ATH-M50 headphones and Behringer Truth B3030A studio monitor with ribbon tweeters.
Not the most expensive gear but definitely delivers the goods.

Hope KZ (any of them) will not disappoint as a portable in-ear equivalent of my reference gear.

Would be much appreciated. Hopefully they will be to your liking. Still discovering my Rock Zircon's. I can see why some like them and some don't. On my device (rockboxed iRiver) they sound great with electronic music.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #10,266 of 64,385
I have the following KZ's ~ 
ED9 - detailed, 2 sets of nozzles for sound signature options, well built, some love them...some don't. I do.
HDS1 - small & comfy, cable stinks, neutral balanced sound, can sound flat but overall very nice iem for small $.
ATE - dark with rolled off treble, nicely textured sound sig, designed for wire up, I like them and kept them.
EDSE - dynamic sound from top to bottom, sound great from portable players (Clip & Fuse), great build quality.
ED3c Acme - smooth, dynamic, detailed, impressive, one of my favorites, I think they are excellent for the $ 
EDR2 - good highs & lows, well built, feel lighter than EDSE, good all arounder but I prefer ED3c JMHO.
ZS1 - couldn't get the right fit\tip so never really got to hear them, wire up, keeping them in hope I can find a tip that works...

I have owned but either sold or gave away ~
S3 - wanted to love them but didn't, little ragged in the highs at times...could have been a tip issue. 
ED10 - loved them at first but each listen brought issue's, bassy, too bright, harsh highs, some people love these though so YMMV
ATE-S - again wire up fit issue's, bassy, didn't have the time to try and get them where they needed to be...sold
ED3 Perfection - built like a tank, pretty nice sounding but overshadowed by more current KZ  options. 

system = Beresford amp & DAC, spinning real CD's...old skool  
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #10,267 of 64,385
Haha. Well, if they are unique and mind blowing for the price, post in the Chinese/Asian thread. I have at least 9 KZs. None horrible, but if I could have evaluated all of them first, I think I would have only purchased the EDR2 and the HDS3. The rest are superfluous, if not bad and many quite good, yet for the price spent on the others, I could have got something in the mind blowing range.

Sounds good!

Can you describe their sound signature when comparing them to KZ-S3 and ED9?

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #10,268 of 64,385
  I have the following KZ's ~ 
ED9 - detailed, 2 sets of nozzles for optional sound signatures, well built, some love them...some don't. I do.
HDS1 - small & comfy, cable stinks, neutral balanced sound, can sound flat but overall very nice iem for small $.
ATE - dark with rolled off treble, nicely textured sound sig, designed for wire up, I like them and kept them.
EDSE - dynamic sound from top to bottom, sound great from portable players (Clip & Fuse), great build quality.
ED3c Acme - smooth, dynamic, detailed, impressive, one of my favorites, I think they are excellent for the $ 
EDR2 - good highs & lows, well built, feel lighter than EDSE, good all arounder but I prefer ED3c JMHO.
ZS1 - couldn't get the right fit\tip so never really got to hear them, wire up, keeping them in hope I can find a tip that works...

I have owned but either sold or gave away ~
S3 - wanted to love them but didn't, little ragged in the highs at times...could have been a tip issue. 
ED10 - loved them at first but each listen brought issue's, bassy, too bright, harsh highs, some people love these though so YMMV
ATE-S - again wire up fit issue's, bassy, didn't have the time to try and get them where they needed to be...sold
ED3 Perfection - built like a tank, pretty nice sounding but overshadowed by more current KZ  options. 

system = Beresford amp & DAC, spinning real CD's...old skool  
tongue.gif

which one do you recommend to get with the rock zircon? 

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #10,269 of 64,385

which one do you recommend to get with the rock zircon? 

I'd get Auvio tips for the Zirc's and maybe the ED3c...if you like detail and don't mind a little prep work the ED9 brass can be interesting. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #10,270 of 64,385
carltonh
I agree about EDR2, been testing them for a week and my impressions are very positive,got them for ridiculous 5.5usd from gearbest and they punch way above their weight!

There's a reason I've been saying the EDR2 are the best of the bunch for months now. Sound quality is great, and when you put price back into the equation the value you get is insane.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #10,271 of 64,385
There's a reason I've been saying the EDR2 are the best of the bunch for months now. Sound quality is great, and when you put price back into the equation the value you get is insane.

Stop it B9, that boat from China with mines still not arrived
frown.gif

LOL, guess I need to post early morning frowny faces more often
normal_smile .gif
Seems no sooner than I initially posted this message did my front desk tell me I had mail and low and behold.....

Remember me talking about the Cracker Jack effect when ordering my KZ through AliEx? Well this is the skimpiest KZ packaging I've ever gotten to date, no box even and only the alternate tips
redface.gif
But for $5 flat and all the positive hype on these I'm already feeling like I've gotten a killer deal without even putting them in/on
wink_face.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #10,273 of 64,385
Stop it B9, that boat from China with mines still not arrived:frowning2:

The wait is killing me more after I saw mines shipped today from gb.......btw, if someone looking fior the red core/smokey silicon tips as spares/collection just buy them,thats a good price.

http://m.aliexpress.com/store/customModule.htm?sellerAdminSeq=224701538&moduleIndex=3

while I type this Im all ears with ed9/finger eleven-paralyzed. Hope the edr2 de-throne my ed9? Let me see.jk :wink:

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #10,274 of 64,385
I need to go listen to my EDR2 again...I don't remember being blown away by them.  
confused.gif

B9 what are you using as source and what type of music genre?

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #10,275 of 64,385

Haha. Well, if they are unique and mind blowing for the price, post in the Chinese/Asian thread. I have at least 9 KZs. None horrible, but if I could have evaluated all of them first, I think I would have only purchased the EDR2 and the HDS3. The rest are superfluous, if not bad and many quite good, yet for the price spent on the others, I could have got something in the mind blowing range.

Sounds good!

Can you describe their sound signature when comparing them to KZ-S3 and ED9?

I don't have the ED9, but just doing a quick A/B with the S3. The S3 is brighter, more prominent treble, and the EDR2 has more subbass. I like the midrange on the EDR2 a little better, maybe a little cleaner. But these are all pretty small variances as they are quite similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back