Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #8,011 of 63,916
:confused: The Specs are identical. JFYI

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

Thanks Twin, why am I not surprised, bummer although the pictures sure are pretty! Any idea what changes they've made? Should be interesting to hear it, I like the form factor. Kz keeps improving their drivers especially their micro drivers.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #8,012 of 63,916
Baycode helped arrange a review copy of the B3 for me. I 've been testing the tips on different iems while they burn, and the bi-flange are fantastic with the ZS1. They're the only multi- flange tip I've tried that work with my wonky left ear canal. I also would like to know where to get more! Hopefully they seal as well with the B3, lol.

The bi-flange are the recommemded tips for the B3 and they work perfectly on them. All things considered I think you'll enjoy the Havi's. They're still on the top of my list. Definately worth having in your arsenal.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #8,014 of 63,916
Just received my KZ ZN1 and wow do they sound awesome. I don't mind the amp placement but the weight is definitly a little bit annoying. At the current price i wouldn't really recommend them, since the HDS1 are so cheap nowadays. But if you do want an upgrade then they might be worth it. At what settings do you use on your amplifier? I am currently using 7-8 volume 8 treble and 2 bass.

I'm using 8 on the treble and 7 on the bass. Pretty much for most things. I'm glad your enjoying them. The amp/eq fortunately is very light but with out clips applles a little to much pressure on the wires/ears. I have clips above and below the unit ( Magnatic clasps) that make it easy to adjust for slack and keeps the eq from swinging like a pendulum. I don't know they're definately not not in the same cost/sound category but I still think it reasonable great sound for the price paid, especially considering how often I actually do use them.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #8,015 of 63,916
I'm using 8 on the treble and 7 on the bass. Pretty much for most things. I'm glad your enjoying them. The amp/eq fortunately is very light but with out clips applles a little to much pressure on the wires/ears. I have clips above and below the unit ( Magnatic clasps) that make it easy to adjust for slack and keeps the eq from swinging like a pendulum. I don't know they're definately not not in the same cost/sound category but I still think it reasonable great sound for the price paid, especially considering how often I actually do use them.

I might sell them if i can get a reasonable price for them, so i can fund my triple balance armature earphone. By no means are they bad going by the price/quality ratio but the chinese earphone manufacturers are stepping up their game big time lately.

7 on bass? Are you a basshead?

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #8,016 of 63,916
Listening to the ED9 vs HDS1...HDS1 has more low end grunt than the ED9 w\brass nozzles. ED9 has more pronounced highs and more detail. Both are very good but I'd have to give it to the ED9 due to build quality and detail extraction while still having some clean tight low end. HDS1 is excellent but doesn't feel as well built. In your hand it seems light and plastic like although I've read it isn't plastic. Comfort though goes to the HDS1 due to them being light, small and very comfortable in the ear. ED9 is heavy in the hand and there's no question it's made of metal but once inserted is very comfortable to me. I also like the cable on the ED9 a bit more although I really don't like most, if not all the KZ cables...they can be sticky, springy and microphonics are an issue especially on the HDS1. Still out of all my KZ's ED9, ED10, EDSE, ATE, ZS1 and HDS1 my favorite is the ED9. Great price, impressive build and superior sound quality. JMHO.

ATE-S, ED3 Perfection & Acme on the way.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #8,017 of 63,916
I might sell them if i can get a reasonable price for them, so i can fund my triple balance armature earphone. By no means are they bad going by the price/quality ratio but the chinese earphone manufacturers are stepping up their game big time lately.

7 on bass? Are you a basshead?

Mo not much of a basshead, the female vocals artists I listen to are not heavy on bass so 7 or flat works fine if I move to another genre' although the 40's and 50's male work pretty good there to. Move up to 80's or 90's rock then all bets are off but press a buttonmhere a there and alls good. It may be hard selling the Zn1 given the response of the amp/eq placement. You tend to hear more negative comments about that then the actual sound quality.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #8,018 of 63,916
The Havi bi-flange tips are brilliant on the ZS1! Tame the bass allowing the mids and treble to show their faces. These iems continue to impress.

My ZS1 still sounds a bit strange to me...I did switch to the JVC Spiral Dot tips and it did make an improvement but I think there's more to be had from them. Have you tried the JVC tips? What size bi-flange do you use and do they run big or small? I use small or medium but usually small. The Spiral Dots run slightly small. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #8,019 of 63,916
My ZS1 still sounds a bit strange to me...I did switch to the JVC Spiral Dot tips and it did make an improvement but I think there's more to be had from them. Have you tried the JVC tips? What size bi-flange do you use and do they run big or small? I use small or medium but usually small. The Spiral Dots run slightly small. 

I haven't tried the spiral dots, bought comply and spinfits for the Zs and some non name brand tips but the spunfits worked well so I stopped there. The only thing I'm running bi-flange on are the Havi's. They ( the B3p1 ) were supplied with small and large biflange and the large run more like an in between medium and large size than large so maybe the smalls for you.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #8,020 of 63,916

Cad why don't you PM me your adress I'll shoot you a set of small Havi Bi-flange ( unused of course ) in the mail. You might as well give them a try.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #8,022 of 63,916

I get why they would sound strange. Their bass driver plays it's own ballgame which is what I like so much about them. They really remind me of a home stereo with full-sized subwoofer.

I have tried a ton of tips; JVCs, UE, KZ whirlwind, Skullcandy, Don Scorpio, and a slew of others from random iems. For the most part I use medium tips, but for shallow fit iems I usually use large (ZS1 is medium all the way, except for the Havi tips). My favorites are tied between the Havi bi-flange (large ones) and some random pair of mushroom shaped medium silicones. The Havi's reduce midbass and bring up the mids and treble (still heavily bass-biased, but not to the same extent), and the shroomies...well they allow that bass to come out in full force
basshead.gif

I feel about the same for the ZS1 as Twinstacks does for his Zircons; lots of fun, not for audiophiles.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #8,024 of 63,916
Easy Earphone on Aliexpress sells these.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32517832056.html

Thanks Stephan, they look pretty close, definately worth a try.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #8,025 of 63,916
  Listening to the ED9 vs HDS1...HDS1 has more low end grunt than the ED9 w\brass nozzles. ED9 has more pronounced highs and more detail. Both are very good but I'd have to give it to the ED9 due to build quality and detail extraction while still having some clean tight low end. HDS1 is excellent but doesn't feel as well built. In your hand it seems light and plastic like although I've read it isn't plastic. Comfort though goes to the HDS1 due to them being light, small and very comfortable in the ear. ED9 is heavy in the hand and there's no question it's made of metal but once inserted is very comfortable to me. I also like the cable on the ED9 a bit more although I really don't like most, if not all the KZ cables...they can be sticky, springy and microphonics are an issue especially on the HDS1. Still out of all my KZ's ED9, ED10, EDSE, ATE, ZS1 and HDS1 my favorite is the ED9. Great price, impressive build and superior sound quality. JMHO.

ATE-S, ED3 Perfection & Acme on the way.

I just can't get behind the ED9. I really liked them when I first got them, but over time they just started to sound splashy and sloppy in the treble (EDse too). Come to think of it, that's the same reason why I stopped using the ED10 as much as I was. That and the hyper quick and punchy ootb bass died down after a couple months. That was my favorite aspect. I still think the ED10 is awesome, but the HDS1/ANV are tops of the KZ pile for me atm when it comes purely down to sound quality.

The Acme is also pretty great, but they're surprisingly bassy. The original ED3 is pretty neutral for a KZ with emphasis on the treble. Really need to find the right tips for them to sound their best. If the ATE-S is like the original, they'll be a smooth, if not somewhat dull listen. I really like the ATE, but they needed some subbass. Hopefully the ATE-S fixes that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back