Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 23, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,491 of 64,402
I popped the R3 in this morning just because, and what do you know? The insane distortion has been replaced with only the worst driver flex I've ever experienced, lol. An improvement none-the-less.

On the plus side, this means that I have been able to use them for the last few hours, and boy am I glad. They sound awesome.

The bass is absolutely sublime. Smooth as silk, with tons of low end rumble. Mids are quite forward and a little metallic, but still quite nice. Treble can be quite peaky and a bit harsh. Should this pair remain in my possession, I'll see what can be done to fix that.

These are a bit too slow and pondering for rock and metal, but are ace for EDM and hip hop. Another juicy KZ gem to me.

I recabled the ANV, but I think I damaged them in the process. My soldering skills are pretty poor, so I just bought another pair :3 Along with those I ordered the CM9. I am developing a soft spot for those big 14mm drivers. Next up with be the Dunu Titan 1!

Me approved of them ...the CM9 ....quite a few old timer dont like them .....they are to me ...brilliant for the price ...usual theme for KZ ....but they are bright for some ....not me though ....clarity is there ....the bass is not bloated ..pretty tame for basshead but just nice and controlled imo .....and if you still dont like them ....me accidentally took out one of the tip filter .....so now my CM9 nozzle has no filter ...they sound even better to me ....haha ..cheers .hope you like them when they come... :rolleyes:

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #2,492 of 64,402
I popped the R3 in this morning just because, and what do you know? The insane distortion has been replaced with only the worst driver flex I've ever experienced, lol. An improvement none-the-less.

On the plus side, this means that I have been able to use them for the last few hours, and boy am I glad. They sound awesome.

The bass is absolutely sublime. Smooth as silk, with tons of low end rumble. Mids are quite forward and a little metallic, but still quite nice. Treble can be quite peaky and a bit harsh. Should this pair remain in my possession, I'll see what can be done to fix that.

These are a bit too slow and pondering for rock and metal, but are ace for EDM and hip hop. Another juicy KZ gem to me.

I recabled the ANV, but I think I damaged them in the process. My soldering skills are pretty poor, so I just bought another pair :3 Along with those I ordered the CM9. I am developing a soft spot for those big 14mm drivers. Next up with be the Dunu Titan 1!

So you like the R3?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,494 of 64,402
Me approved of them ...the CM9 ....quite a few old timer dont like them .....they are to me ...brilliant for the price ...usual theme for KZ ....but they are bright for some ....not me though ....clarity is there ....the bass is not bloated ..pretty tame for basshead but just nice and controlled imo .....and if you still dont like them ....me accidentally took out one of the tip filter .....so now my CM9 nozzle has no filter ...they sound even better to me ....haha ..cheers .hope you like them when they come... :rolleyes:

Awesome! thanks for the good description. sounds similar to the ANV, so I should definitely like them :)

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #2,498 of 64,402

Yes I don't mind the sibilance present in the GR07/ That is the price to pay for the extra "sparkle" on the high end 
normal_smile%20.gif

See my signature. I have the EDSE and highly (and really like it). I'm still have high hopes for the KZ R1 - arriving tomorrow.

Oh... $4.06 KZ-R1, it won't disappoint you for sure!   I like all KZ IEMs but I like ED8 the most 
L3000.gif
 coz I always listen to dance music at this period.

KZ-R1 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/kz-r1-Noise-noise-reduction-ear-headphones-music-headset-phone-headset-HIFI-headphone/1987332228.html

I have someone to give it to that's allergic to metal and I will test it first. The R1 has no metal on the outside. And it has the @Hisoundfi seal of approval!

I just ordered 3 more pairs of the KZ R1 for around $4 each. Another for me and the other two for family/gf. Sound isolation with stock tips not so good, but very comfortable to wear - don't go deep into ear canals. Also lightweight. The most similar IEM is the Philips SHE3590BK and the R1 is even smaller and IMO better SQ. And I have Philips SHE3590BK.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2,501 of 64,402
With more use the driver flex on the R3 has greatly diminished. Its still there in abundance, but you can at least move without crinkle city central rearing its ugly head.

For those the have UE foam tips and the R3, try them out. They smooth out the highs spectacularly, and then....wow. These are some beautiful sounding little chums.

*Edit: These are awesome for 90s rap/hip hop/breaks. They perfectly encapsulate the confidence, swagger, and general attitude that many artists of the era were going for. Nice strong mid presence backed by that thundering bass....*drool*. The R3 are wayyyyyy better than the EDse, for my personal tastes at least.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,502 of 64,402
With more use the driver flex on the R3 has greatly diminished. Its still there in abundance, but you can at least move without crinkle city central rearing its ugly head.

For those the have UE foam tips and the R3, try them out. They smooth out the highs spectacularly, and then....wow. These are some beautiful sounding little chums.

*Edit: These are awesome for 90s rap/hip hop/breaks. They perfectly encapsulate the confidence, swagger, and general attitude that many artists of the era were going for. Nice strong mid presence backed by that thundering bass....*drool*. The R3 are wayyyyyy better than the EDse, for my personal tastes at least.

And how about that lovely cable? It's one of my most used IEMs just because I like the sound, fit and the cable is super nice. I find the R3 to be largely underrated.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,504 of 64,402
"kz earphone official flagship store" scammed me. EDSE broke into two pieces as soon as i put it in my ear, I opened a dispute, agreed with them to close the dispute because they will send me another headphones. I closed the dispute because there was 10 hours left and i didnt want to get money back and them sending headphones. 
As soon as i closed it they started acting like they dont know me. 
All this after i waited over a month for the package.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,505 of 64,402
And how about that lovely cable? It's one of my most used IEMs just because I like the sound, fit and the cable is super nice. I find the R3 to be largely underrated.

I agree with you on all fronts there. Outside of the issues I've had with the left driver (guessing they were damaged in shipping or before?) they are easily one of my favorite iems.

I originally paid 14 CAD. Had opened a dispute given they were useless when they first came in due to the distortion. Instead of asking for a refund, I asked to buy another pair at a slightly reduced cost since the cable and carrying case were fine. They just refunded me 100% instead... not expected, lol.

The wicked driver flex is annoying as heck, but manageable for relaxed listening. Forget using them outside of the house/work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back