Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 6, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #11,956 of 64,386

Just receive this moments ago.. still testing atm.. spent some time orientating this thing. 

Those looks nice (kinda having Vsonic VSD series vibe to it).

Do share your impression on the sound and if you happen to own ZS3 a comparison would be fantastic.

TIA!

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #11,957 of 64,386
Here is a side-by-side comparison between ED12 and ZS3. ED12 spots the glossy look as the ZS3 glossy version.

Ok after checking with the seller, the explanation is that
Mic version - Red on Right
non Mic version (what i'm using) - Red on Left.
So that was the reason i was spending so much time trying to figure out whether i plug in the pin wrongly.

Here is my impressions after running through a few songs.

Quick face off
new ED12 vs reigning Champion ZS3.

Summary/Overall impressions
Similar to ZS3, the earphone reacts very well with High resolution audio such as FLAC and other lossless format. Sound is average at lossy source.

Physically, the ED12 uses the same rubbery cable as the ATE which to me is fine. Similar to the ATE, ED12 also does not come with memory wire, thus the seller also sent a pair of Ear Hook with the ED12. Initially i was not comfortable with the default silicon tips that came by default, thus i swap it by using the ATE ones and well how good it fitted.

Updated 7 Sept

After a couple of hours of running in, the treble now sounds less forward although it is still a key contrast between ZS3 and ED12. :D. Other users can confirm on my observation :D

Tested Track - Silent Shout (FLAC)/Hey Eugene (FLAC)

Treble
The ED12 is more forward with the vocals and also brighter. Suspect fatigue will set in faster as compared to ZS3.
ZS3 sounds smoother comparatively.
The ED12 says 'do you understand what i am saying!', while the ZS3 says 'i'm telling you this is what i mean.'

Mid Range
No significant difference i can pick out here.

Bass
The ED12 is more controlled as compared to ZS3, which to a small group of users the ZS3 bass can be overwhelming at times. The ZS3 says 'set me free', while the ED12 is set loose but with a lease on.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #11,958 of 64,386
A Teaser question:

what happens when you try to plug ZS3 cable into ED12 earbud and Vice Versa ? 
biggrin.gif

Alright.. Firstly the ZS3 cable can indeeed fit into the ED12 but not vice  versa because of the ear bud design the ED12 cable cannot reach into the 2 pins of the ZS3.

Using the ZS3 cable into the ED12, my first response was that. holy shxxt this cable is what makes ZS3 tick because the enhanced but controlled bass is immediately manifested out from the ED12. While doing this i also noticed it's tought to plug out the cable from the ED12 than from the ZS3, so i would advise against plugging in and out of ED12 for risk of breaking the pin.

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #11,959 of 64,386
Here is a side-by-side comparison between ED12 and ZS3. ED12 spots the glossy look as the ZS3 glossy version.

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Ok after checking with the seller, the explanation is that
Mic version - Red on Right
non Mic version (what i'm using) - Red on Left.
So that was the reason i was spending so much time trying to figure out whether i plug in the pin wrongly.

Here is my impressions after running through a few songs.

Quick face off

new ED12 vs reigning Champion ZS3.

Summary/Overall impressions
Similar to ZS3, the earphone reacts very well with High resolution audio such as FLAC and other lossless format. Sound is average at lossy source.

Physically, the ED12 uses the same rubbery cable as the ATE which to me is fine. Similar to the ATE, ED12 also does not come with memory wire, thus the seller also sent a pair of Ear Hook with the ED12. Initially i was not comfortable with the default silicon tips that came by default, thus i swap it by using the ATE ones and well how good it fitted.

Tested Track - Silent Shout (FLAC)/Hey Eugene (FLAC)

Treble

The ED12 is more forward with the vocals and also brighter. Suspect fatigue will set in faster as compared to ZS3.
ZS3 sounds smoother comparatively.

The ED12 says 'do you understand what i am saying!', while the ZS3 says 'i'm telling you this is what i mean.'

Mid Range
No significant difference i can pick out here.

Bass

The ED12 is more controlled as compared to ZS3, which to a small group of users the ZS3 bass can be overwhelming at times. The ZS3 says 'set me free', while the ED12 is set loose but with a lease on.

Thanks for the impression! Just wondering, can you use the zs3 cable on the ED12? (since zs3 cable has memory wire)

Oops just saw its replied in the previous post...Sorry i asked too fast

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #11,961 of 64,386
A Teaser question:

what happens when you try to plug ZS3 cable into ED12 earbud and Vice Versa ? :D  

Alright.. Firstly the ZS3 cable can indeeed fit into the ED12 but not vice  versa because of the ear bud design the ED12 cable cannot reach into the 2 pins of the ZS3.

Using the ZS3 cable into the ED12, my first response was that. holy shxxt this cable is what makes ZS3 tick because the enhanced but controlled bass is immediately manifested out from the ED12. While doing this i also noticed it's tought to plug out the cable from the ED12 than from the ZS3, so i would advise against plugging in and out of ED12 for risk of breaking the pin.

Thanks a ton for your early but detailed impressions. Reading from your comments, it seems ED12 may not match with my musical preferences (btw, just ordered **** 4in1) and may be, i should try ZS3.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #11,962 of 64,386
Thanks a ton for your early but detailed impressions. Reading from your comments, it seems ED12 may not match with my musical preferences (btw, just ordered **** 4in1) and may be, i should try ZS3.

Maybe you can wait for a few more reviewers comment first before deciding as i'm just 1 person.
In fact after 2 hours of burning the sound has improved too :D

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #11,963 of 64,386
  @blazinblazin thanks mate 
beerchug.gif

@vapman this one? thanks 
beerchug.gif

@wastan thanks i'm not really familiar what a wide bore is 
beerchug.gif

would you guys recommend those tips from ali?
some of them look good

It's means a very wide opening. Here's a photo that Coil posted that's pretty similar to the bore I'm using on the ZS3 although mine is a double flange.  http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1416726/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #11,964 of 64,386
  Maybe you can wait for a few more reviewers comment first before deciding as i'm just 1 person.
In fact after 2 hours of burning the sound has improved too :D

You are right.

From what I can observe (again reading the comments from those that got it), ZS3 (in general) has received mostly praise. I am just assuming these are like an enhanced version of original ATE's signature (which I dig).

Took the plunge and just placed an order for ZS3 from GB 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #11,965 of 64,386
You are right.

From what I can observe (again reading the comments from those that got it), ZS3 (in general) has received mostly praise. I am just assuming these are like an enhanced version of original ATE's signature (which I dig).

Took the plunge and just placed an order for ZS3 from GB :D  

Same here, hope we dont get the 1st version which were faulty!

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #11,966 of 64,386
Same here, hope we dont get the 1st version which were faulty!

Yep. Before ordering from GearBest, yesterday, I have had my order canceled for ZS3's during its launch time in July (at GeekBuying) due to 1st batch recall.

I was just waiting for some positive impressions about the 2nd batch to take a call.

It's been nearly 2 months without any incidents (or I may have missed) since the initial recall. Hence, went ahead for a second try. 

Hope we don't end up getting a lemon 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #11,967 of 64,386
Well we all hope kz learnt their lesson that more haste = less speed.
Even mighty Samsung couldn't avoid having battery problems with their latest phone.. so ya.. anyone can have an 'off day. So far the one I am using is doing well especially after a night of run in.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #11,968 of 64,386
Just joined the club.....well, sorta club.
beerchug.gif
 I bought a ZS3 (having a fit issue, the supplied silicon tips aren't working out) and an ED12. Spent an hour or so burning them in on my Fiio X3 II and my HM901s, using the latter for listening and impressions.

Didn't have much time as it was night already in my neck of the woods, just before going to sleep last night, I realized that I had a good 3rd party 2pin cable stored in my drawer. Took it out and plugged it into my ED12, wish I hadn't done that, 'coz I then spent like a hour to two listening to the wee hours of the morning. Still too early to form any sorta impression, but I'm liking what I hear on my ED12. The cable is an Effect Audio Thor Silver 8 conductor cable which is pretty darn expensive (used it on my NA Savant before selling it off)

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #11,970 of 64,386
I just got KZ HDSE bluetooth today. Material on earphone housing is rubberized. I pairing to Vivo Xshot (bluetooth 4.0). Some sound jerk are found. Overall sound is better than my thought. Cool voice sound. Lack of details (Of course, its frequency response is 20-20kHz). Bass is boomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back