Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 9, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #8,840 of 64,102
Can you tell me about the sound signature of these: ED3, EDR1, ED4, ED1, DT5, ZS1
I'd like to know how they sound so I can pick which ones to get. 

I can only tell you about the ones I've owned/tried.

ED3 - I am assuming you are talking about the standard ED3 (Not the ED3 Youth) Bright, and has silbance similar to the ED9. Mids are still quite clear and bass feels laid back. Only tried it briefly as I did not like it much. This pair of earphones is also very heavy, even heavier than the ED9.

EDR1 - Also goes by the name of ED2 and ED Special Edition, they are all the same. Very warm sounding with lots of bass and sub bass, also a little veiled. Same goes for the mid range, not as clear as the ED3. Highs however, are well controlled and do not sound harsh at all. Sound stage and separation is reasonable, but nothing mind blowing. These are also very lightweight and have a nice strong metal construction. Not a bad starting point for your first KZ earphone.

ZS1 - This one is for the bass heads. Too much bloat in the low end for me to use. Both the mids and highs are there but they always feel like they are "behind" the bass. Was quite disappointed with it, I gave up after 1 day. It however has pretty decent sound stage.

Currently my favourites are the ED3 Youth (Also known as the ED3c) and the S3. The latter which is harder to come by and costs several dollars more than the Youth, but they are more refined and have better sound stage than the Youth.

Of course, keep in mind this is all my honest opinion, and we all have different hearing and different sound preferences. Other members may think otherwise depending on what kind of sound signature they prefer. But the ED3 Youth and S3 are by far some of the most balanced among the KZ lineup.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #8,841 of 64,102
  In @cr0wnest's words : ED10 or 11 both are bad. (Since nobody believes me that my ED10 is not broken) 

And the ED9 sounds like a hot mess with the uncontrolled sibilance. You want controlled bass get the ZN1 Mini simple as that.

I think those who see the ED10 as bad probably hear that dip and spike in the mids and understandably don't like it. I only "love" the ED10 when fixing the EQ. But without EQ fixes, I'd be merely indifferent at best to the Philips Fidelio S1, Piston 3, SHE3580, FXD40 among others noted as really good for their price.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #8,842 of 64,102
I think those who see the ED10 as bad probably hear that dip and spike in the mids and understandably don't like it. I only "love" the ED10 when fixing the EQ. But without EQ fixes, I'd be merely indifferent at best to the Philips Fidelio S1, Piston 3, SHE3580, FXD40 among others noted as really good for their price.

To be fair, the ED10/11 has a lot of clarity, perhaps maybe even on par with the ED9. But sadly it lacks weight and depth in its overall sound signature due to the laid back mids and bass. I know we can "fix" it with EQ, but that would change the overall sound signature of the earphone and in some cases it causes them to sound very artificial. I tried "fixing" the ED9 with several different EQ settings but in the end I still went flat because it sounded the most "natural" to me. And EQ'ing more bass on the ED9 causes it to distort very easily.

I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to headphones and IEMs, the only time I use EQ is while listening via speakers which varies in sound depending on how you place them and what environment you are in. Headphones and IEMs on the other hand, should sound the same as long as you fit them correctly.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #8,845 of 64,102

To be fair, the ED10/11 has a lot of clarity, perhaps maybe even on par with the ED9. But sadly it lacks weight and depth in its overall sound signature due to the laid back mids and bass. I know we can "fix" it with EQ, but that would change the overall sound signature of the earphone and in some cases it causes them to sound very artificial. I tried "fixing" the ED9 with several different EQ settings but in the end I still went flat because it sounded the most "natural" to me. And EQ'ing more bass on the ED9 causes it to distort very easily.

I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to headphones and IEMs, the only time I use EQ is while listening via speakers which varies in sound depending on how you place them and what environment you are in. Headphones and IEMs on the other hand, should sound the same as long as you fit them correctly.
my KZ Ed 11 definitely don't lack in weight.. Probably my favourite KZ iems.
And I never use equaliser.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #8,846 of 64,102
  In @cr0wnest's words : ED10 or 11 both are bad. (Since nobody believes me that my ED10 is not broken) 

And the ED9 sounds like a hot mess with the uncontrolled sibilance. You want controlled bass get the ZN1 Mini simple as that.

Again my ED9 certainly does not sound like a hot mess and I wonder if your "top hp" is the HD668b what you thought of its treble? 

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #8,848 of 64,102
Hmm I am considering getting my first KZ, which one is the best allrounder in the line-up in you guys opinion? The sheer amount of choice is overwhelming me lol.

What I generally like: Punchy Bass, weighty vocals, extended, flat treble response, upfront sound. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #8,849 of 64,102
The 668B's treble is silky smooth and not spiky at all.
It could a number of things besides the ed9's causing that. Tip, fit, seal,& source also play a part. I use the jvc spiral dot medium tips and sound is very good with ed9. Just suggestions you may want to think about. The hds1 gives me fits getting the proper seal and when it's not in my ear perfectly it sounds anemic. I've never had this much trouble with another iem. But they sound fantastic when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back