Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #8,461 of 64,382
Haha JPop is still cool, its the western pop of the last decade I cannot stand the most. :p

The S3 is hard to come by on Aliexpress, and Taobao is more complicated to buy from. I guess I'll wait for more of those stores to bring it in? If they ever do. 

You guys are much more experienced with AE, and their confusing labeling... Does this seem like a legit ED3 S3 or the standard? Or in recent posts, is there even a difference? LOL. Adding to the confusion?

KZ-S3 Headset in bass rock Headset Headset metal HIFI mobile phone computer Headset trend
http://s.aliexpress.com/yeeieMNV
(from AliExpress Android)

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #8,462 of 64,382
Coincidentally, my ED9 and ATE-S arrived today, a day after I got my ED Special Edition. :)

The ED9 was a little disappointing, its got nice punchy bass with lots of clarity but the highs are just too fatiguing for my J-POP music. Swapping out the inserts didn't really help either, although the brass nozzles had amazing sound stage and detail. But recently I'm leaning more towards a warmer sound signature.

The ATE-S (The newer one with improved sound tuning and memory wire) really surprised me. I've heard several say its comparable to the IM50 and some consider it to be a "poor man's SE215" but its really something else. Ive never owned the IM50, but I did use the SE215 for quite a while before I moved onto the CKR9 and CKR10 from AT. I think the ATE-S already beats the SE215 for two reasons - The price, and it does not have as much of high end roll off the SE215 was notorious for, and for me personally that was my biggest gripe with that IEM. The ATE-S is a keeper for me. It turned out to be a lot smaller than I thought and I guess thats a good thing because it sits nicely in your ears. The Audio-Technica IM50 and IM70 was too painful for me to wear. The sound stage on the ATE-S was also pleasant, if my ears aren't deceiving me I'd say they are slightly wider than the SE215. If anyone is considering an entry level over the ear IEM for casual listening, monitoring, or someone just getting into the audiophile market, I'd check out the KZ ATE-S. :)  

Interesting, I have the older ED9 and it's old. I can't really describe the highs as fatiguig. I'm still running the brass inserts. I wonder if they changed drivers to the newer driver ( found in the black units etc) and if that's the new signature? Anyway glad you like the ATE's, thanks for the feed back.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #8,463 of 64,382
You guys are much more experienced with AE, and their confusing labeling... Does this seem like a legit ED3 S3 or the standard? Or in recent posts, is there even a difference? LOL. Adding to the confusion?

KZ-S3 Headset in bass rock Headset Headset metal HIFI mobile phone computer Headset trend
http://s.aliexpress.com/yeeieMNV
(from AliExpress Android)

Looks legit to me. Then again, I've no idea how the S3 is supposed to look like. But this store has pretty good rating and feedback, still the lack of feedback on this listing itself is rather odd.

Interesting, I have the older ED9 and it's old. I can't really describe the highs as fatiguig. I'm still running the brass inserts. I wonder if they changed drivers to the newer driver ( found in the black units etc) and if that's the new signature? Anyway glad you like the ATE's, thanks for the feed back.

Perhaps.. Were there people reporting the newer ED9's have a different sound signature? I don't recall ever hearing any of that.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #8,464 of 64,382
I like the ed9 and hds1 much better than anv unfortunately. Paying $50 for them is really too much, $20 maybe, anymore you'd better buy ER Kids or Havi.

Well I haven't listened to the ANV but I completely agree with the price comment. I have been looking at back filling my Kz holes, Micro-ring, IE80 and a few others. The ones I've found are just over priced, only one Kz was at the original release price (IE80 copy) and even that felt expensive at $29.00 definately prefer Kz's new price structure

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #8,465 of 64,382
Looks legit to me. Then again, I've no idea how the S3 is supposed to look like. But this store has pretty good rating and feedback, still the lack of feedback on this listing itself is rather odd.
Perhaps.. Were there people reporting the newer ED9's have a different sound signature? I don't recall ever hearing any of that.

I have simply seen the market ads which seem to hint at a new patented speaker design. But then I haven't heard of anyone comparing the new to the first incarnation which focused, ad wise on filters and venting. I did buy an Ed9 as amstocking stuffer for my son, so I'll give it a listen tomarrow. It was more of a passing thought than anything and simply based on pretty pictures from the marketing guys

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #8,466 of 64,382
I like the ed9 and hds1 much better than anv unfortunately. Paying $50 for them is really too much, $20 maybe, anymore you'd better buy ER Kids or Havi.

cool.gif
Although the Havis had a very good sound they required too much power to get them to a decent volume, and IF You did power them and EQ in some Bass or Bass Boost them they turned into a muddy distorted mess.

I was rid of them in 2 weeks, after I completed Burn in. I CANNOT tolerate Distortion. If a Driver can't stand up to sufficient power to get it to a Respectable Volume level then it's a case of POOR engineering.

I never Really liked the Treble Heavy ED9, I MUCH prefer the EDSE.

Everyone has different Tastes.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #8,467 of 64,382

cool.gif
Although the Havis had a very good sound they required too much power to get them to a decent volume, and IF You did power them and EQ in some Bass or Bass Boost them they turned into a muddy distorted mess.

I was rid of them in 2 weeks, after I completed Burn in. I CANNOT tolerate Distortion. If a Driver can't stand up to sufficient power to get it to a Respectable Volume level then it's a case of POOR engineering.

I never Really liked the Treble Heavy ED9, I MUCH prefer the EDSE.

Everyone has different Tastes.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Haven't ran into the " Muddy distorted mess" as described. but I do run them with an amp. I have a few that just don't sound right with out the amp. Havi's and Puro's but both work very well amped. It sounds like your describing my TT pods, which are my " two week" shove em in a drawer IEM.
On a lighter note. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Years no humbug here!

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #8,468 of 64,382

Really, I bailed from the KZ shopping spree after my HDS2, have the 1 and 9's gone up that much on AliEx?:xf_eek:

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #8,469 of 64,382
Awe come on, I like the idea of Zn1 "mini"!! It's descriptive, understandable and a only 2000 pieces no reason to confuse me by having to learn something new! Oh by the way. Merry Christmas or Happy holiday or ???

All I'm wanting to know are the new ZN1 Minu the same as the old ZS1 without the memory wire?? Has anyone heard them and determined they are the old memory wire basd monster ZS1's:smirk:

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #8,470 of 64,382
All I'm wanting to know are the new ZN1 Minu the same as the old ZS1 without the memory wire?? Has anyone heard them and determined they are the old memory wire basd monster ZS1's:smirk:

If I had to quess, which I do of course. I would expect them to be similar but not quite the same. More linear but probably still a little bass heavy. Still I'm dreaming it will sound like the Zn1 powered "on" but in neutral median ( 7,7 ) setting. But even if there the same as the ZS1 without memory wire I think I'll enjoy them more and get a better fit.

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #8,471 of 64,382
The KZ S3 is a light alloy silver IEM only coming with black or blue wires, that's it! ......Not your typical rubbery see-thru brown wires as you see most KZ brands come with.

Unless the seller states they're the "S3's" it should have the exact same features mentioned above.

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #8,472 of 64,382
Finally got my ZS1 to sound decent. I always use small\medium tips but tried some large @ss tips and wow...best they have ever sounded. I don't think I was ever getting a seal before and these big tips and the mem wire let me press them in for a good seal...finally. Listening to some Eat Static btw.

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #8,473 of 64,382
Finally got my ZS1 to sound decent. I always use small\medium tips but tried some large @ss tips and wow...best they have ever sounded. I don't think I was ever getting a seal before and these big tips and the mem wire let me press them in for a good seal...finally. Listening to some Eat Static btw.

Nice Cad, once you find that tip try some custom EQ if you have those features or even factory EQ settings:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: After 35 hours or so my ZS's tightened up and with good power and EQ the sound way better than their price tag might suggest!

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #8,474 of 64,382
Quote:
  The S3 is hard to come by on Aliexpress, and Taobao is more complicated to buy from. I guess I'll wait for more of those stores to bring it in? If they ever do. 

You can always try Mister Tao if you don't feel like waiting

Or wait until they drop in price after Jan 1. That's how I got mine for $12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back