Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 10, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #59,416 of 64,379
I apologize if this is old news for all of you hifi-vets but has anyone here seen this video from the user "Hi-Fri Audio" on youtube about KZ?

"Overly long video talking about the KZ Drama, a little overview, Crin, HBB, and more"

Jun 11, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #59,417 of 64,379
Alitools is a useful plugin for chrome, that takes into account a few other things than just the feedback ratings. Also does price history which gives a better idea whether any claimed discount is real (or how low it is likely to go during sales). Ratings on AliExpress can be faked, be very wary of perfect scores, especially if there are no reviews, minimal or very similar comments. Exactly the same pattern in number of sales is also a giveaway. So if sales of many items are the same low number particularly with minimal reviews be suspicious. Length of time the trader has been operating is also valuable, scammers will accumulate bad reviews! Pay careful attention to top sales as well. Large numbers of sales for cheap and/or unrelated items, may then be accompanied by a few expensive items with few or no sales and no feedback. Also be wary of bait and switch. The clickbait price may just be for a cable or case etc., the IEM is another option for a much higher price. Lastly check the postage, cheap prices are usually loaded with higher shipping charges. Tracked shipping is safer but there are scams that just provide fake tracking numbers (usually for another order). So be very wary when you are told an order you still haven't received, is suddenly announced to have been delivered! I have never had any problems with AliExpress Standard Shipping so always choose that in preference. E-Packet has been okay as well, usually for smaller items. Always be suspicious and the regular warning "If it looks too good to be true, it's probably is".
Thanks very much for that, a lot of useful information there.
Yeah, that bait and switch thing has made sorting search results by price useless at times.

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #59,418 of 64,379
As someone who isn't sure what sound characteristics I prefer yet I've been keeping an eye on this store selling the EDA 3 pack, waiting for someone to cry scam but even with the very low price, which includes free Aliexpress Standard Delivery if selected, they've had 165 orders and no bad reviews (for the EDA that is).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004212386509.html

As I was looking into the store's other items for red flags I noticed this listing which has the EDA Balanced extremely cheap.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004379504421.html

I'm not recommending them as I may be missing something more experienced Ali buyers would notice, just giving you something to consider/confuse matters.:)
I was also worried at first but I decided to order from that store. I chose shipping from France so they should come next week. The tracking number they gave me looks very legit and the courier I would expect coming from an european warehouse. I'll report back later.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #59,419 of 64,379
Thanks very much for that, a lot of useful information there.
Yeah, that bait and switch thing has made sorting search results by price useless at times.
Sorting by sales is often better than price. Assuming that most buyers won't pick the worst option. Ticking the free shipping can be useful too.

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #59,420 of 64,379
I was also worried at first but I decided to order from that store. I chose shipping from France so they should come next week. The tracking number they gave me looks very legit and the courier I would expect coming from an european warehouse. I'll report back later.
I'm looking forward to their arrival, the price is really good so I'm hoping for the best. :)

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #59,421 of 64,379
My beloved ZS10 pros glare blues have worn out at the pin side due to crumbling connectors, so I have replaced them with some CCA C10 with snazzy black stripes.
IMG_20220612_144712.jpg

They do not have a ba in the nozzle, and sound less harsh than my ZS10 pro. These will be my new side sleeper headphones along with my blon bl-03. They also come with the silver cable which is a bonus. I might be switching back to my tripowin zonie cable though, as I like the feel of them.
The nozzles are angled slightly differently to the ZS10 pro although it is quite difficult to get a decent photo of this. They angle to the earphone body is more square in the CCA C10.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #59,422 of 64,379
My beloved ZS10 pros glare blues have worn out at the pin side due to crumbling connectors, so I have replaced them with some CCA C10 with snazzy black stripes.

They do not have a ba in the nozzle, and sound less harsh than my ZS10 pro. These will be my new side sleeper headphones along with my blon bl-03. They also come with the silver cable which is a bonus. I might be switching back to my tripowin zonie cable though, as I like the feel of them.
The nozzles are angled slightly differently to the ZS10 pro although it is quite difficult to get a decent photo of this. They angle to the earphone body is more square in the CCA C10.
Great to hear you like them!
They are C10 pro not C10 (a gently sounding hybrid) or more recent CA10 (all BA) I know, I know :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #59,423 of 64,379
Here are soundcomparisons between the KZ Eda Balanced and CCA CRA+, Tripowin Lea and Moondrop Chu. I felt these were the most interesting comparisons for me to listen to. There are several others on the YouTubechannel. To me the CCA CRA+ indeed feels a little bit too busy and intense for what I'm looking for right now and it just made me more interested in the EDA Balanced. From what I'm hearing I also prefer the Eda Balanced over the Tripowin Lea. To me the Moondrop Chu is just ever so slightly a tad bit too lean and a tad bit too shouty for my ears. The detail retreaval and clarity seems great in the Chu though. I'm listening through my TinHifi T2 hooked up to my Poco F3. All sound-enhancements and equalizing are of course turned off. There are several more soundcomparisons with EDA Balanced and also between many other IEMs on that YouTubechannel.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #59,424 of 64,379
Here are soundcomparisons between the KZ Eda Balanced and CCA CRA+, Tripowin Lea and Moondrop Chu. I felt these were the most interesting comparisons for me to listen to. There are several others on the YouTubechannel. To me the CCA CRA+ indeed feels a little bit too busy and intense for what I'm looking for right now and it just made me more interested in the EDA Balanced. From what I'm hearing I also prefer the Eda Balanced over the Tripowin Lea. To me the Moondrop Chu is just ever so slightly a tad bit too lean and a tad bit too shouty for my ears. The detail retreaval and clarity seems great in the Chu though. I'm listening through my TinHifi T2 hooked up to my Poco F3. All sound-enhancements and equalizing are of course turned off. There are several more soundcomparisons with EDA Balanced and also between many other IEMs on that YouTubechannel.

It should be nice.. The EDA is supposed to be a replacement for the CCA CRA for me, because mine broke, unfortunately. The speedy driver (same in CRA) and tight bass, although not as "rumbly", is very good for electronic music in my opinion, because it never gets convoluted. ESX caught my interest too but ill try the EDA first, if only it arrives from that store. 😁

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #59,425 of 64,379
It should be nice.. The EDA is supposed to be a replacement for the CCA CRA for me, because mine broke, unfortunately. The speedy driver (same in CRA) and tight bass, although not as "rumbly", is very good for electronic music in my opinion, because it never gets convoluted. ESX caught my interest too but ill try the EDA first, if only it arrives from that store. 😁
I ordered the balanced one. If it doesn't arrive I'll get my money back from aliexpress which I've always gotten before and looking at all the reviews of the EDA-3pack from that store it should be fine. :)

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #59,426 of 64,379
Both CRA and EDA balanced offer great values. CRA under $12 and EDA pack if 3 under $24 are amazing deals to me. I like both about equally.
I psychologically could not get CRA+ at more than double the price of CRA bit now at $20 or so - should be competitive.
My CRA+ and ESX are on their way just for the fun to compare :)

Jun 13, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #59,427 of 64,379
I am not sure why was not mentioned here in relation to all recent accusations against KZ:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/2386473901653225/permalink/2839232659710678/

I am really a bit sad that Crin seems to surrender to the "crowd".
All drivers were connected, and resistors less than 50 Ohm are not unreasonable.
I was really worried that ZEX pro would be tamed in treble - and it is not at all to my ears.

The same with DQ6 (not DQ6s that I would not touch with a pole) - most BA-like DD to my ears.

The measurements of treble drivers seem to be inadequate, as well as EST drivers may be overrated altogether.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #59,428 of 64,379
EDX Ultra came in today.
First impression: Fun! Needs a midbass cut and a 6-8kHz treble boost and then it truly shines.
Between the EDA Balanced, CRA+, and this, I'm not mad at any of them. Lots of value in all three, and minor EQ tweaks take them all a price range up in SQ.

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #59,429 of 64,379

Those are the CCA C10 pro (not the C10). I agree with you about the zonie cable, they are up there with the NiceHCK 16 core cables for comfort!
EDX Ultra came in today.
First impression: Fun! Needs a midbass cut and a 6-8kHz treble boost and then it truly shines.
Between the EDA Balanced, CRA+, and this, I'm not mad at any of them. Lots of value in all three, and minor EQ tweaks take them all a price range up in SQ.

What's funny is that my preference is warm, with a mid-bass boost and slightly rolled off treble. The EDX sounds perfect!

Unfortunately mine haven't made it out of China yet. :triportsad:

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #59,430 of 64,379
I am not sure why was not mentioned here in relation to all recent accusations against KZ:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/2386473901653225/permalink/2839232659710678/

I am really a bit sad that Crin seems to surrender to the "crowd".
All drivers were connected, and resistors less than 50 Ohm are not unreasonable.
I was really worried that ZEX pro would be tamed in treble - and it is not at all to my ears.

The same with DQ6 (not DQ6s that I would not touch with a pole) - most BA-like DD to my ears.

The measurements of treble drivers seem to be inadequate, as well as EST drivers may be overrated altogether.
Very interesting. Thank you for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back