Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #58,636 of 63,929
So tl;dr other drivers just add spice to the main driver sound. Why someone would manufacture a dead hardware identical to a perfect working one is the question I think. Better did Beats, economically, inserting literal useless metal weight

I'd like to see same experiment with Penon Serial tbh. 10x price and same way of tuning? No way!

Mar 3, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #58,637 of 63,929
Personally i don't fully agree with "these extra driver ain't working properly" but rather they impact the sounds just slightly so that they don't effect too much in the sounds
I have NRA, ZEX (pro and non pro) and all of them have the same grain/ whispiness / edgy of being est while DQ6 have resonance because they have a tube like the pic shown below
But again, they can just do one DD iem like CRA and they will sound awesome. Love the NRA and DQ6 tho
Just wait for the single DD that isn't connected......lol

Mar 3, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #58,638 of 63,929
Just wait for the single DD that isn't connected......lol
Remind me of this headphone-nes
IMG_20220303_233853.jpg

"Maybe they make sound by scratching your ears or something" - in aussie

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #58,639 of 63,929
i guess this would explain why my single DD iens from kz such as edx pro and cra sounds just as good as more expensive ones like zex pro, Zsn pro x and zst x minus the very high frequencies that sometimes comes through the BA. always felt that high frequency extension was much better with other brand iem with BA. for example the cra can handle most of the frequency range including the high ones from hearing test alone.

either the kz BAs are not sensitive enough or the crossover or the lack of any is not filtering the higher frequencies from going to the DD so the BA can process them. much like the woofer mid and tweeter arrangement in a conventional speaker without proper crossover to filter the signals. maybe kz should work on improving with a proper crossover instead of trying to fit the most number of drivers in their iems. just my 2 cents...

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #58,641 of 63,929
i guess this would explain why my single DD iens from kz such as edx pro and cra sounds just as good as more expensive ones like zex pro, Zsn pro x and zst x minus the very high frequencies that sometimes comes through the BA. always felt that high frequency extension was much better with other brand iem with BA. for example the cra can handle most of the frequency range including the high ones from hearing test alone.

either the kz BAs are not sensitive enough or the crossover or the lack of any is not filtering the higher frequencies from going to the DD so the BA can process them. much like the woofer mid and tweeter arrangement in a conventional speaker without proper crossover to filter the signals. maybe kz should work on improving with a proper crossover instead of trying to fit the most number of drivers in their iems. just my 2 cents...
I bet even the more expensive IEMs have the same tuning concept with no real crossover as you can't really fit a good inductor low pass filter circuit in that small shell for the DD or the Bass BA. Like this Leisurely Audio (aka GS audio) E16 with 4 Sonion ESTs, 12 BAs per side priced at RMB 8000, the circuit board only involves caps and resistors. (of higher quality than those in KZ IEMs, but still dity cheap)

O1CN01vkZYM61bTTSBxlXcb_!!4159263466.jpg

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #58,645 of 63,929
I just ordered a KZ AS12. What am I in for? :upside_down:

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #58,646 of 63,929
I just ordered a KZ AS12. What am I in for? :upside_down:
Ha ha, I have ordered one of those as well. I ordered it from Ali Express and it was returned to the warehouse, twice. I received a refund. I then ordered it again from a different store and it has been returned again. I am waiting to find out if it will be sent out again. I hope you have more luck. There does not seem to be many reviews or opinions on these, but I was keen to hear what the 30012 drivers sound like.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #58,647 of 63,929
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #58,648 of 63,929
Ha ha, I have ordered one of those as well. I ordered it from Ali Express and it was returned to the warehouse, twice. I received a refund. I then ordered it again from a different store and it has been returned again. I am waiting to find out if it will be sent out again. I hope you have more luck. There does not seem to be many reviews or opinions on these, but I was keen to hear what the 30012 drivers sound like.
30012 is the roughest beast of a treble driver that I have ever experienced. Yet it is dampened heavily by the treble tube filter. So in an original form, the best part of AS12 is the bass, really beats BA10 and AS10 for me. Then, if to choose your optimal dampening of the treble by modding - a lot of potential, in my opinion. And all the drivers are real and connected :)

(I did not want to participate in the recent discussions, I can only assure thar the NRA "static" driver is real and I heard it alone myself. Then if DQ6, which is to me the most BA-like DD, has only one DD operational - kudos to KZ! I would not easily beleive it, but then in the end, the performance/price ratio of DQ6 is great in my book)

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #58,649 of 63,929
30012 is the roughest beast of a treble driver that I have ever experienced. Yet it is dampened heavily by the treble tube filter. So in an original form, the best part of AS12 is the bass, really beats BA10 and AS10 for me. Then, if to choose your optimal dampening of the treble by modding - a lot of potential, in my opinion. And all the drivers are real and connected :)

(I did not want to participate in the recent discussions, I can only assure thar the NRA "static" driver is real and I heard it alone myself. Then if DQ6, which is to me the most BA-like DD, has only one DD operational - kudos to KZ! I would not easily beleive it, but then in the end, the performance/price ratio of DQ6 is great in my book)
How is its technical ability? I'm thinking of modding mine, but I'm planning on reducing the bass and probably treble.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #58,650 of 63,929
I recently acquired the AST. I am finding it excellent for classical music. In this piece, the AST managed to reveal all the layers in the dense scoring:

And this is a delightful piece, the AST's reproduction of the woodwind is beautiful:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back