Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #56,611 of 63,965
Can someone provide EQ settings (10 bands) for DQ6? Thank you.

EQ is such a personal thing that I find it hard to share settings and much of a meaningful conversation. We're comparing fingerprints and looking for a match between simple shapes like squares, circles, and octagons ... it's just never gonna happen. Even the fancy APO curves for Harman targets don't really do much for me with my overears sets. I'm not a big fan of these curves, anyhow.

Having said all that, I like to give DQ6 a healthy subbass boost for everything, and about 3-5 dB of bass boost below 60 Hz for rock. This pair has pretty good sparkle up top - for rock 'n roll I jack 1-4 kHz in varying amounts to taste to bring out lead guitars. Technicalities are quite decent on the DQ6, but I to be honest when I grab these it's because I'm busy doing something else and not really actively listening. The stock profile works well for me as a plugin-n-go pair. I still really dig this set and find myself enjoying everything out of them for casual listening.

I found that DQ6 sounds worse with a balanced cable on my bt3k. These are not vying to be audiophile grade for focused analytical or critical listening, but they are a darn good pair to just toss in your ear holes and go!

Hope that helps, cheers

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #56,612 of 63,965
EQ is such a personal thing that I find it hard to share settings and much of a meaningful conversation.
I totally agree with you, but I read some reviews in which it was mentioned that minor flaws could and even need to be compensated by EQ. So I thought if there were such settings for these headphones? As a starting point for experimentation. Thanx.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #56,613 of 63,965
Asked CCA for more info on the CA24, seems it will have all the same BAs as the AST. I am really curious if such config will bring back some treble. :thinking: :thinking:
Edit and note: not sure if the above pic is final.
1631539638793.jpg1631539735025.jpg
1631539628384.jpg1631539740474.jpg
1631540088753.jpg1631540076122.jpg
vs the AST
Graphs look the same to me just different y-axis scale, lol.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #56,614 of 63,965
1631539638793.jpg
1631539735025.jpg1631539628384.jpg
1631539740474.jpg
1631540088753.jpg1631540076122.jpg
vs the AST
Graphs look the same to me just different y-axis scale, lol.
The drivers are the same, the nozzles look very similar as well, and near identical graphs. In this form, it may be a hard sell for CCA, unless I miss some important difference.

On another note, how did you dissassemble NRAs - heating the top plate and lifting it?

P. S. I still plan to get C24, my AST now are with a wide nozzle graft on heat glue. I do miss the treble extension in AST, but upper mids (or low treble) are really amazing with the BA array. So I still hope CCA will move treble BAs closer or give them a bit more power with the crossover circuit.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #56,615 of 63,965
The drivers are the same, the nozzles look very similar as well, and near identical graphs. In this form, it may be a hard sell for CCA, unless I miss some important difference.

On another note, how did you dissassemble NRAs - heating the top plate and lifting it?

P. S. I still plan to get C24, my AST now are with a wide nozzle graft on heat glue. I do miss the treble extension in AST, but upper mids (or low treble) are really amazing with the BA array. So I still hope CCA will move treble BAs closer or give them a bit more power with the crossover circuit.
Ya, feels like the only difference is the faceplate and I expect the ZEX to be really 'similar' to the NRA as well.

The NRA is the most difficult KZ/CCA IEM I have ever opened up I guess they changed to using a stronger glue and you will definitely leave some knife marks. Basically just heat the faceplate and use a razor (cutter) to cut at the joint interface (the slit, but there is no slit, you need to damage the shell a bit to let the cutter slide in) and keep cutting around the 'slit'.

I don't think moving the treble BAs closer will help as they are so outnumbered and they are all tubed so the volume won't actually change. They simply need to add more treble BAs maybe with their ASXV with 3 more treble BAs. :joy:

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #56,616 of 63,965
Hi @independent

I heat up the face plate to soften the glue using a hairdryer. Then slip a penknife at the connector side to pry open the face plate slowly and carefully.
As in the previous post picture, the connector is secure with 2 Torx screws.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Really appreciate this advice.

So, I opened up the headphone and it was pretty obvious the torx screws were overtightened and stripped the thread at point of manufacture. One torx screw was just loose in the shell. The other was spinning freely.

This was my 6th pair of KZ IEMs and the most expensive by far. I'd tried to get some money back from Aliexpress and was denied even showing how the connector was loose when I first received them. No luck there.

Really not sure what to think now. I guess it's one of those things where you get burnt and it leaves a sour taste. Thanks again for the help. I've really enjoyed this thread and will probably keep reading it. Not sure I'll ever buy another pair of KZs.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #56,617 of 63,965
I hope this would give people some insight into buying goods from Aliexpress. I recently bought KZ SK10 from this store : https://luckylz.aliexpress.com/store/4612004?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_feedback.pcShopHead_9655987.0 (link was given by one of the members on here). Prior to this purchase, I did not have any issues purchasing KZ TWS products before; however, when I received the item, the Right earbud was dead right of the box while L side was not. Thinking of it being out of battery, I removed insulation on the connector on both sides and let them charge over the night. The next morning, the L worked normally as usual but the R was still pretty much dead. Unlike the previous TWS KZ AS8 that I bought, there is no LED indicator on SK10 so the only way to notice if the earbud is powered on is through the sound. No matter what I did with the R side, pressing down on the side, touching etc, it would never turn on. I opened a case on aliexpress on this issue, after explaining and posting video. Seller at first was giving me a headache, he believed that I was such a noob that I did not remove the insulation on the connector so after numerous attempts he still insisted that I need to send this item back to him while not providing me any shipping label for return. It literally costs 20-30 USD to ship a package to China from USPS not a few bucks in China that's how they shipped. I opened the case with Paypal and still the same thing, they ask me to return the item while not providing me a damn label. So beware of buying from Aliexpress at this point because those chinese sellers will not cover for any defect items.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #56,619 of 63,965
Extracted with WPD:

AST vs CA24.png
Hopefully their graphs aren't accurate about the treble cliff, because that's a ridiculous amount of roll-off before 10kHz. The weird mids hump also got even bigger. These graphs confuse me so much.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #56,622 of 63,965
Extracted with WPD:

Looks like a big graph of NOPE. I'm disappointed that they just cloned the AST and find it hard to believe they left this unit so hamstrung after getting it wrong the first time.

Nothing left to do now except to destroy myself with liquor and cheap ZEX.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #56,624 of 63,965
Looks like a big graph of NOPE. I'm disappointed that they just cloned the AST and find it hard to believe they left this unit so hamstrung after getting it wrong the first time.

Nothing left to do now except to destroy myself with liquor and cheap ZEX.
The ZEX can be an NRA clone :joy: . Let's hope it won't be.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #56,625 of 63,965
I hope this would give people some insight into buying goods from Aliexpress. I recently bought KZ SK10 from this store : https://luckylz.aliexpress.com/store/4612004?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_feedback.pcShopHead_9655987.0 (link was given by one of the members on here). Prior to this purchase, I did not have any issues purchasing KZ TWS products before; however, when I received the item, the Right earbud was dead right of the box while L side was not. Thinking of it being out of battery, I removed insulation on the connector on both sides and let them charge over the night. The next morning, the L worked normally as usual but the R was still pretty much dead. Unlike the previous TWS KZ AS8 that I bought, there is no LED indicator on SK10 so the only way to notice if the earbud is powered on is through the sound. No matter what I did with the R side, pressing down on the side, touching etc, it would never turn on. I opened a case on aliexpress on this issue, after explaining and posting video. Seller at first was giving me a headache, he believed that I was such a noob that I did not remove the insulation on the connector so after numerous attempts he still insisted that I need to send this item back to him while not providing me any shipping label for return. It literally costs 20-30 USD to ship a package to China from USPS not a few bucks in China that's how they shipped. I opened the case with Paypal and still the same thing, they ask me to return the item while not providing me a damn label. So beware of buying from Aliexpress at this point because those chinese sellers will not cover for any defect items.

Amazon is for sure the better route. Every purchase on AliExpress is like inverse Vegas. Usually you win, but sometimes lady luck strikes hard.

In another thread, a couple of people had a pretty difficult time returning obviously defective gear back to Penon recently, which is known as a reputable brand and a sponsor of this site. We get spoilt for price but occasionally are reminded that this whole chifi affair is different than picking up a pair of JBL down at the mall with a reliable return policy. Caveat emptor. I personally would have a hard time spending more than ~ 100 at AliExpress because I assume there's a 50/50 chance of getting defective gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back