Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #56,461 of 63,930
Keeping all KZ/CCA product catalog straight in your head is an ominous task. I've been reading through old posts in this thread from 2018-2019-early 2020. Many people were (and probably still are) very fond of the ZS7 (1DD+4BA), but I think the Robin is actually selling for less money as of right now. I would have to bet that Robin's bass is better controlled, just as warm, and that overall it has better tuning based on reviews coming through.

The thing is that the mid range IEM segment from KZ and CCA hit 6-8 driver count per side in yr 2020, leaving the ZS6, ZS7, ZS10 and C10 and C10 Pro segment left for dead in 2021 in favor of cheap 1DD+1BA designs on the bottom end of the range. If you prefer a few less driver count for a more coherent sound in these hybrids, there's really nothing else competing with the Robin at that price point.

edit: for BA hybrid, that is. DQ6 is a wonderful 3-way dynamic that I absolutely adore for rock and pop. I'm still getting a fair bit of head time with those while working.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #56,462 of 63,930
Keeping all KZ/CCA product catalog straight in your head is an ominous task. I've been reading through old posts in this thread from 2018-2019-early 2020. Many people were (and probably still are) very fond of the ZS7 (1DD+4BA), but I think the Robin is actually selling for less money as of right now. I would have to bet that Robin's bass is better controlled, just as warm, and that overall it has better tuning based on reviews coming through.

The thing is that the mid range IEM segment from KZ and CCA hit 6-8 driver count per side in yr 2020, leaving the ZS6, ZS7, ZS10 and C10 and C10 Pro segment left for dead in 2021 in favor of cheap 1DD+1BA designs on the bottom end of the range. If you prefer a few less driver count for a more coherent sound in these hybrids, there's really nothing else competing with the Robin at that price point.

Actually KBEAR Robin's bass isn't very controlled. It bleeds and is a bit one noted. The midbass bleed adds to warm the lower mids, but those that want a fast and tight bass may not like it, so YMMV. Robin is a U shaped set, non fatiguing and smooth. Tonality is generally good for treble sensitive folk and those that want a warm bassy tuning. The KBEAR Robin isn't bad, but the technicalities aren't classleading for the $50ish price range, soundstage and microdetails are a bit limited.

There are more technical sets eg HZSound Heart Mirror. Even KZ ZS10 Pro has better technicalities than the KBEAR Robin.

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #56,463 of 63,930
Actually KBEAR Robin's bass isn't very controlled. It bleeds and is a bit one noted. The midbass bleed adds to warm the lower mids, but those that want a fast and tight bass may not like it, so YMMV. Robin is a U shaped set, non fatiguing and smooth. Tonality is generally good for treble sensitive folk and those that want a warm bassy tuning. The KBEAR Robin isn't bad, but the technicalities aren't classleading for the $50ish price range, soundstage and microdetails are a bit limited.

There are more technical sets eg HZSound Heart Mirror. Even KZ ZS10 Pro has better technicalities than the KBEAR Robin.
Yeah, the bass on the Robin is definitely slow/loose, more in line with the Final E3000 for example.
The tech is pretty dissapointing for 55 usd, it is more around 25 usd (DQ6, 03, MH755/750) to me....

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #56,465 of 63,930
The DQ6 is so well-tuned and so detailed that I don't see a reason to buy an IEM over 100€ now.
Diminishing returns hit pretty hard. I say the next step up would be the GS Audio GD3A (S ranked),

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #56,467 of 63,930
Diminishing returns hit pretty hard. I say the next step up would be the GS Audio GD3A (S ranked),
The GD5 will be making a return as well sometime soon-ish (their rep couldn't give me a date). I'll be ordering a set of those when they do.

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #56,468 of 63,930
Today I achieved a great feat. I tried to foam mod my DQ6 and pushed the grills in while doing so. Pushing my leftover Moondrop Starfield grills on the now open nozzles helped and sounds good.

Without some foam in it the DQ6 sounds totally fine.
We can't help but salute you for your efforts here. Carry on!

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #56,469 of 63,930
Today I achieved a great feat. I tried to foam mod my DQ6 and pushed the grills in while doing so. Pushing my leftover Moondrop Starfield grills on the now open nozzles helped and sounds good.

Without some foam in it the DQ6 sounds totally fine.

I also experienced something similar with my DQ6. I pushed in one of the nozzle screen accidentally, then just took off the screens and put earfoam strips over the nozzles. But I realized they became a bit too smooth sounding. The open nozzles didn’t sound as sharp nor did they lack much in bass. But out of caution, I decided to put on some spare nozzle screens that I had left over from the Blon BL-03 mod I did. I kinda wish I had an unmodded DQ6 to compare. Still, it’s a very pleasant IEM.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #56,470 of 63,930
I also experienced something similar with my DQ6. I pushed in one of the nozzle screen accidentally, then just took off the screens and put earfoam strips over the nozzles. But I realized they became a bit too smooth sounding. The open nozzles didn’t sound as sharp nor did they lack much in bass. But out of caution, I decided to put on some spare nozzle screens that I had left over from the Blon BL-03 mod I did. I kinda wish I had an unmodded DQ6 to compare. Still, it’s a very pleasant IEM.
These Moondrop grills barely fit on my DQ6. I put Xcessor silicon tips on the DQ6 now and it works really well. A bit wider sound then stock tips with stock grills.

For some reason it seems that IEMs without nozzle grills sound brighter.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #56,471 of 63,930
These Moondrop grills barely fit on my DQ6. I put Xcessor silicon tips on the DQ6 now and it works really well. A bit wider sound then stock tips with stock grills.

For some reason it seems that IEMs without nozzle grills sound brighter.
I feel the same about speakers. When I remove the mesh covering the drivers, the speakers somehow better than when they are covered. I think it's a trick of the brain, though.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #56,472 of 63,930
The only +$100 set that i think is interesting rn is 7hz Timeless bc planar drivers curiosity. I'm also hoping CCA EST be a great budget deal. So different driver technology is the only reason i would buy new toys now (and avoid punish my wallet and consciousness with redundant products)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #56,473 of 63,930
The only +$100 set that i think is interesting rn is 7hz Timeless bc planar drivers curiosity. I'm also hoping CCA EST be a great budget deal. So different driver technology is the only reason i would buy new toys now (and avoid punish my wallet and consciousness with redundant products)
You need a powerful source to drive a planar magnetic driver. It doesn't matter how small it gets, it wants current. Dongles? Forget it.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #56,474 of 63,930
You need a powerful source to drive a planar magnetic driver. It doesn't matter how small it gets, it wants current. Dongles? Forget it.
HiBy R5 Saber will do it if you want a DAP. It'll output just over 1W per channel on balanced at 16Ω. For IEMs, that is a ridiculous amount of power.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #56,475 of 63,930
HiBy R5 Saber will do it if you want a DAP. It'll output just over 1W per channel on balanced at 16Ω. For IEMs, that is a ridiculous amount of power.
1 Watt for an IEM? how thirsty that IEM could be?
BTR5 and S9 Pro with balanced could power up to 200mw, is it not enough?
Sure it scales up with more power but how much it going to need till its "proper"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back