Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #51,136 of 64,121
I try to use lower volumes and started to struggle a bit with CA16 similar to E3000.
I will definitely order ZAX, currently contemplating to wait for cyan becoming available or just go for black
Yeah, I think the ZAX might sit well with you. Right now, I am going about the house just listening to smooth R&B on a Benjie T6 & ZAX at low volumes. Had me thinking "This is really NICE!". Simple, basic yet good details coming through. Bit of an outlier sound sig for me, but enjoyable :)

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #51,137 of 64,121
After reading about people having problems with their paragraph C connectors cracking, I decided to take a look at my ZSN's. One connector had several small fractures and the other crumbled as soon as I removed the cable. I had no other plans last night, so I decided to remove the broken connectors and replace them with mmcx.

WOW!! Nice work!!

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #51,138 of 64,121
IMG_20200920_182239269.jpg

Tonight's listening highlight on the ZAX: November Rain by Guns N' Roses. The drumming is impactful and intense, with the ZAX reproducing each beat with thump and authority. The vocals are dry and composed, managing to find their place without demanding all your attention. The guitars, on the other hand, are very prominent, soaring and creating a sense of height to the soundstage; piano notes have a pleasing shimmer and decay. Subtle cymbal taps and other smaller details are also present and can be picked out if you're listening intently, however the ZAX isn't concerned about making sure you hear each and every detail; it is a balance between musical fun and analytical detail that it attempts to create here, and quite successfully in my opinion.

Overall, the ZAX has a pretty realistic and warm timbre for a hybrid, with little to no BA harshness or lean characteristics. Even weeb music (which I listen to a fair bit of) featuring high-pitched female vocals never manages to throw the ZAX off. Very impressive for ChiFi in general, not to mention KZ in particular :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #51,139 of 64,121

Really love how the ZAX sound with this song. Cymbals sound really good and spacious. Instrument separation is top notch, everything is clear and detailed. KZ has a winner here imho.

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #51,140 of 64,121

And my favorite video to test for soundstage, recorded on a freaking Samsung Galaxy S6 edge lol.
The ZAX sounds absolutely amazing.

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #51,141 of 64,121
On a completely different note (Genre) I listened, late last night to Tomasz Stanko's "New York Quartet" doing the 2 CD set "Wislawa".

Wislawa - an ECM 2 CD set

wislawa.jpg

I have been "studying" this recording since it came out in 2013. This is on the ECM label, which means it received the outstanding (audiophile) studio recording techniques that ECM is quite famous for.

The amount of texture and nuance brought forth by the ZAX, is quite admirable. There are situations where it is just piano and drums, the piano is being played not by the keys on the keyboard, but the pianist is up under the lid of the full grand piano, striking the strings in various ways to generate sounds that are not what you associate with piano.

The ZAX do a nice job in presenting the unusual arrangements and the interactions between the musicians. The drum kit is also played in unusual ways, many subtle strikes on various surfaces other than the drum heads, add to the mystic. The ZAX take you on quite a sonic adventure.

A realization of subtle details, time and space, along with the 'even handed' frequency response of the ZAX rewards the lucky listener.

(( Remove distractions and listen in the dark ))

Cheers, all...

:)

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #51,142 of 64,121

Tonight's listening highlight on the ZAX: November Rain by Guns N' Roses. The drumming is impactful and intense, with the ZAX reproducing each beat with thump and authority. The vocals are dry and composed, managing to find their place without demanding all your attention. The guitars, on the other hand, are very prominent, soaring and creating a sense of height to the soundstage; piano notes have a pleasing shimmer and decay. Subtle cymbal taps and other smaller details are also present and can be picked out if you're listening intently, however the ZAX isn't concerned about making sure you hear each and every detail; it is a balance between musical fun and analytical detail that it attempts to create here, and quite successfully in my opinion.

Overall, the ZAX has a pretty realistic and warm timbre for a hybrid, with little to no BA harshness or lean characteristics. Even weeb music (which I listen to a fair bit of) featuring high-pitched female vocals never manages to throw the ZAX off. Very impressive for ChiFi in general, not to mention KZ in particular :)

Lmao the pendantic verbiage used by some people when reviewing items always cracks me up

An intense sense of fullfilness is conveyed to the ear canals of the subject hahaha

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #51,143 of 64,121
I'm really enjoying my zsx that came today, I got them for £33 next day. They sound like the zs10 Pro but without the harshness on the snaredrums. Smooth and detailed at the same time. I think the bass has a slightly faster leading edge too. They fit my ears wonderfully like the zsr. They have earned a set of extra large tips already, and those aren't easy to come by.

Might be my my new daily driver.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #51,144 of 64,121
Lmao the pendantic verbiage used by some people when reviewing items always cracks me up

Pedantry and verbiage you say? Very well, here's the emotion-free translation:

A famous classic rock song was played on the ZAX. There is a full and lifelike presentation of drums and guitars. Vocals are dry and slightly laid back. Piano notes are textured. High-end details are present but not over-emphasised. A keen listener would notice them. Though hybrid IEMs have often been criticised for their shrillness and artificial tonality relative to single-DD designs within the same price class, there is little evidence of this on the ZAX. It remains controlled even on tracks with a prominent upper-mid focus.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #51,145 of 64,121
Pedantry and verbiage you say? Very well, here's the emotion-free translation:

A famous classic rock song was played on the ZAX. There is a full and lifelike presentation of drums and guitars. Vocals are dry and slightly laid back. Piano notes are textured. High-end details are present but not over-emphasised. A keen listener would notice them. Though hybrid IEMs have often been criticised for their shrillness and artificial tonality relative to single-DD designs within the same price class, there is little evidence of this on the ZAX. It remains controlled even on tracks with a prominent upper-mid focus.

My ZAX sound just like yours @unifutomaki, your descriptions are accurate. If there is anything to critisize, maybe the sub bass is a tad "too polite"?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #51,148 of 64,121

That's a rather... wanting review.

• Eartips are rubbish? Starlines fit me just fine, are supple and pliable, no irritation to my ear canals whatsoever.
  • Cable is rubbish? The new silver cable is pretty decent actually. Sure, some metal hardware wouldn't hurt, but the cable itself is pliable and non-sticky with comfortable ear-hooks.
  • ZAX not worth getting, just go for the T2 Pro Plus (I assume that's what he meant to say, how is the T2 Pro still part of the conversation at this point)? Dude I have both. And they serve entirely different purposes. ZAX is great for subway, street, on-the-go use where the T2 Plus would be a touch bass-light and struggle with isolation. T2 Plus is great for sitting at home in a comfy chair and and chilling out to music.
  • ZAX a side-grade to older KZ models like the (and may I quote) ZSX, CCA C16, CA16, ZS10? Like, the ZS10 Pro with metallic timbre, the ZSX which doesn't fit, the CA16 which has poorer build, again a weird shape, and a TWS style nozzle, and the C16 which isn't even a hybrid?
Eeesh the KZ prejudice sometimes...

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #51,149 of 64,121
That's a rather... wanting review.

• Eartips are rubbish? Starlines fit me just fine, are supple and pliable, no irritation to my ear canals whatsoever.
  • Cable is rubbish? The new silver cable is pretty decent actually. Sure, some metal hardware wouldn't hurt, but the cable itself is pliable and non-sticky with comfortable ear-hooks.
  • ZAX not worth getting, just go for the T2 Pro Plus (I assume that's what he meant to say, how is the T2 Pro still part of the conversation at this point)? Dude I have both. And they serve entirely different purposes. ZAX is great for subway, street, on-the-go use where the T2 Plus would be a touch bass-light and struggle with isolation. T2 Plus is great for sitting at home in a comfy chair and and chilling out to music.
  • ZAX a side-grade to older KZ models like the (and may I quote) ZSX, CCA C16, CA16, ZS10? Like, the ZS10 Pro with metallic timbre, the ZSX which doesn't fit, the CA16 which has poorer build, again a weird shape, and a TWS style nozzle, and the C16 which isn't even a hybrid?
Eeesh the KZ prejudice sometimes...

Right? I can actually understand some points, like the cable, because even the new cable seems to tangle a lot and I would like a chin slider at least, but in my experience KZ Starlines are very decent stock tips, even though I personally don't use them.

As for ZAX not being an upgrade over the ZS10 Pro, all I can say is the CA16 already murders the ZS10 Pro in all technical aspects even though the tuning might be "boring" compared to it, and people say the ZAX is even better than that.

Reviewer definitely went in ready to hate the IEM.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #51,150 of 64,121
Zpolt post the comparison audio of ZAX with CA16,
Yes, not representation of the real thing but at very least it could give you idea on how it might sound.

ZAX bass definitely take a step back compared to full on bass of CA16. maybe it's the semi open back lowering the total amount despite it have bigger dynamic.
The treble is a bit sharp/metallic compared to the more laidback treble of CA16, all in all i could understand why BGGAR prefer CA16 over ZAX.

Still, i want to hear it myself to hear the proper "airiness" of it. ZS7 have proper airiness but i find the overall sound a bit lacking when compared to ZS10 Pro. If ZAX is proper evolution of ZS7 and ZS10 Pro/ZSX, i might take ZAX over CA16. CA16 is nice but at $50+, the ZS3like build is a bit much for me. ZAX won the looks (and maybe fit) for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back