Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #50,851 of 63,928
Thank you for this Slater. I just ordered some!
Yeah, thanks for the link. They seem inexpensive enough, so I'll put them in my cart and give them a try at the end of September. This month is a no go though; since I already bought over $100 worth of iems and cables from their last sale. Thanks for the rec, tho.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #50,852 of 63,928
I find foam tips interesting. While I like building a collection of high quality silicone ear tips, as I think it’s an important part of this hobby, I haven’t been a big fan of foam tips, but I’m starting to like them more now, What’s interesting is that I don’t like the name brand foam tips like Comply and Dekoni. The Dekoni lose their “memory“/slow rebound capability over time, even w/o much use, and I haven’t found either the fit or the sound of various Comply tips good for me. The best foam tips for me are cheap generic tips that I get on Amazon. I’m looking forward to trying these Tennmak tips.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #50,853 of 63,928
I find foam tips interesting. While I like building a collection of high quality silicone ear tips, as I think it’s an important part of this hobby, I haven’t been a big fan of foam tips, but I’m starting to like them more now, What’s interesting is that I don’t like the name brand foam tips like Comply and Dekoni. The Dekoni lose their “memory“/slow rebound capability over time, even w/o much use, and I haven’t found either the fit or the sound of various Comply tips good for me. The best foam tips for me are cheap generic tips that I get on Amazon. I’m looking forward to trying these Tennmak tips.

Well, I can’t speak for the long term characteristics of these tips, because I haven’t had them for months. But so far they have been awesome.

Pretty much all foam breaks down eventually. I have old sponge earpads that just disintegrate into dust in my hands. But these Tennmak tips are cheap enough that if I need to buy a new set every year because they lose their rebound, it’s no big deal.

We’ll see how well they hold up long term.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #50,854 of 63,928
On the Tennmak Ultra strong, try both the 4.5 mm & the 4.9 mm. That .4 mm difference (of inner diameter) really makes a difference.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #50,855 of 63,928
On the Tennmak Ultra strong, try both the 4.5 mm & the 4.9 mm. That .4 mm difference (of inner diameter) really makes a difference.

I only went with the 4.5mm. One, because I wanted to try them out first. And 2, because I figured it would stretch and fit a little bit tighter on my 5mm nozzles.

Now that I know I like the tips, I am going to order a pack of 4.9mm. I’m also going to order a S size. The reason is that some people use foams like silicone tips, where they just insert them into their ear without squishing them. I originally bought M, which is the size I usually use. And they fit fine when I squish them and let them expand. But I’m curious to try S to see how well they work by just sticking them in without squishing them.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #50,856 of 63,928
I only went with the 4.5mm. One, because I wanted to try them out first. And 2, because I figured it would stretch and fit a little bit tighter on my 5mm nozzles.

Now that I know I like the tips, I am going to order a pack of 4.9mm. I’m also going to order a S size. The reason is that some people use foams like silicone tips, where they just insert them into their ear without squishing them. I originally bought M, which is the size I usually use. And they fit fine when I squish them and let them expand. But I’m curious to try S to see how well they work by just sticking them in without squishing them.

Yah I don't squish my medium TRN foam tips too. The large ones I just avoid. Plus, does squishing foam tips affect the sound?

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #50,857 of 63,928
Plus, does squishing foam tips affect the sound?

No, you only squish them to insert them. Then they expand back out and conform to your ear.

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #50,860 of 63,928
It’s 0.03mm difference, not 0.30mm.

For comparison, an average human hair is 0.06mm thickness, and an average piece of cheapy thin plain office copier paper is 0.05mm.

So the 0.03mm we’re talking about is a very, very small difference. Some would even say it’s a negligible difference.

That’s why I believe more and more that the relatively small % of issues are caused by heat damage from the soldering process during manufacturing.

Oops my bad! Thanks for the info! I failed maths :)
So basically I should actually avoid the exact .75 cables (I almost bought one) and go for a .78 -
All I really want from it is a tangle free experience lol

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #50,861 of 63,928

I am so split on foam tips. On the one hand, Comply tips are among the rare tips that don't hurt my ears. On the other hand, they just fall apart after a month. I just got my order of Mandarine Symbios, which apparently just don't come in a size small enough for my dainty little ear channels. They isolate well and do sound pretty good - but they're just a BIT too big to go all the way in without being painful - which gets really bad on the AS16s with their giant nozzle.

I'll try those Tennmak ones. At least they come in a more appropriate quantity compared to Comply.

As for aftermarket tips, my vote in general so far goes towards Spinfits.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #50,863 of 63,928
Looking forward to that! The C10 Pro are freaking gorgeous and if they sound at least as good as the ZS10 Pro they should be an easy recommendation in the price range.
Agreed and that's exactly why I bought them. I like the color combo, the driver layout looks similar to ZS10 PRO; so I figured they would either sound the same as the ZS10 PRO or maybe just a tad different. Looking forward to get my set, for sure.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #50,865 of 63,928
My ZAX shipped roughly a day after ordering. Dang fast! I mean, it's still gonna be stuck in the spider web of shipping for like 2 months, but I'm still quite chuffed.
My CCA C10 PRO also shipped less than 8 hours after I ordered it. Got a message today from Aliexpress saying that it cleared customs (although it's ambiguous in that it never tells you whose customs it cleared...guessing it's on it's way out of China). There's no way that it can already be in Canada, when I only placed the order 6 days ago. But hey, it bodes well for quick delivery. Hopefully, it will show up early next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back