Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #50,701 of 63,917
High chance they are only shell design with another layer full blocking the driver not real vents but if that is real semi open design, count me in

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #50,702 of 63,917
Is the new DD is the same with Z1 ? if yes they are very capable driver, just in Z1 they tuned sooooo vshape

Agree with this. Still amazed by the Z1 after months of owning it. Previously i felt like it is a very capable driver, but detail retrieval wasn't amazing. But I was comparing it to like wired options that I have like the ER4XR. It is still above average for TWS. Also that was just on default EQ which i most just use while jogging and want a bit more oomph. But otherwise most of the time for daily use or easier jogs, i have it on an EQ that looks something like this, and with this EQ it is extremely enjoyable for me. Sounds a bit more transparent, but still fun. Though for some that upper mids might probably still be a bit much since i tend it prefer slightly elevated. These are probably my most used audio gear alongside some earbuds that I have for home use. CCA CX10 went back in the box after I was done with them. Don't even use the Haylou GT1 Plus much anymore after I got these. The fit for jogging is one of the better ones I've used just behind the creative outlier air. Comfortable, minimal thumping sound from footsteps, and the loud and fun sound. The only thing is of course just the abysmal battery life. when new it was 2 hours of use. now it's more 1-1.5hours at most. But they are also pretty cheap these days. on online shopping sites here in SG they are going for like 35SGD, which is around 25USD. If by the time my Z1 dies and they still don't have a good replacement i might just grab another one just for jogging. So if the EDX is using the same driver (but hopefully with better tuning), it could be great if it's priced cheap enough. Though not sure if i would get one. Don't particularly like using IEMs that are worn over ear most of the time as the ear hooks are a hassle to deal with for me since I wear glasses with ear hooks already. :/

KCa9z9Q.jpg

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #50,703 of 63,917
Agree with this. Still amazed by the Z1 after months of owning it. Previously i felt like it is a very capable driver, but detail retrieval wasn't amazing. But I was comparing it to like wired options that I have like the ER4XR. It is still above average for TWS. Also that was just on default EQ which i most just use while jogging and want a bit more oomph. But otherwise most of the time for daily use or easier jogs, i have it on an EQ that looks something like this, and with this EQ it is extremely enjoyable for me. Sounds a bit more transparent, but still fun. Though for some that upper mids might probably still be a bit much since i tend it prefer slightly elevated. These are probably my most used audio gear alongside some earbuds that I have for home use. CCA CX10 went back in the box after I was done with them. Don't even use the Haylou GT1 Plus much anymore after I got these. The fit for jogging is one of the better ones I've used just behind the creative outlier air. Comfortable, minimal thumping sound from footsteps, and the loud and fun sound. The only thing is of course just the abysmal battery life. when new it was 2 hours of use. now it's more 1-1.5hours at most. But they are also pretty cheap these days. on online shopping sites here in SG they are going for like 35SGD, which is around 25USD. If by the time my Z1 dies and they still don't have a good replacement i might just grab another one just for jogging. So if the EDX is using the same driver (but hopefully with better tuning), it could be great if it's priced cheap enough. Though not sure if i would get one. Don't particularly like using IEMs that are worn over ear most of the time as the ear hooks are a hassle to deal with for me since I wear glasses with ear hooks already. :/

KCa9z9Q.jpg

I'lI share you my EQ later (i did mod too actually) and i was EQing with IEC711 coupler clone measurement, trial and error method. They sounded great now.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #50,704 of 63,917
When you guys are talking about how much you like the sound of the Z1, are you talking about the dynamic version of the Z1, or the hybrid version? I see 2 different ones listed on Aliexpress.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #50,705 of 63,917
When you guys are talking about how much you like the sound of the Z1, are you talking about the dynamic version of the Z1, or the hybrid version? I see 2 different ones listed on Aliexpress.

I think some sellers are just lumping them together with the S1 and S1D which is hybrid and single DD respectively. AFAIK Z1 only has a single DD version?

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #50,706 of 63,917
I think some sellers are just lumping them together with the S1 and S1D which is hybrid and single DD respectively. AFAIK Z1 only has a single DD version?

Right Z1 is 1 driver only, 10mm XUN DD. That can be possibly same DD used in ZST X and ZSN Pro X (X stands for XUN?)

Like @axhng said, seller sometimes put Z1 together with S1 (hybrid 1 6mmDD +1BA) and S1D (single 6mm DD not XUN tech) and they have 1 page altogether, they put Z1 as an option like color option, sure make confusion here.

Edit:
@Slater in case you misinterpreted, i don't like the Z1 tuning, too v shaped (ill post the FR graph later), but i hear potential with the driver (fast, tight, move a lot of air, dynamic, have very good technicalities including very good wide soundstage and nice imaging) but they need to "total retune"

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #50,707 of 63,917
KZ ZAX.png

Another upcoming release and I have no further info on it but I presume it is related to the CCA CA16
Wow - thanks for the heads up @TheVortex - this promo picture isn't even on the KZ Facebook page yet!
I follow your reviews :)
What with all the hype over the CCA CA16's I'm sure I'm not the only one eager to see how they perform in comparison.
This is the one I'm eager to hear about in amongst all the other recent KZ releases.
Likely the same driver spec as CA16.
Last point of reference is ZSX + C12 - CCA pushed the highs a little more and KZ was more scooped mids.
CCA did more mellow treble on CA16
It's going to be super interesting to learn how KZ tune these...
My guess says they will also feature tame highs but with a slight elevation in the low end ala ZSX over C12.
Interested to hear others ZAX sound signature predictions!

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #50,709 of 63,917
FR by DynamicEars - KZ Z1 default vs mod & EQ.jpg

AS promised, this is the FR of KZ Z1, but the method a bit different from my usual measurement because this is TWS so a bit hassle if i need to unpair, and repairing with my PC and then using different EQ with my phone, so this done with TWS connected to my LG V40, run pink noise instead of sine sweep, result isnt as smooth as using sine sweep, so smoothen out with ERB, accuracy maybe lower than my normal measurement but we still get the roughly big picture. Done on IEC711 coupler clone with apple dongle and measure with REW, same rig with Crin's.

Red line on FR is KZ Z1 default tuning, its very V shaped as I said earlier, very obvious V shape even from the very start i plugged them into my ears, and that sub bass is shaking your head with 10mm DD XUN tuned with +14db on sub bass level, but mind that 6khz drill with +15db attack.
Short story, the Z1 is very very V shaped IEM.

So I did simple mod, they dont have any dampers behind the grill, i just take out the grill put in soft sponge (black color) as I did on BLON thread, just a little cut there roughly 5mm length and EQ them. I did several EQing and measured them, and finally found this setting to be most suited me. I would like to get 3-4khz up a little bit but EQ band wont allow me to, so currently this is my best EQ setting and the result is there with yellow line

Here my EQ from my LG V40 setting if you want to try but bear in mind, im using soft density sponge mod to tame the high mid peaks there so they become smoother.
Z1 EQ setting by DynamicEars.jpg

Does it sounded nice now? yes, with their capable driver, the driver is fast, with very good technicalities, wide soundstage, good details (not their strength), very good imaging. At least a little step up from BL-03 in terms of technicalities. And what i like is they push a lot of air, i can feel it, yet they are fast in bass.

Would I recommend them? NO, as TWS they have bad batt life, not so good connection in range (not on and off), decreasing batt life in time by user reviews (I have yet to test the batt life), occasional hiccups when batt goes low, and bad tuning at start unless you want to do a little mod and EQ them. OH yeah, edited : the hiss.. its pretty bad.
Suggestion to KZ, to improve the tech side, then retune them. The driver has great potential.

IMG-20200823-WA0014~2.jpg
note : using xelastec tips because a bit difficult to find great seal eartips that can fit with the case

edit : typo

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #50,710 of 63,917
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #50,711 of 63,917
ZS10 Pro army unite, they sound so good. I hadn't listened to them in months.
My first pair of proper audio gear! ****ing love them. Only thing that bothers me is a slight lack of treble sparkle and the tiny soundstage, but super capable otherwise.
The right one just HAD to die before the CA16 arrive, though. It might be the cable. I hope it is.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #50,712 of 63,917
i like the ZS10 Pro sound so much, all this talk about it makes me really considering to repurchase it

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #50,715 of 63,917
Been out the game for a while but picked up the Zs10 Pro yesterday, like I need more iems, these things aren't what I was expecting
Quite shrill on the treble and very fatiguing no matter what tips I used.
Also found they hurt after a short period of time, not a fan of this new pointy design.
Still not a match for my As10, or the original Zs10 actually.
Have a pair of the zsn pro x coming tomorrow in gold. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back