Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 30, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #44,716 of 63,882
You have convinced me! I have just ordered the ED9 off Ali Ex. Can you tell me what the two filters do?
Thanks for the inspiration for this evening’s listening session. Boy, has been a while since I opened that terrible plastic case! So glad KZ changed to cardboard.

776715E5-ABA2-4316-A017-5A69F79CB369.jpeg

May 30, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #44,717 of 63,882
Shiny gold filter = v shape with hard hitting low end

Dull brass filter = more balanced sound with enhanced treble
Thanks. I'll know what to expect!

May 30, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #44,718 of 63,882
Well on the original model you will or should find the dull gold one to be smoother and the shiny brass one may be just a little bright for you and I'd suggest a warm player or maybe some EQ reduction of the top end but with that said at low volumes you'll get gobs of detail out of the brass filter. Another trick is the foam mod in the nozzle:wink: Hope you like them:beerchug: On the newer model you'll hear less of both if that makes since!

By the way did you order the Chrome or Black version?
What is the difference between the "original" model and the new one, and how do I know which one I have?

May 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #44,719 of 63,882
Thanks! I ordered the chrome version. From what is say I will probably try the dull gold filter first then try the shiny one. I'm not really a fan of filters after having two Trinity Audio IEMs but I am remaining open minded!

Well I'd say most ED9 owners especially those who are found stick with one or the other filter once you dial them in with tips, source and possible foam mod. I myself prefer the dull gold filter, large Auvio tips and generally a warmer source at decent listening levels:beerchug:

As far as old and new I only have the original models, even my comment on less on both is based on what I've read in the past out here, @B9Scrambler would be the best authority on the two IMO:wink:

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #44,720 of 63,882
Get a Sony MH755 and an aux extension.
They are badass i showed a friend of mine the t2 whit complys occ cable and es 100. He is a non audiophile doesent now anything about iems. And he says mine are better and cost 8 dollars. He put some mh755 out jacked into his phone and ler me listen i was blown away they where really better.

But where to find orginal ones. Every offer says "orignal 100% no fake" delivered from china

May 30, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #44,721 of 63,882
I was late to the party. I only discovered this place after my wife said she would buy me a new MP3 Player for my birthday and the research project started. That was around the date i joined here about two weeks ago.

Welcome to HeadFi friend!

Have you decided on a player yet?

May 30, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #44,723 of 63,882
In lieu of the dead ZSN (yeah, there was no reviving that DD) and the as-of-yet unarrived ZSN Pro to review, I've pulled the ED16 out of their hidey-hole and am enjoying just working through some of the Tidal Masters via UAPP.

Quick note for those who go down the UAPP rabbit-hole: UAPP itself will do the MQA "decode" if you purchase the upgrade. It's up to your DAC to do the final unfolding, so some devices won't be capable. Apparently LG phones since the V30 can do it...my OnePlus 6 might be doing it (I usually have the screen off and don't pay attention). I just know my ears are feeding back to me that the stigma of the OP6's headphone out being subpar is ill-placed. I'm really digging what I'm hearing.

Thanks Slater!

I certainly have, i got a HiBy R6 for my birthday today. The JCally balanced cable arrived today too. Just waiting on the KZ IEMs now.

Excellent choice! If I had to replace my Opus#1, that'd be the DAP I chose...unless I won the lottery, in which case it'd be the Cayin N8. Mmmm tubes.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #44,724 of 63,882
They are badass i showed a friend of mine the t2 whit complys occ cable and es 100. He is a non audiophile doesent now anything about iems. And he says mine are better and cost 8 dollars. He put some mh755 out jacked into his phone and ler me listen i was blown away they where really better.

But where to find orginal ones. Every offer says "orignal 100% no fake" delivered from china

There’s a number of eBay sellers that sell legit ones.

Regardless of who you buy them from, it only takes a second to open them up and verify whether they’re real or fake.

I’ll see if I can dig up the info for you :)

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #44,725 of 63,882
In lieu of the dead ZSN (yeah, there was no reviving that DD)...

You could always reuse the shells and do a driver transplant (from something else or buy new dynamic drivers from Aliexpress).

May 30, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #44,726 of 63,882

I have bought many pairs of mh755 from this US seller and so far all original.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-So...s-Earphones-For-SBH20-iPod-MP3/361884429431?h

May 30, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #44,727 of 63,882
You could always reuse the shells and do a driver transplant (from something else or buy new dynamic drivers from Aliexpress).
Damnit...should have thought of that before I tossed 'em. Oh well.

FWIW, Songs from the Big Chair is sounding mighty fine on the ED16 today. No complaints.

May 30, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #44,730 of 63,882
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back