Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 28, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #44,597 of 63,916
ZST is definitely not a KZ fail. It's very listenable and I recall enjoying them a lot when they first came out. The ED12 was a true KZ fail.

I have the lipped version of the ZS6 and I don't like it nearly as much as the old "piercing highs" version. It's definitely changed. The old one felt much more airy, more open, and had the best soundstage of any KZ I've had. If I could actually find an old version somewhere, I'd buy it asap.

Agreed, on the ZST.

KZ has improved leaps and bounds since the ZST but I don't mind popping it in every now and then, even if just to compare it with newer models.

I use the comfortable single dynamic ED12 for sleeping because I've ruined balanced armatures in several of my KZ's. A perfect seal (for me) often results in moisture build up killing the BA so sleeping with BA's is a no go for me. The ED12 is the most comfortable overnighter (without a balanced armature) for me. At extremely low volumes the bass and midrange come through while the treble is kept at bay so hearing damage is basically at nought.

HTB19rCLNXXXXXaFaXXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

I've actually been thinking about picking up a ZS3E or two for sleeping purposes since it's a single dynamic that will likely seal well for me like the ZS3 does.

Also, periodically I am reading on this that the ZS7 and ZS10 Pro sound similar but I can't seem to get there looking at KZ's promotional graphs. Interested in your feedback on the matter since you own both. I own the 10Pro but haven't yet obtained the ZS7.

10Pro
HTB1bT9pQNjaK1RjSZFAq6zdLFXal.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

ZS7
HTB1xPjbaifrK1RjSspbq6A4pFXaq.jpg_640x640q90-1.jpg

KHighly, B9, Loomis, Slater, Pod, etc., at your convenience please share your thoughts on the ZS7 vs 10Pro.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #44,598 of 63,916
But what if I want red & metal? :wink:

And ... never did I think that I would ever and immediately understand the term 'nozzle lip' :D

If you really want a red ZS6, then you have 2 options:

1. Find a used one or
2. Find a seller that has old stock.

#2 shouldn’t be too terribly difficult. If it were me, I would contact sellers and ask them to remove the ear tip and examine the nozzle. If it has NO lip on the nozzle, then it’s definitely the v1.

If it has a nozzle lip, there’s a 50/50 chance of it being one or the other. So it would be your call.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #44,599 of 63,916
Don't want to risk any of my classic KZ's (HDS3, ED9, ATR, ED3 "Perfection", etc.) for sleeping. The ZS3E with its detachable cable seems the best solution.

HTB1hROWXPvuK1Rjy0Faq6x2aVXak.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Actually, just pulled up B9's comparison from his review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zs10-pro.23715/

When there was mention of measurements over on Head-fi comparing the ZS10 Pro and ZS7 that showed they were nearly identical, I was pretty surprised. That said, after spending a fair bit of time comparing the two I can certainly hear how similar they really are, minus some shifts in emphasis in certain areas. My observations have the ZS10 Pro displaying more upper treble energy, less midbass, and a slightly more forward but thinner midrange. Timbre, tonality, detail, clarity, texturing, etc. are all quite similar. The ZS10 Pro also feels like it has a smaller sound stage with more accurate imaging and similarly good layering and separation. Overall these two are both top tier KZs. If you like a brighter, more traditional KZ sound but with bass reigned in, the ZS10 Pro is the one for you. If you prefer something a little warmer, bassier, and less treble heavy, the ZS7 is a great pick. I feel they perform more or less at the same level.

The material phrase for me is "I feel they perform more or less at the same level."

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #44,600 of 63,916
That's scandalous. Better than the ZS7???
The ZS7 has become my favorite KZ. I find it very detailed top to bottom with excellent imaging and a balanced sound. I’ve been listening for a couple of weeks and it’s one of the better items in my collection in my opinion. :)

May 28, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #44,601 of 63,916
Have a review sample of the ZSN Pro (yeah, I know, late to the party here) coming in. Combining that with a cross-country move means that I've been pretty much exclusively using my purple ZSN or Massdrop HD6XX for listening. I've also discovered UAPP for Android and wow...umm...color me massively impressed. Assuming the ZSN Pro does, in fact, tidy up a couple of the little quibs of its standard cousin, I should be a very happy camper.

Also, UAPP + Tidal = do I really need my DAP anymore?

May 28, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #44,602 of 63,916
Have a review sample of the ZSN Pro (yeah, I know, late to the party here) coming in. Combining that with a cross-country move means that I've been pretty much exclusively using my purple ZSN or Massdrop HD6XX for listening. I've also discovered UAPP for Android and wow...umm...color me massively impressed. Assuming the ZSN Pro does, in fact, tidy up a couple of the little quibs of its standard cousin, I should be a very happy camper.

Also, UAPP + Tidal = do I really need my DAP anymore?

Wow, thanks for the tip. I already had Tidal and some Google Play credits. Time to try out the headphone jack on the Pixel 3a xl.

May 28, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #44,603 of 63,916
Wow, thanks for the tip. I already had Tidal and some Google Play credits. Time to try out the headphone jack on the Pixel 3a xl.
I think you're going to dig the software MQA unfolding UAPP can do with Tidal as well. So far, it's been a relative breeze to use. Settings aren't nearly as easy to get lost in compared to something like Poweramp.

May 28, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #44,605 of 63,916
Be aware, not all lipped versions are the ZS6 v2. I have a grey set that’s the v1.

Like you, I don’t like the v2 at all. In trying to tone down the treble, KZ just made it distant and dark and closed in sounding.

I guess one trick you can use if you want the sound the ZS6 v1 is to just buy a ZS5. The current ZS5 be a ZS5 v2, which is basically a ZS6 v1 in plastic shell with a much lower cost.

Heck, maybe there's a fourth or even more versions out there ... who knows? All I can say is that my newer ZS6s, with less 'piercing' treble sound just as spacious and clear as my older, lipped gray copy and not in any way dark or distant.

May 28, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #44,606 of 63,916
I think you're going to dig the software MQA unfolding UAPP can do with Tidal as well. So far, it's been a relative breeze to use. Settings aren't nearly as easy to get lost in compared to something like Poweramp.

Other than buying the MQA addon, Tidal was a breeze to get listening quickly. Are there any setting you changed? Thanks

May 28, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #44,607 of 63,916
I am tempted to try out the kz zs10 pro but i got no need for them this audiophilia creeps up on me

May 28, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #44,608 of 63,916
Other than buying the MQA addon, Tidal was a breeze to get listening quickly. Are there any setting you changed? Thanks
Huh...that's weird. It didn't ask me to purchase the MQA add-on the first couple tracks it played, but finally came up after about an hour or so of playback. Got that taken care of, at least.

Things I'm pretty sure I adjusted:
1. Internal Audio Driver - HiRes Direct Driver
2. MQA - Left "Show MQA playback information" checked
3. Internal HiRes audio > Bit perfect mode - When Possible (required for MQA, according to UAPP's website)
4. Volume > Volume Steps - 100 (I set it this way for a more granular control of volume)

Everything else I'm pretty sure I just left as is. I also (semi-foolishly) purchased the Toneboosters PEQ and Morph-It add-ons, which are rendered moot the second you opt into bit-perfect playback, but I just see that as money going to the developer anyway. They definitely earned it. Morph-It is pretty fun, anyway. Worth playing around with, imo.

May 28, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #44,609 of 63,916
[..]
Also, periodically I am reading on this that the ZS7 and ZS10 Pro sound similar but I can't seem to get there looking at KZ's promotional graphs. Interested in your feedback on the matter since you own both. I own the 10Pro but haven't yet obtained the ZS7.

10Pro

ZS7

KHighly, B9, Loomis, Slater, Pod, etc., at your convenience please share your thoughts on the ZS7 vs 10Pro.

Much appreciated.
The ZS10 Pro graph might be somewhat realistic, but the ZS7 promotional picture doesn't look like it's meant to be looked as a graph - it's just a promotional illustration.

If you want actual comparable measurements, ThePhonograph has measured both:
http://www.thephonograph.net/kz-zs7-review/
http://www.thephonograph.net/kz-zs10-pro-review/
They do look similar other than the large treble roll-off of the ZS7.

May 28, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #44,610 of 63,916

Users who are viewing this thread

Back