Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #27,271 of 63,966
Amazon.com USA has them for $15.99 but not sure if the Canadian brand has but it might be worth looking.
Just now on GB for 21 dollars in the flash sale. All three colors.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #27,272 of 63,966
NoooOOOOO!!! No kill for ATE !!! They are great single dynamic!!!

Just new DD lineup with graphene driver would be ok.... and long live the ATE !

They should just update ATE shells design with something similar as my FF-mod and KZ fans would have very close (~97-98%) sound to ZS5v1 (in right conditions) with half of ZS5v2 price :wink:

;P

No, I'm not saying to kill it at all. I'm saying KZ seemed to have killed every line but the ZS.

I'm saying to evolve the AT line with a new model - they did ATE, ATE-S, then ATR...then dead. Just like they've had nothing new for ED, HDS, etc.

The ATx shell is perfect for a removable cable option (ie MMCx), and update the driver to graphene or beryllium. And yes, add rear vents (even like the ZS6) if the tuning works with the new driver.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #27,273 of 63,966
After a year of usage i decided to do Slater mod on my ZST. I also take off the memory wire of the cable. Well, i think that they got some juice and will Still be rocking for some time. I Will order a upgrade cable.

What i think that i'm hearing after the mod: The Bass os a little bit elevated, wich i did'nt think It was necessary. The mids are way more present, i think and the treble continues to be very clear. Overrall the sound is Warmer, but keeping the Clarity. I did'nt liked the bump in the Bass tho. Maybe this bump together with the mids makes the music sound too much artificial.

If i'm happy with the mod ? YES. I got a new iem. Just eq the Bass down a little bit and we are done.

You talking about the foam mod for the ZST?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1167#post-13480650

That only affects the BA driver - it shouldn't do anything to bass whatsoever.

Partially inserted:
partially inserted.jpg

Fullly inserted:
fully inserted.jpg

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #27,274 of 63,966
I think he ment that relative bass level increased when he tamed the treble.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #27,275 of 63,966

Yes, that mod. Well, it's my hearing perception. I certainly hear the Bass more proeminent. But i'm no expert. So take a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #27,276 of 63,966
Thanks for the reply. Yeah twas a bit cruel I get. Just that I keep hearing about how wonderful they are from people. And in their defense I guess they sound better than the complete garbage that comes free with so many products. But they really aren't a good sounding product.

I asked because of just that, how good they look when I went looking for more info about them.

And also to be politically correct for the thread… KZ has tried a few different designs for different purposes. How do we suggest to them to try making a wood bodied IEM?

Something other than bamboo please. I just never got into the ED7. It just looks cheap and ugly.

Need something nice looking, like cocobolo, walnut, sapele, ebony, etc

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #27,278 of 63,966

Yes, that mod. Well, it's my hearing perception. I certainly hear the Bass more proeminent. But i'm no expert. So take a grain of salt.

OK, I get what you mean. You're hearing less of the sharp treble, which tweaks the overall balance of the tri-band, thus making the bass (and midrange) more prominent.

If you did this foam mod (that someone posted for the ZS6) - where a large piece of foam gets folded over in the WHOLE NOZZLE - then that will definitely increase (and muddy) the bass. Like this:

foam mod - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #27,279 of 63,966
After seeing some of Coil's immaculate shell work I always thought a wooden bodied ED9 would look sweet, sort of like a shell made out of No. 2 pencil! That is what the ED9 shape has always reminded me of:beerchug:

Agreed.

What I'd love to see from KZ:

1) a line of wooden IEMs with more refined offerings of what they've done in the past.
a - ATE
b - ATR
c - ED9
d- EDR2
e - HDS3
f - HDS1

OR

2) a line of IEMs that use porcelain ZS3 housings (similar to Rock Zircon material) with more refined offerings of what they've done in the past.
The ZS3 housing is so comfortable (for many) that it's a no-brainer to offer more sound signatures and just vary the colors for the model, as Campfire Audio has done with their Jupiter, Andromeda, etc..
a - midnight blue ZS3 (refined ATE)
b - black cherry ZS3 (refined ATR)
c - amber ZS3 (refined ED9)
d- white ZS3 (refined EDR2)
e - silver ZS3 (refined HDS3)
f - bronze ZS3 (refined HDS1)

They could even make a smaller housing for those with smaller ears.

One could argue "why rehash where they've already been?", but I would argue that the best results come from small EQ adjustments off of the waterline. The greater the distance from the waterline, the more unnatural the sound. Most of KZ's earlier offerings (listed above) are different sound signatures based on slight variations up and down the frequency ranges. The aforementioned models were successful for a reason.

KZ could now take those sound signatures and offer the following:
*better resolution
*better clarity
*better separation
*better imaging (KZ's imaging is currently better than most in the budget-fi arena)

In short, more refined.

In addition, sound signatures that would cater to the treble sensitive would be well received.

Sure, KZ can seek out more sound signatures, but we know that the aforementioned ones work.

a - forward midrange, rolled treble (ATE)
b - very mild "V" (ATR) [ZS5i depending on who you ask)
c - more pronounced "V", lots of air (ED9)
d- relatively neutral (EDR2)
e - more pronounced "U", lots of air (HDS3)
f - very mild inverted "V" (HDS1)
g - mild "W" (ED10) [ZS6 depending on who you ask)

As I stated in my first post, if KZ kills off the plastic ZS5(ii) and offers a ZS7(?) with the ZS5(i) sound signature, they could take advantage of the ZS6 aluminum housing and just delete the three face vents. They can find a way to mimic the ZS5(i) sound signature (including crossovers this time) by employing dampening agents.

I prefer the ZS6 to my ZS5 (i), but the ZS5 (i) sound signature appeals to a great many people, just as the ATE does. The ATE is not MY top choice, but it's one of KZ's top sellers for a reason. It's nirvana for a lot of people.

At any rate, it's not rocket science and they don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Finally, I'd like to see KZ branch out, perhaps into planar magnetic in-ears the way Monoprice has. It could prove to be a successful endeavor for them and another huge benefit for us

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #27,281 of 63,966
Jan 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #27,283 of 63,966
Stock tips... the starlines.

No mods... I am not a modder .

Happy with them exactly as they are.

+1, using stock starlines on both my pairs, and love them. I am not overly treble sensitive, although my **** XBA 6in1's are too hot for me. There is an unnatural sizzle to them for cymbals, etc. that is annoying. Still trying different tips with them, but they do not get much ear time...

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #27,284 of 63,966
+1, using stock starlines on both my pairs, and love them. I am not overly treble sensitive, although my **** XBA 6in1's are too hot for me. There is an unnatural sizzle to them for cymbals, etc. that is annoying. Still trying different tips with them, but they do not get much ear time...

Same. However they do sound slightly better with wide bore tips...If only they could stay on.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #27,285 of 63,966
Ooh, never tried the 6in1's but I sure love my 4in1's:wink: I'm 4 sure not treble sensitive:thumbsup: The 6in1 is such a departure from the 4in1 design, of course being a direct copy of the Sony XB series it's a no wonder:rolling_eyes: I guess like the old saying goes copying is the highest form of flattery unless you end up in court:open_mouth: LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back