Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 22, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #25,411 of 63,915
The biggest surprise i got out of KZ so far ? plugged the BT adaptor in to my Trinity Audio phantom masters 4, sounds good, actually sounds brilliant.

Only issue is that the BT adaptor lags like hell, sound is almost a second after the video. but for simple listening is great.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #25,412 of 63,915
As evidenced in @Slater 's reply above:rolling_eyes: I knew it was an HDS model but since I have the 1 I was thinking 1 and lack of total recall missed the HDS2 (Slater the HDS2 was the most disappointing KZ for me to date or course we know everyone's mileage is different), thought your shortening mod was neat but I would not have wasted my time on that thing:thinking: @Cruelhand Luke , guess I am old as my oldest son will be 39 in Feb. "Ain't Life Grand" Nice to see a young man appreciating Mr. Wells. One of the most recognizable voices in cinema for me:wink:

@loomisjohnson It is my opinion that KZ's attention to bass period is why they have such a strong following of course price also is in that equation:beerchug:
I was just giving you a hard time, I'm not THAT young myself...I remember seeing those commercials as a kid and wondering who that tubby old wino was....I later came to appreciate his work and actually felt sorry for him that his career ended like that.

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #25,413 of 63,915
:beerchug:
I was just giving you a hard time, I'm not THAT young myself...I remember seeing those commercials as a kid and wondering who that tubby old wino was....I later came to appreciate his work and actually felt sorry for him that his career ended like that.

Heck I knew you were @Cruelhand Luke and it's true but Orson had so many great quotes as well. One of my favorites to this day is "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone."
By the way I'm also a Paul Newman fan and meant to tell you before I dig your handle there, Capt. and Boss could not break Luke which made him my kind of rebel! Such a great movie and of course Paul was in so many good ones, then George Kennedy and Lou Antonio, Harry Dean Stanton and Ralph Waite before the Walton's:wink: Rosenburg knocked it out of the park with Coolhand
a it's star studded cast

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #25,414 of 63,915
:beerchug:

Heck I knew you were @Cruelhand Luke and it's true but Orson had so many great quotes as well. One of my favorites to this day is "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone."
By the way I'm also a Paul Newman fan and meant to tell you before I dig your handle there, Capt. and Boss could not break Luke which made him my kind of rebel! Such a great movie and of course Paul was in so many good ones, then George Kennedy and Lou Antonio, Harry Dean Stanton and Ralph Waite before the Walton's:wink: Rosenburg knocked it out of the park with Coolhand
a it's star studded cast
I assume that my handle gives away my age somewhat...the first time I saw it I was home sick from school when I was like 9 or 10....clearly it made an impression on me. I've been a fan of Newman's life (not just his movies) ever since.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #25,415 of 63,915
holy smokes you gotta be old to make that reference. ( I'M not old, I get it because I'm an Orson Welles fan. :wink: )

I get it because I am fortunate enough to live in Northern California, .........and oh yeah, I'm old!

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #25,416 of 63,915
As evidenced in @Slater 's reply above:rolling_eyes: I knew it was an HDS model but since I have the 1 I was thinking 1 and lack of total recall missed the HDS2 (Slater the HDS2 was the most disappointing KZ for me to date or course we know everyone's mileage is different), thought your shortening mod was neat but I would not have wasted my time on that thing:thinking:

@loomisjohnson It is my opinion that KZ's attention to bass period is why they have such a strong following of course price also is in that equation:beerchug:

In stock form the HDS2 were a big let down (primarily due to the tips). But with tip rolling I found they become quite respectable, especially given the fact that they could at one point be had for $3-$4.

Which, as you pointed out, the ridiculous prices become a big factor in explaining KZ's overall perceived value. It's easy to forgive shortcomings in something that costs the same as a decent cup of coffee. I think this is one of the driving factors in converting hordes of people to become KZ fans. If I had paid $60 for the HDS2, I would have been quite upset.

The HDS3 is definitely the best of the bunch though, although it's not perfect sompared to many other offerings. I'd personally love to see what can be done with an HDS4.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #25,417 of 63,915
I assume that my handle gives away my age somewhat...the first time I saw it I was home sick from school when I was like 9 or 10....clearly it made an impression on me. I've been a fan of Newman's life (not just his movies) ever since.

I get it because I am fortunate enough to live in Northern California, .........and oh yeah, I'm old!

Ah, the ads of yesteryear.

Who remembers "What's the word? Thunderbird! What's the price? A dollar twice!"

Or this gem:

And to keep this on topic, anyone else heard any more news on the ZSR or ZSR Pro? Last I heard, the dealer (Hill Audio) said on their Facebook (or was it Instagram) that there was a delay with the ZSR:

"Waiting for new KZ launches? Probably gotta be more patient for it then ... ZS4 and ZSR will probably be long still, month end or early November will likely be the new expected launch date."

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #25,418 of 63,915
Ah, the ads of yesteryear.

Who remembers "What's the word? Thunderbird! What's the price? A dollar twice!"

Or this gem:

And to keep this on topic, anyone else heard any more news on the ZSR or ZSR Pro? Last I heard, the dealer (Hill Audio) said on their Facebook (or was it Instagram) that there was a delay with the ZSR:

"Waiting for new KZ launches? Probably gotta be more patient for it then ... ZS4 and ZSR will probably be long still, month end or early November will likely be the new expected launch date."

ZSR was supposed to be out last febuary.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #25,419 of 63,915
ZSR was supposed to be out last febuary.

I think that's just when the original "ZSR Pro" packaging photo was leaked. I don't ever remember seeing a definitive release date back then (unless I missed that).

KZ has always impressed me about how tight-lipped they remain with pretty much everything they have in development. We usually only hear about them right before they are ready to ship (ie just before the pre-order stage).

ZSR Pro.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #25,420 of 63,915
OMG Slater, you are killin me Great references! But just to stay on topic, you know folks, KZ' s actually do pair very well with an inexpensive Chardonnay and oven roasted turkey.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #25,421 of 63,915
OMG Slater, you are killin me Great references! But just to stay on topic, you know folks, KZ' s actually do pair very well with an inexpensive Chardonnay and oven roasted turkey.
KZs are versatile indeed, I'm pairing mine with some Long Hammer IPA and things are getting along great!

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #25,422 of 63,915
On a serious note, after the posts a day ago with @bsoplinger regarding zs5 and zs6, tip fitment, i got home last night, reached into my shirt pocket, and pulled out a cable not with (2) ZS5 v1 ear pieces, but only 1. I am crushed, but hopeful i will find the missing 1/2 of my iem.

Just to add a little bit of pain on top of that, my order came in today with my Sony Hybrid tips i was ready to roll.

Such is life

My takeaway from this, next time I check to make sure the tips are secure... I'll l be sure to check the cable too!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #25,424 of 63,915
1-zs5.jpg

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #25,425 of 63,915
On a serious note, after the posts a day ago with @bsoplinger regarding zs5 and zs6, tip fitment, i got home last night, reached into my shirt pocket, and pulled out a cable not with (2) ZS5 v1 ear pieces, but only 1. I am crushed, but hopeful i will find the missing 1/2 of my iem.

Just to add a little bit of pain on top of that, my order came in today with my Sony Hybrid tips i was ready to roll.

Such is life

My takeaway from this, next time I check to make sure the tips are secure... I'll l be sure to check the cable too!
Dang! that sucks, but your attitude is the only right one to have. Hopefully you find it...if not, that's ok too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back