Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #21,316 of 65,398
Oh, yeah, ran out of time earlier to post sound impressions.

Mixed bag overall. I need to compare some of these pieces using the UF and the E-MI's. The Prokofiev Toccata got a little muddy, but I have not listened to this on the other two. The trumpet excerpts sounded very good, as did the Shostakovich 1. The Prokofiev PC#3 sounded a little thin. The Jezebels sounded a little muddy as well. So, for some things, the ZS5 really shined.

Sounds legit. I think the Zs5 sounds great with strings, guitars, and other instruments, but can seem a little bit congested on busy music.

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #21,321 of 65,398
Weird, i see the black color is in stock.
QY11 should be very good too and even more suited for sports.
I live in Turkey. Gearbest only has stocks in USA and Europe warehouse. neither ships to Turkey. but thanks for your reply. I am also looking at ep52 from meizu. it is released newly and ep51 is highly praised. so for convenience; thinking of getting an meizu ep52 for sports and es3 for general usage.

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #21,322 of 65,398
I was thinking es3 too. But bluetooth seems convenient. although not KZ, anyone has opinion about Meizu ep52 bluetooth sports headset? it is newly released

With the KZ bluetooth cable, you'd have the best of both worlds - good sound, the option to run wired or wireless, and your choice between any of your favorite KZs that use detachable cables.

I have some dedicated bluetooth earphones that sit and gather dust now because the ZST with bluetooth cable sounds so good.

I like the look of the EP62, but man at over $60 for it you can get 5 pairs of KZs with bluetooth cables for the same money.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #21,323 of 65,398
I like the look of the EP62, but man at over $60 for it you can get 5 pairs of KZs with bluetooth cables for the same money.

Have to agree with this, no point in buying a fixed bluetooth earphone when you can buy a cable and pair it with multiple earphones. I still have a **** MMCX cable but would be interested in a better version.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #21,325 of 65,398
Agreed - I'm honestly not really a fan of perfectly flat-as-a-board sound signature (at least not the music I listen to). Like you said, it always come across as boring and no energy. It's great for audio mixing/engineering though, but not the sound I want when I'm kicked back having fun.

I assume you looked around on Vidal's site? He has an extensive review of most KZs, and does a very straightforward job of listing the different bands.

Also, it sounds like you have a very specific tuning in mind. Have you ever tried EQ to get it dialed in just right? I have lots of headphones that are close to what I want but not perfect, and a quick touch of 1db here or there makes them perfect. With EQ you can control very specific frequencies with extremely granular control. Much more granular control than headphone manufacturers can generally achieve with basic driver and enclosure tuning. I mean, you can do this or that with a vent hole, foam, tuning cotton, shell volume, pad material, etc. But usually a tweak to one frequency caused a change to another. It's basically impossible to boost 5kHz by 1dB, cut 64Hz by 1.5dB, and cut 12kHz by 0.75dB with physical tuning alone. With EQ it's trivial.

I know a lot of people villianize like it's some sort of evil, but that is just crazy talk when you're talking about something that allows you to take a headphone/IEM that you love every aspect of - except for ONE minor thing - and with the click of a few buttons MAKE it literally perfect. I think if more people used EQ, they would stop the endless search for that "perfect" headphone that only exists in unicorn-land. Our ears are all slightly different - EQ is the great "equalizer" (literally).

I'm not a fan of the EQ not because it's evil but because I was never able to get anything good out of it. When I try something it starts to sound weird (weired that something is already). Isn't right to think that if something is just not for you in general you just can't fix it?

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #21,326 of 65,398
With the KZ bluetooth cable, you'd have the best of both worlds - good sound, the option to run wired or wireless, and your choice between any of your favorite KZs that use detachable cables.

I have some dedicated bluetooth earphones that sit and gather dust now because the ZST with bluetooth cable sounds so good.

thanks for the insight. which comply foams for es3? I use medium silicons for most of my iems

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #21,327 of 65,398
Oh wait, if the zse has the same basic signature I definitely will not try them. With kz seems like you either get a dark/bassy sound or a Vshaped sound. No real balanced?
Hmm from my knowledge there isnt really any balanced sounding KZ,most of them tend to have that recession in the mids. The closest to balanced I believe would be ATE. ZSE has more recessed mids than the ATE if I recall correctly.

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #21,328 of 65,398
KZ ZS6 10 hrs run-in impression (user from HK)
1. Cable fits well with the earphone, unlike KZ ZS5
2. Wider soundstage
3. 15 ohms, easier to drive
4. Bass: deep
5. Mid: no more laid back
6. Treble: Not sweet, but not cold or itchy, sounds natural
7. A little bit lost of control, congested when there are many instruments

I play the music with lg v20 (ESS ES9218 DAC) in volume:40/75. Will try the combo with mojo later.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #21,329 of 65,398
KZ ZS6 10 hrs run-in impression (user from HK)
1. Cable fits well with the earphone, unlike KZ ZS5
2. Wider soundstage
3. 15 ohms, easier to drive
4. Bass: deep
5. Mid: no more laid back
6. Treble: Not sweet, but not cold or itchy, sounds natural
7. A little bit lost of control, congested when there are many instruments

I play the music with v20 (ESS ES9218 DAC) in volume:40/75. Will try the combo with mojo later.
20170912_183802.jpg
20170912_183658.jpg
20170912_183802.jpg
20170912_183658.jpg

Attachments

• 20170912_183841.jpg
    20170912_183841.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170912_183841.jpg
    20170912_183841.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread