Knob Backlighting
Sep 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

luvdunhill

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have a good way to get illumination behind a knob to be consistent? I am trying to use a couple diffused LEDs with wide viewing angle and it still looks splotchy. Perhaps a piece of perspex could be used here somehow to act as a diffuser?

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 14
I believe that steinchen was pretty happy with how his beta22 turned out using ultra bright leds. Check the pictures here for how he did it.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that steinchen was pretty happy with how his beta22 turned out using ultra bright leds. Check the pictures here for how he did it.

Thanks!

yes, exactly what I was thinking of with the insert. I wonder if he fabbed that part, or if it's available somewhere?

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

yes, exactly what I was thinking of with the insert. I wonder if he fabbed that part, or if it's available somewhere?

If memory serves me right he had FPE make it up for him, assuming you're talking about the acrylic panel. Also, if I were going to do something like that I'd have FPE do the front panel as well and use blind taps on the back side to avoid the 4 fasteners on the front. You'd need a pretty thick panel to accommodate that though so it might be tricky.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If memory serves me right he had FPE make it up for him, assuming you're talking about the acrylic panel. Also, if I were going to do something like that I'd have FPE do the front panel as well and use blind taps on the back side to avoid the 4 fasteners on the front. You'd need a pretty thick panel to accommodate that though so it might be tricky.

yes, yes, yes
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll use the same thickness I did for my Blue Hawaii front, as I had no problems doing blind holes on that. I think it was 6mm thick.

perhaps steinchen can post his FPE files
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps steinchen can post his FPE files
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't seen Andreas around much lately, probably worth seeing if his email is active here and if not shoot me a PM and I think I've got some contact info for him.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 14
On my dynalo (page 116 or so of post pics of your builds thread), I put 3 LEDs in plexiglass right behind the knob. The plexiglass lines the front panel, and the pot, etc. are mounted in it instead of the front panel.

Steinchen's looks good as well, but I agree with Nate WRT the bolts for the plexiglass, etc. Those should be blind from the front.

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

What about clamping the plexi with the pot's mounting hardware? Assuming the bushing is long enough in your application, it should be a lot simpler. No blind taps required and I think it'd be effective enough for this...

That is pretty much what I had in mind for the attached file set but I never ordered it.

FWIW OKW does offer an off the shelf solution but it is rather unique looking.

Check it out here---->

OKW Enclosures, Inc. - STAR-KNOBS

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is pretty much what I had in mind for the attached file set but I never ordered it.

FWIW OKW does offer an off the shelf solution but it is rather unique looking.

Check it out here---->

OKW Enclosures, Inc. - STAR-KNOBS

Wow, those are slick looking knobs (the flush-fitting ones).

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about clamping the plexi with the pot's mounting hardware? Assuming the bushing is long enough in your application, it should be a lot simpler. No blind taps required and I think it'd be effective enough for this...

Will be trying it myself soon
wink.gif

I considered this as well. Main reason I didn't do this, is because I want to minimize the amount of stray light that enters the case because I have a large VFD display in the center of the case. Keeping the LEDs encapsulated in the rear aluminum piece should do a good job of doing this, along with the fact that the Perspex and aluminum pieces will be counter sunk into the front panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back