knife-fi?
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,606 of 2,248

They still make most of the Shun line, as far as I can tell. At least the classic/pro/blue/sora lines (Classics are what I have). But not the Onion sets. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

Yeah, I didn't know that about the KO Shuns. I just bought one of the Santokus now that I know they're going to be discontinued. Those ergos are pretty unusual for a kitchen knife.

Ken Onion is a god to me. I convince myself his sometimes wonky ass handles work way better for me and they usually do :)

I have one of his Santokus as well. I love the hammered look on Shun knives too

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,607 of 2,248
Yah, ergonomically they work. I just wish I liked the look of them. He has more than a few folders I'd already own, if not for the handles. :/

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,608 of 2,248

Ken Onion is a god to me. I convince myself his sometimes wonky ass handles work way better for me and they usually do :)

I have one of his Santokus as well. I love the hammered look on Shun knives too

I'd have to agree with you on that. The most comfortable folder I've ever tried is my ZT 0200. I've heard some murmurings about Shun's VG-10 not being as well treated as some other brands, but the ergos are unique and I can't imagine that their HT is that lacking. Plus, I'm a devoted fan of KAI products due to their excellent customer service (I once asked for a replacement stud lock for my Spec Bump and they sent me 4 complete DLC coated blades).

Random side note, but are you friends with Kevin (uses koodiban as his handle on everything)?

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,609 of 2,248

I'd have to agree with you on that. The most comfortable folder I've ever tried is my ZT 0200. I've heard some murmurings about Shun's VG-10 not being as well treated as some other brands, but the ergos are unique and I can't imagine that their HT is that lacking. Plus, I'm a devoted fan of KAI products due to their excellent customer service (I once asked for a replacement stud lock for my Spec Bump and they sent me 4 complete DLC coated blades).

Random side note, but are you friends with Kevin (uses koodiban as his handle on everything)?

Yeah I am.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,610 of 2,248
Anyone have any recommendations for an everyday folding knife?  Just lost my buck knife that I received as a wedding favor a few years back.  Looking to spend no more than 100-150.  I've looked at a few from Spyderco, SOG, Benchmade, Kershaw.  I just can't decide which to go with...

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #1,611 of 2,248
  Anyone have any recommendations for an everyday folding knife?  Just lost my buck knife that I received as a wedding favor a few years back.  Looking to spend no more than 100-150.  I've looked at a few from Spyderco, SOG, Benchmade, Kershaw.  I just can't decide which to go with...

Kershaw has the best customer service and makes a great knife, Spyderco is the most utilitarian and functional, and Benchmade has the most premium feel IMO. Avoid SOG. On the flip side, Spyderco's customer service is the most lacking (this largely has to do with it being a small company rather than their attitude towards customer service. They don't have the capacity to replace blades, for instance), Benchmade's heat treat, factory edge, and edge geometry fall behind the others, and Kershaw's designs and variety aren't as strong as the other two. It depends on what you want, but all three are great companies and I'm very happy with my knives from them.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,613 of 2,248

I would recommend several of the spyderco models (military, manix XL, Persian 2).  The new SOG Kiku is also very nice (for a sog).  Benchmade are hit or miss, with inconsistent heat treat and honing. Also if the blade is more for utility I cant recommend the Al Mar eagle talon Heady Duty enough. Fit and finish are excellent and the blade some surgical sharpe and is of very good steel.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,614 of 2,248

I really like my Doug Ritter Mini-RSK with orange handles, and I know where you can get a full-size RSK with black handles cheap! :wink: The full-size was a little too big for my daily carry.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,615 of 2,248

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-940-Osborne-Design-Knife/dp/B000QA9G2W

31R2lISQlJL._SX385_.jpg

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,617 of 2,248
Mmmm... Zero Tolerance 0566. 

I'm pretty darn happy with this knife. Especially now that I've deassisted it. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,619 of 2,248
  What are the alternatives to Benchmade Mini Griptilian ?

The Spyderco Delica 4 FFG is probably your best bet. It's thinner and easier to pocket, has better steel, more comfortable ergos (the mini Grip seems too small for my hands, and I don't have big hands), and a better slicing blade grind. It does feel very basic and utilitarian, though. Also, the Mini Grip is tougher due to the thicker blade and stronger lock. So the Mini Grip feels like a better knife, while the Delica 4 FFG functions like a better knife.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,620 of 2,248
  What are the alternatives to Benchmade Mini Griptilian ?

What are your criteria? Needs? Budget? The 566 I posted above could be a pretty direct alternative... but so could a Swiss Army Knife Cadet. Need more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back