knife-fi?
May 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,531 of 2,248
Quote:

Cool, you always come through. Will order a lg Sebenza from Plaza in the meantime. Btw I don't carry a knife unless there is a need which is rare. My main use for a self-defense knife, is working out with my partner. Slashing 1.5" and thrusting 4" of corrrogated paper from varying positions is pretty eye opening.

Are you cool with buying used? I could probably save you $40-50 by scouring USN for a pre-owned piece? Half the people who buy one are too afraid to buy it. I can give you my login info if you want to browse the forum for yourself.

Thats kind of BS considering it was engineered to have the best durability and cutting geometry, and it's probably one of the most plain knives you can purchase.

May 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,533 of 2,248
I know...

Just saying that I've seen guys with 60+ stab wounds walk away from an equally bloody but unconscious attacker.  Spend $150 on a self defense course before you spend $150 on a knife if you are serious about protecting yourself is all I'm saying.

Agree with this 100%

+1

May 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,534 of 2,248
Thanks Chris,
Haven't been there for a long time but have a membership. Will ck it out.

Cheers!!!

Quote:
Quote:

Cool, you always come through. Will order a lg Sebenza from Plaza in the meantime. Btw I don't carry a knife unless there is a need which is rare. My main use for a self-defense knife, is working out with my partner. Slashing 1.5" and thrusting 4" of corrrogated paper from varying positions is pretty eye opening.

Are you cool with buying used? I could probably save you $40-50 by scouring USN for a pre-owned piece? Half the people who buy one are too afraid to buy it. I can give you my login info if you want to browse the forum for yourself.

Thats kind of BS considering it was engineered to have the best durability and cutting geometry, and it's probably one of the most plain knives you can purchase.

May 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,535 of 2,248
What are people's thoughts on the cold steel Warcraft tanto for field use, ie: batoning, whittleing, splitting small logs? And is it worth it's price?

May 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,536 of 2,248
Too big for most camp uses, and not big enough for others. And does seem expensive. Their Recon tanto seems a much better deal for good steel and g10 scales. 

For that same price could get a really really nice bushcraft knife from Blind Horse or Bark River (or two KaBar/Beckers). Or a decent knife and a good camp axe. All of which would have you in better shape for the field, than trying to make one expensive knife do everything not very well. 

May 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,537 of 2,248
Quote:
What are people's thoughts on the cold steel Warcraft tanto for field use, ie: batoning, whittleing, splitting small logs? And is it worth it's price?

You'd probably be better off with a more versatile design by a higher quality maker. IIRC the lower blade is about 6.5", carbon steel, and fairly economical.

[

May 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,538 of 2,248
I've been getting back into knives lately. 
rolleyes.gif

Gonna lurk around for a good edc knife, something to cut mail or bags of chips basically 
tongue.gif

I'm also thinking about picking up a spyderco sharpmaker as well. 

As for the whole self defense thing, my views have pretty much changed over time. Don't get me wrong, I'm still fascinated with learning more about edge weapons and techniques for them, but realistically if you had to use a knife in a fight, it would most likely be used to just scare off the attacker. The average joe will start running when he sees a blade or gets cut in the arm. 

When I have the time, I'm going to try to find a place to learn escrima or krav maga.

May 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,539 of 2,248
Quote:

You'd probably be better off with a more versatile design by a higher quality maker. IIRC the lower blade is about 6.5", carbon steel, and fairly economical.

[

Those are awesome knives, but a lot of ppl who buy a Swamprat or Busse just toss in in the drawer or a case.  It's a shame, Busse's don't belong in a case. They're great for field/camp work but a bit heavy. I've beaten the living **** out of mine.  The CS Warcraft is ~7".  A Busse at that length is going to be expensive.  A cheaper alternative is an ESEE or Kabar BK2.

May 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,540 of 2,248
Quote:
Those are awesome knives, but a lot of ppl who buy a Swamprat or Busse just toss in in the drawer or a case.  It's a shame, Busse's don't belong in a case. They're great for field/camp work but a bit heavy. I've beaten the living **** out of mine.  The CS Warcraft is ~7".  A Busse at that length is going to be expensive.  A cheaper alternative is an ESEE or Kabar BK2.

Busse are pricey but good camp knives.  Cold steel hasnt impressed me in recent years their fit and finish seems to have gone down.  Thier pieces from ten years ago were of better contrustion.  The ESEE is a good economical choise as is Becker and Entrek.  But for about $180 you can get a  DPX H.E.F.T.  assault thats a great all around field knife. 

May 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,542 of 2,248
Quote:

[

Dude youre into Busse-kin?

Mah n-word

May 8, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,544 of 2,248
Nice selection. The Dragonfly is one of my favorite small folders. 

I've just ordered a new gentleman's folder - a Mcusta in damascus and micarta. Looking forward to getting it into rotation.

May 8, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,545 of 2,248
My el-cheapo tactical knife, finds use nowadays mostly for opening packages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back