knife-fi?
Apr 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,501 of 2,248
Quote:
Imo fixed blades are the way to go. Love the solidness of a fixed. And really depending of how you carry knives, you can hide them quite easily.

I feel the same way. I still have a couple flippers (endura, some kershaw flamelock, spyderco police PIG,  Izula flipper (when it comes out =D)) but I sold ~80% of my collection a few years ago.  All I have now are fixed blades: busses, kabars, swamprat and an Izula fixed.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,504 of 2,248
Oooooh a hinderer :)
You sir, have taste. I love the skull and cross nuts!
Although with a HEST/f and a large sebby I don't really have an urge for a new knife, the lionsteel SR1 or hinderer xm18 are on my shortlist for when I have money to burn.

For those not familiar with lionsteel; they did a great job on the hest/f.
www.lionsteel.it

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #1,505 of 2,248
Quote:
Oooooh a hinderer
smily_headphones1.gif

You sir, have taste. I love the skull and cross nuts!
Although with a HEST/f and a large sebby I don't really have an urge for a new knife, the lionsteel SR1 or hinderer xm18 are on my shortlist for when I have money to burn.

For those not familiar with lionsteel; they did a great job on the hest/f.
www.lionsteel.it

It's not a religous or anti-religious affiliation, I just thought it was a cool piece of knife jewelry to throw on although I am aware of what it is and what it typically means. Hinderers are wonderful, but honestly their scarcity makes them a bit annoying to collect unless you want to pay over asking price for them from Rick_Himself.

I've owned plenty of Sebenzas actually. You'll find that Mayos are essentially handmade Sebenzas in terms of tolerances (obviously they're more interesting to look at) which kind of goes along with the fact that both Tom and Chris Reeve started building frame lock folders roughly around the same time. Obviously Chris is more well-known for this but Tom's knives don't really lose much to Chris' in terms of precision and quality feel. This is somewhat ironic as one is an $$$ custom and the other is a $400 knife you can buy at a decent knife dealer.

With the Sebenza I find that you can buy cheaper, and you can buy better, but you can't get both at the same time. And by "better" I purely just mean more ornate. You know his knives used to command an actual premium because he couldn't keep them in stock haha, this was only like a few years ago too!

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,506 of 2,248

It's not a religous or anti-religious affiliation, I just thought it was a cool piece of knife jewelry to throw on although I am aware of what it is and what it typically means. Hinderers are wonderful, but honestly their scarcity makes them a bit annoying to collect unless you want to pay over asking price for them from Rick_Himself.

I've owned plenty of Sebenzas actually. You'll find that Mayos are essentially handmade Sebenzas in terms of tolerances (obviously they're more interesting to look at) which kind of goes along with the fact that both Tom and Chris Reeve started building frame lock folders roughly around the same time. Obviously Chris is more well-known for this but Tom's knives don't really lose much to Chris' in terms of precision and quality feel. This is somewhat ironic as one is an $$$ custom and the other is a $400 knife you can buy at a decent knife dealer.

With the Sebenza I find that you can buy cheaper, and you can buy better, but you can't get both at the same time. And by "better" I purely just mean more ornate. You know his knives used to command an actual premium because he couldn't keep them in stock haha, this was only like a few years ago too!

haha it wasnt a religion-based comment :)
I also know what they mean and i dont care for religion, not in a positve way at least but thats another topic not for these boards. I just like the skull and cross just for the looks, just like you 
size]
. But its good to know where things you use actually come from, more people should imo

Mayo? In the netherlands its an abbreveation for mayonaise 
size]
 Havent heard of the knives, gonna look it up.
I have a thing for technical pieces of art like chris'  knives and the thing holding me back from buying more of those apart from funds is that i want to use them, knives are still tools. The HEST folder isn't seeing much use over my sebby already, which is a bit of a shame as its a wonderfull knife, build like a tank AND it has a bottle opener 
size]

btw whats the ikbs knife? not to find about it

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,507 of 2,248
I'm ready to move up to a 4" self-defense folder. Good ergonomics and a strong blade are the reqs. By ergonomics I mean scales that help with heavy slashing/piercing (for a folder), and secondarily how it fits in the waistband. Not sure about cost yet. Advise.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,508 of 2,248
Quote:
I'm ready to move up to a 4" self-defense folder. Good ergonomics and a strong blade are the reqs. By ergonomics I mean scales that help with heavy slashing/piercing (for a folder), and secondarily how it fits in the waistband. Not sure about cost yet. Advise.

An Emerson. Most have the wave feature, making it very easy to deploy.  Cheaper alternative is the Spyderco Endura Wave.  Spyderco Military/Paramilitary.  Zero Tolerance. Strider.  Loads of knives out there. It's all about how much you're willing to spend.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,509 of 2,248
Zero Tolerance ZT 560. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,512 of 2,248

All the requirements you mention are better found in a 3" fixed blade. And it'll still be easy to carry

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,513 of 2,248
Quote:
What bad QC did you experience with Emerson if you don't mind me asking? 

Also, do you plan to use the knife as an EDC or just purely as a self defense purpose? 

The side near the tip was scraping the liner when opening with one hand. When I called, and I can't remember what they said exactly, but it was the wrong answer. Something like we can look at it if you really need it looked at.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #1,514 of 2,248
Quote:

The side near the tip was scraping the liner when opening with one hand. When I called, and I can't remember what they said exactly, but it was the wrong answer. Something like we can look at it if you really need it looked at.

Par for the course, carry on. You're not to blame and having owned several, if we're looking at collecting for objective qualities like fit and finish, you will not find them in an Emerson even at the custom level. I hate to sound elitist but there isn't really a polite way to say that the knives are lacking in precision and surface finishing both in the aesthetic and in the critical parts, leading to somewhat of a loose knife in comparison. I respect the maker massively and I even have a picture with him. You can totally kill the **** out of somebody with one though almost moreso than with any other folder and they're pretty tough and he does stand behind the product in case of an actual failure. He's a great businessman, friend, and overall American.

LOL eff I forgot to hide my 29 balisong but yes I have been known to carry one a good amount of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back