knife-fi?
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,486 of 2,248

New Toys,  ProTech DarkAngel SN 50,  Microtech Makora carbon fiber from 05/2009 and the new Spyderco Street Bowie and my old tacpen and monkeypaw keychain.  The streetbowie feels good in the hand but the fit and finish not hear as nice as the smaller streebeat released some years back.  Really wish spyderco kept the micarta handle, but this is the economical model.  Im a fan of Protech blades great autos for the money.  As for microtech what can you say they are the best production autos out (my opinion) but pricey.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #1,487 of 2,248
Call me old fashioned, but I much prefer the Italian stiletto switchblade for autos ... I'll bet those are very nice though. 

I still have a Street Beat near the top of my fixed blade wish list. My impressions of the bowie are the same as yours. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,488 of 2,248
I have several but even the best ones of those werent great cutters.  I love old swing guards, but the italian ones made now even by reputable dealers use somewhat suspect steel.  The ones in here cut and have 0 blade play.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,489 of 2,248
Aye - the italians are more about pointy than slicey. Frank B still uses reasonable steel, but they are certainly "light duty" knives. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,491 of 2,248
Visited my local knife shop today foolishly thinking I could just walk out with my wallet intact. Bought the following two knives as I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse:

Spyderco Caly 3 damascus carbon fiber

Spyderco Lum Chinese titanium

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #1,493 of 2,248
Quote:
Frank B uses alot of 440B steel in his which just doesnt hold up well.

I thought it was 440C, but thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty picky about my steels in other blades, but this doesn't bother me too much. I'm not cutting with any stilletto. All it needs is to be sharpened to a point and hold that shape long enough to go through a few layers of cloth. Done. Edge retention and carbide consistency are not a big deal for a stilletto or bayonette grind since those are not slicing/cutting blades. 

Great looking Caly, Warubozu.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,495 of 2,248
Quote:

I thought it was 440C, but thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty picky about my steels in other blades, but this doesn't bother me too much. I'm not cutting with any stilletto. All it needs is to be sharpened to a point and hold that shape long enough to go through a few layers of cloth. Done. Edge retention and carbide consistency are not a big deal for a stilletto or bayonette grind since those are not slicing/cutting blades. 

Agreed however lateral strength at the point is an issue.  Thin blade profiles and bad heat treat can really make a blade easy to break at the tip (think early Fairbain and Sykes daggers).   Burn makes great ones but they are shelf eye poppers not carry pieces, Some Latamas are good.  Some newer pieces are 440C but alot of the late 80s to 90s stuff from maniago is 420 and 440b

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,498 of 2,248
Quote:

Thanks, I tried so hard in vain to resist buying it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #1,500 of 2,248
I've been paring down my knife collection lately (in part to fund headphones), but I'm keeping my favorites. I've settled on the CRK Umnumzaan as my top dog for now, with a few other nice productions to accompany it. But the cheaper ones I don't use as much can go; about a month ago I had about 50 knives and many of them didn't see much use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back