knife-fi?
Sep 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #961 of 2,248
Anytime you take a knife to a non flat sharpening surface you dont get a perfect V edge. Not to say you are going to get like a SUPER convex edge when you strop, but it will convex it a little. enough to make it so you have to actually sharpen the knife a little not just touch up a few strokes because that just won't take off enough steel. I wouldn't say you have to reprofile the edge, but you do need to take off a small bit of steel to get the V grind, but once thats done touch up isnt a problem. 

makes sense right? you just cant keep a V grind on a belt sander or a strop when you are trying to take off the steel or polish it

Quote:

Havent seen that. I heard it was convexed and shot a mail to crk. They told me the sharpmaker is the recommended sharpener. After using the sharpmaker it got very sharp with out reprofiling.
this led me to believe the edge is v-grind. The vid is on the crk site? Always interested in that sort of stuff.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #962 of 2,248
Sharpmaker doesn't build a v-grind, the rods are round and the reason the darn thing is so effective is because it creates a really deadly convex microbezel within the edge....

Picture just like your main edge, and then theres like this really thin laserbeam of an edge sitting there, it's the first to wear down and then become a utility edge, but the benefit of S30V is that it's one of the steels that will actually hold that edge for a while...

I can't justify owning a sharpmaker quite yet, I prefer to do things with either my 20 dollar lansky set with the 10 dollar sapphire add-on stone, or lately my favorite has been just a spyderco whetstone with a medium/fine side. If I need a coarse stone I'll just use one of the lansky stones freehand (they work great since they have little finger grooves)

Getting the angle right isn't all that important if you're only touching up I found out over the years, VG-40, 154CM and 440C are incredibly forgiving with sharpening, I've done a 40 degree bevel and still was able to cut paper + 3 consecutive water bottles with a Benchmade Griptilian (best knife in the world under $100 along with the Endura). You don't need S30V to be happy, I actually prefer the other 3 just because it takes 2 minutes to touch them up vs D2 on the bali's right now (like 10 minutes)

I post a lot of nice/expensive knives, but I recently just sold everything I own minus the bali's... someone recently offered me these two puppies though for $200 each. I might want to get the 42 with the spring latch, but I'm not a sports fan and I'd have to pay a few bucks to have the logo media blasted off... I've never owned a 42 and it's pretty exciting that somebody approached me with these

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #963 of 2,248
Even here you learn a thing or two about knives 
Gonna re-read it when i'm sober. 1 quadruple beer and 2 double whiskey's isn't helping much in storing information 
rolleyes.gif

S30V does keep that sharp enough utility edge long enoug but i hear you on the "cheaper steels". Most of my woods/bushcraft knives are "ordinary" 1095. They take fine polished edge with Edge Pro in no time and stay sharp for good while. My heavy duty folder, the esee/ryp HEST folder, is D2 and its a great steel too. It takes a very sharp edge and keeps it for a long time.
The Seb has been described as pocket jewelery, the hest/f is a pocket tank.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #964 of 2,248
I impulse bought a Kershaw Black Blur knife from an amazon lightning deal a month ago. I like how it feels in my hand though I haven't used it for much besides cutting some string hanging off my pants.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #965 of 2,248

Quote:
Even here you learn a thing or two about knives 
Gonna re-read it when i'm sober. 1 quadruple beer and 2 double whiskey's isn't helping much in storing information 
rolleyes.gif

S30V does keep that sharp enough utility edge long enoug but i hear you on the "cheaper steels". Most of my woods/bushcraft knives are "ordinary" 1095. They take fine polished edge with Edge Pro in no time and stay sharp for good while. My heavy duty folder, the esee/ryp HEST folder, is D2 and its a great steel too. It takes a very sharp edge and keeps it for a long time.
The Seb has been described as pocket jewelery, the hest/f is a pocket tank.

Oh dude no way, you have a HEST folder? Those things are awesome!!

I've always wanted to try one of those but not plop down 180 for it haha... I think it should be every bit as good as an SnG though... if you're ever trying to get rid of it to a good home..

Quote:
I impulse bought a Kershaw Black Blur knife from an amazon lightning deal a month ago. I like how it feels in my hand though I haven't used it for much besides cutting some string hanging off my pants.

Great knife, they're super sharp and Kershaw customer service and products are all amazing. They might be the only knife brand that completely strays away from the "tactical" side, thats why the ZT knives exist and they're full blown tactical heavy duty beater tanks...

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #967 of 2,248
If it's got Rick Hinderer's name on it, I wouldn't hesitate to drop cash on one. Gerber isn't known for super high end production knives, but for our green collared folk overseas, it's all they use out there believe it or not...

Rick Hinderer used to produce 350 dollar customs using state of the art materials and tolerances, those same knives go for 650 used due to the appreciation for them over the last few years and the fact that he only serves law enforcement, military, and EMT's now...

Now if you want a Hinderer XM-18, you buy a Zero Tolerance collaboration, it's the closest you can get for 1/3 the price you get a used one for haha...

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #968 of 2,248
+1 for the ZT 056X. cant wait till they are available for purchase, gotta get myself at least 1...

Quote:
If it's got Rick Hinderer's name on it, I wouldn't hesitate to drop cash on one. Gerber isn't known for super high end production knives, but for our green collared folk overseas, it's all they use out there believe it or not...

Rick Hinderer used to produce 350 dollar customs using state of the art materials and tolerances, those same knives go for 650 used due to the appreciation for them over the last few years and the fact that he only serves law enforcement, military, and EMT's now...

Now if you want a Hinderer XM-18, you buy a Zero Tolerance collaboration, it's the closest you can get for 1/3 the price you get a used one for haha...

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #969 of 2,248
Quote:
Havent seen that. I heard it was convexed and shot a mail to crk. They told me the sharpmaker is the recommended sharpener. After using the sharpmaker it got very sharp with out reprofiling.
this led me to believe the edge is v-grind. The vid is on the crk site? Always interested in that sort of stuff.

My memory is super fuzzy, but I remember the angle on the sebenza that came out of the factory was something like 23 degrees due to the convex edge, so it takes some work on the 20 degree setting on the sharpmaker to grind it down.

I got lazy.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #970 of 2,248

So the reigning joke on Jerzeedevil is that I starve to buy knives, somebody sent me a 1/2lb of beef jerky with the 42 they sold me haha :)

But yes I am a death dealing dual balisong wielding machine now... 

No on a serious note I use them everyday for the whole side business thing. They're just so darn foolproof. I think I'm done with knives until I graduate hehe.

PS. I totally ate all the beef jerky in one sitting. IT WAS REALLY GOOD ITS NOT MY FAULT! I had never had all natural jerky with no preservatives before and man it was yums.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #971 of 2,248
Chris_Himself, what alias do you use on the JD? I'm Lazerboy2000 there as I am on here. Cool to see another Devil!

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #972 of 2,248

Quote:
Chris_Himself, what alias do you use on the JD? I'm Lazerboy2000 there as I am on here. Cool to see another Devil!

Same thing I use here! 

I'm ChrisHimself (no hypen) on USN which is my home forum, although not lately since Emerson Knives (which more or less runs the forum) took a rusty bladed Roadhouse and tried to tell me that I didn't take good care of it and that I don't know what to expect out of stainless steels. I mean... you guys have seen the stuff I carry right?

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #973 of 2,248

[size=1em] I have four that I carry variously... [/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em] Most usually - due to Chicago's laws, I carry one of two knives with blades shorter than 2 inches. Either a Spyderco Dragonfly with SS scales (non-serrated blade), or a Case Stockman with bone scales. [/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em] The other two are a Spyderco Police - SS, half serrated (LOVE this knife), and a Joker Navaja with olivewood scales, given to me by a cousin some years ago. [/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em] The Case and Joker can be seen in this picture.[/size]

[size=1em] [/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em] And the two Spyderco. [/size]

[size=1em] [/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #974 of 2,248
That's a beautiful Case! I have this weird feeling I'm gonna receive one for my birthday this year just because of this look I gave one at a knife store with some friends

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #975 of 2,248

Quote:

Same thing I use here! 

I'm ChrisHimself (no hypen) on USN which is my home forum, although not lately since Emerson Knives (which more or less runs the forum) took a rusty bladed Roadhouse and tried to tell me that I didn't take good care of it and that I don't know what to expect out of stainless steels. I mean... you guys have seen the stuff I carry right?

Lol. After reading online about their *great* CS, it was a joke when Emerson tried to convince me nothing was wrong that the blade tip was scraping the scale on opening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back