knife-fi?
Sep 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #917 of 2,248
That just looks like a cheap CRK knockoff. I wouldn't trust any folding knife like that for only $8, including worldwide shipping. I like my fingers. I feel like that knife is the SkullCandy of the headphone world. 

Save up and actually buy a quality knife from Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade or hundreds of other manufacturers. Totally worth it. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #918 of 2,248
Actually SRM makes knives for Spyderco under the Bryd line. The 710 is notoriously good for the price, and competes with the middle priced Kershaws. 

Opinels are highly trusted and they are roughly the same price. The frame lock here is arguably stronger than the Opinel's ring lock....

Quote:
That just looks like a cheap CRK knockoff. I wouldn't trust any folding knife like that for only $8, including worldwide shipping. I like my fingers. I feel like that knife is the SkullCandy of the headphone world. 

Save up and actually buy a quality knife from Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade or hundreds of other manufacturers. Totally worth it. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #919 of 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerboy2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like that knife is the SkullCandy of the headphone world. 

You couldn't be further from the truth. If you like headphone anology: SanRenMu is the nwAVguy or Fischer Audio of the knife industry, proving you can deliver outstandig performance without all the marketing hype, mark-up and esoterics.  Order one, they're cheap enough to try one before judging.

You don't have to believe me ofcourse, but you can read up on SanRenMu on the Bladeforums and Britishblades forum. They're quickly becoming popular. You can order about every model on http://www.exduct.com, but they charge shipping. The bang-for-your-buck is still insane though. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #920 of 2,248
Well then forgive my ignorance. I've been on bladeforums for years and don't recall hearing much about Sanrenmu and of course don't have any personal experience. I might have to bite my tongue next time and try it. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #921 of 2,248

Quote:
the s35vn is slightly overrated. it was actually chosen to cut down a little on production costs i hear, not to say it isn't a slight upgrade to s30v. both are pretty good, and it would be hard to differentiate between the two during most if not all edc tasks.

i don't like the stamps either. i actually like the classic models the most. the rounded lock bar is just so much more comfortable to use.

The S35VN isn't really even an upgrade. It is, but they really could have just produced this steel from the beginning. The steel on the Hinderer/Zero Tolerance collaboration is amazing though!

It's just that it's in demand right now and there is something like a 2 month wait for just a plain jane polished blade like the one I own now.

Quote:
i think balisong is so cool. if i were to try it i am pretty sure i would lose fingers though. i don't want to test that theory either. i have the bm gold class damascus one with my case queens. yeah, small sebenza is so small and unassuming but it is a real tool. i am sure it is much more up to the task of cutting something than a wh or even mnandi. i want the new steel but i don't want the idaho made. i know that is personal but i don't like it. nothing against idaho either but just simple usa would be much cooler imo. i was thinking of getting another spyderco cricket today. that knife is super inexpensive for what it is. or maybe that bm that has a spydie hole and is like a sebenza. i sold that one and want it back now.

Most of the beginner balisong moves center around just hanging on to the safe handle. As long as you know that one is the safe handle, you'll be ok. I've only cut myself like 2 times in the 3 weeks I've owned the 32 haha. If you're ever down to flip, let me know

The Mnandi is super nice but it's kind of expensive for what it is. It's one of those knives I want, but I'm too overly tactical with all the crap I own (consult my sig).

Quote:
Aren't you supposed to take the super steels to diamond rods to make them sharp again then refine the edge and then work your way to a strop? It is best to maintain an edge than recreate one.

Only if you let them get dull. With S35VN, you really don't have to sharpen it, just after a serious cutting session, strop it on cardboard. I've yet to sharpen this one and I use knives every day to cut cable, packaging, zip ties, and even pry open Grados lol.

I'm seriously SO happy that this thread is still up! Yet another knife forum to post to!

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #922 of 2,248

Quote:

They're fairly decent. They are good value for money and even though they're blatant copies of the CRK, it's not the looks that give Reeve knives their notoriety, it's the tolerances. Still it's nothing close to a CRK. Nobody NEEDS a CRK, it's just pocket jewelry. I'll take a CRK over a Denon D5000 any time of day haha.

Quote:
You couldn't be further from the truth. If you like headphone anology: SanRenMu is the nwAVguy or Fischer Audio of the knife industry, proving you can deliver outstandig performance without all the marketing hype, mark-up and esoterics.  Order one, they're cheap enough to try one before judging.

You don't have to believe me ofcourse, but you can read up on SanRenMu on the Bladeforums and Britishblades forum. They're quickly becoming popular. You can order about every model on http://www.exduct.com, but they charge shipping. The bang-for-your-buck is still insane though. 

Yeah I own 3 of them, I didn't get them for anywhere NEAR that price, but I can say they're very quirky blades, I was considering sending out one to get cerakoted at 4bush, and I still am, I just can't decide what color!

The next level up is a Benchmade 940 from there. I used to be into CRK's, ZT 302's, the DPX HEST folder, and then I realized that a well made Balisong doesn't cost anywhere near that amount (Bradley Mayhem) can be used just as hard and locks up just as solid... seriously I could give up all my knives just to order a 29 custom Balisong right now:

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #923 of 2,248
speaking of custom balis... i would really love a balibalistic with that sweet hollow grind with a tanto point. beautiful knives. i would have bought one instead of my crk and other headphone stuff, but i can't carry one legally in CA, so i just couldn't justify getting one. some day down the road....

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #924 of 2,248

Quote:
speaking of custom balis... i would really love a balibalistic with that sweet hollow grind with a tanto point. beautiful knives. i would have bought one instead of my crk and other headphone stuff, but i can't carry one legally in CA, so i just couldn't justify getting one. some day down the road....

You're right, very nice grinds on that knife... 
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #925 of 2,248

Quote:

I know it's bad, but I've been EDC-ing balis.

1) I'm never using my knife in front of people
2) Most of my tasks are within the home of myself or others
3) Most sheeple don't even know I'm carrying a regular folder and if they did they'd assume they were illegal anyway.
4) I used to EDC a Microtech lol (big big trouble for those, can't even ship 'em USPS)

Those BB's are awesome. I mean 500-600 dollars gets you a handmade, handfinished knife, where if you spent that kind of money on custom folders, you'd wait half a year and they're not nearly as fun. A really bad example is custom Emersons, I've never owned one, but I wouldn't wait 2 years and throw down like 2 g's for a handmade version of one of their production blades. There is a $4000 dress Gypsy Jack on GPknives right now that is great to look at, but not worth a used car even considering how special it is.

I quit head-fi a while back to get into knives and other toys, I just got back for Grado trading and the recable thing.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #926 of 2,248
I use my knives whenever I can both in public and private. The idea of having a balibalistic confiscated for illegal carry is more than enough to scare me off from carrying one. I don't want to lose such a beautiful knife. It's usually slower to open than your average axis lock or speed safe anyway...the CA laws are kind of silly.

My CRK is more than sufficient for my EDC and I am happy with it.

Quote:
I know it's bad, but I've been EDC-ing balis.

1) I'm never using my knife in front of people
2) Most of my tasks are within the home of myself or others
3) Most sheeple don't even know I'm carrying a regular folder and if they did they'd assume they were illegal anyway.
4) I used to EDC a Microtech lol (big big trouble for those, can't even ship 'em USPS)

Those BB's are awesome. I mean 500-600 dollars gets you a handmade, handfinished knife, where if you spent that kind of money on custom folders, you'd wait half a year and they're not nearly as fun. A really bad example is custom Emersons, I've never owned one, but I wouldn't wait 2 years and throw down like 2 g's for a handmade version of one of their production blades. There is a $4000 dress Gypsy Jack on GPknives right now that is great to look at, but not worth a used car even considering how special it is.

I quit head-fi a while back to get into knives and other toys, I just got back for Grado trading and the recable thing.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #927 of 2,248

Quote:
I use my knives whenever I can both in public and private. The idea of having a balibalistic confiscated for illegal carry is more than enough to scare me off from carrying one. I don't want to lose such a beautiful knife. It's usually slower to open than your average axis lock or speed safe anyway...the CA laws are kind of silly.

My CRK is more than sufficient for my EDC and I am happy with it.

Oh right. Then theres that. Ok we're both on the same page lol!

Yeah CRK rules. I used to find myself playing around with Striders but the fact that they clack around when you shake them and move them around was kind of a turn-off. They're not precision made compared to CRK's and thats perhaps why some people own an SnG or an SMF as their grail knife, and CRK people find a way to buy every single one that shows up on the classifieds rofl.

I'm not rich by any means, it's just I've been into knives since 2007 and over time you build up equity in the hobby with a dozen little purchases which you consolidate into a big amount. It's 2011 and my collection is meager for someone who's been into knives for so long haha.

How do you feel about Emersons? I love the brand but they're really friggin expensive for the loose tolerances I've seen in some models. I had a LNIB 2004 mini 7 which rubbed on liners. The "scratches" are actually dust from sitting out on my desk.

And then you get trophy worthy ones like this guy:

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #928 of 2,248
@Chris_Himself

Some of the high end ones are actually quite nice. However, I am not a fan of the whole chisel grinds, they aren'y really suited for normal edc tasks. They are also not really people friendly, with all the wave features and tactical looks. 

Have you looked into the Bradley Alias knives? They offer similar specs to the Sebenza for only half the price. They actually are quite amazing, just lack the hefty and that bank vault feel you get with a Sebenza, so I traded mine away. They do however, open quite quickly. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #929 of 2,248
Yeah they kinda suck for EDC but they have that cool factor going for them.

One of my next knives to get is a Bradley Mayhem actually! They're made by Benchmade, and I've already felt the Subrosa which was absolutely sick!

It's the Bradley or one of these monsters...

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #930 of 2,248
The mayhem is a really good knife, but only an ok flipper. The design is meant for EDC and it excels at that. I sold mine to fund my current CRK.

The 51 is a better flipper, and it is much lighter. The materials aren't as good as the mayhem though. The titanium handles+s30v beat the g10 handles+d2. However, I believe someone in the JD is or was making SS/TI handles for the 51, but at the price of either of those, it would just be cheaper to get a 42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back