knife-fi?
Aug 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #887 of 2,248

Quote:

Thanks, it will be used for camping, fire making and wood chores, Spyderco looks ideal for my needs.

Definitely check out SanRenMu knives as well. They're the OEM company for the cheaper Spyderco, CRKT (among others) models. They sell some really nice knives for less than $20. I own a couple of them and enjoy them a lot. This and this one are my favourite EDC blades atm. Everyone should try these in my opinion.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #888 of 2,248

Quote:

Definitely check out SanRenMu knives as well. They're the OEM company for the cheaper Spyderco, CRKT (among others) models. They sell some really nice knives for less than $20. I own a couple of them and enjoy them a lot. This and this one are my favourite EDC blades atm. Everyone should try these in my opinion.

Thanks for the links, the second knife looks really nice, how does the blade stand up to everyday use ?

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #889 of 2,248

Quote:
Thanks for the links, the second knife looks really nice, how does the blade stand up to everyday use ?

They are razor sharp when you take them out of their packaging. Literally. I could easily shave with them. They keep their edge pretty well, I haven't sharpened them yet. They lock tight, no blade play. Exduct.com sells them. I've bought a couple there. These are some of the best budget knife deals around if you ask me. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #890 of 2,248
SRM makes some of the best cheapies out there. They rival the quality of knives many times their price. But they are still made in china, and OEM knives. So no warranties. That said, its like a $8-10 knife, you might as well buy another instead of trying to send it anywhere for warranty.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #891 of 2,248
i think the best value knives were from seki. i don't know what the prices are these days though. china can be all over the place with any goods. like the last thing you want is a lock that fails or something. not bashing china at all just saying the truth.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #892 of 2,248
actually numerous reports show that the srm knives, esp the 710, is just as solid as any knife you can get here. sure there are flukes, but there are even flukes with LE benchmades. that said, at $10 its going to give you more knife than you paid for. now i'm not saying its going to have a better frame lock than my sebenza, or last a life time, but it will be on par with some of the lower end kershaws, benchmades, spydercos (and even byrd), etc. heck, i don't think you can find a knife with better qualities at that price. they just don't exist.

it is a common misconception about chinese goods having bad quality control (qc), and im not saying you are wrong. a lot do. not all of the srm line is perfect. it is getting there though... it really depends on who is contracting the work and holding the qc standards. spyderco actually contracts work with srm to do their low end bryd line. i just picked up a kershaw volt 2 made in china as a beater knife and the fit and finish are quite good. the blade play is barely there and the liner lock is solid. sometimes chinese products are done right and srm knives would be a good example of this. 

Quote:
i think the best value knives were from seki. i don't know what the prices are these days though. china can be all over the place with any goods. like the last thing you want is a lock that fails or something. not bashing china at all just saying the truth.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #893 of 2,248
I haven't logged into head-fi in a loooong time and I'm realizing lots of people here are over on bf.com.  au5t3n5, I sold you that volt!  I'm s.c. on the other money sapping site.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #894 of 2,248

!!!!! the torsion bar broke and i got it replaced just a few days ago. its a great cheapie while waiting on the zt/hinderer....
Quote:
I haven't logged into head-fi in a loooong time and I'm realizing lots of people here are over on bf.com.  au5t3n5, I sold you that volt!  I'm s.c. on the other money sapping site.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #896 of 2,248

I thought about that, but decided to try out kershaw because zt is kershaw too. Turns out they have great cs, albeit a bit on the slow end.

I must resist future knife purchases until the zt. It is hard to balance out audio and knives lol. I sold a large seb for kind of cheap to get my swan speakers....I'm currently awaiting the release of the zo v2. 
Quote:
If you're looking for an inexpensive fix to hold you over until the 056x, take a look at the Enlan EL-01.  It is of outstanding quality. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #897 of 2,248

The first is the Benchmade that is my favorite overall one to carry.  So many of the things I love: wood, carbon fiber, titanium...  I had lost it and was super bummed.  Cleaning out the old car before selling, I ended up finding it sandwiched in between the seat and console.  Have kept a close eye on it ever since. 

The second is one I sought out a few years ago, the Bob Lum Spyderco Tanto.  Didn't get it when I was younger and always regretted it.  I have a few more, but these are my main two.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #898 of 2,248
those are nice! the benchmade reminds me of the microtech LCC knives. those are da though...so not exactly the friendliest for california where i live...

Quote:

The first is the Benchmade that is my favorite overall one to carry.  So many of the things I love: wood, carbon fiber, titanium...  I had lost it and was super bummed.  Cleaning out the old car before selling, I ended up finding it sandwiched in between the seat and console.  Have kept a close eye on it ever since. 

The second is one I sought out a few years ago, the Bob Lum Spyderco Tanto.  Didn't get it when I was younger and always regretted it.  I have a few more, but these are my main two.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #899 of 2,248

Quote:
Anyone have an custom damascus knifes? If so do you mind posting pictures?

Here are some pix and the description of my Jerry Corbit folding dagger.  It is the pride and joy of my collection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back