knife-fi?
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #857 of 2,248
What are you'r planning to do with such a knife? Conquer the mall?
Never really understood the term "gravity knife" but from the video on that page its obvious its an automtic opener. These type of knives are illegal in most countries afaik.

http://www.crkt.com/foldingedcknives
Most of these will get you a legal, good knife that does everything you want for EDC and some smaller woods chores. The Framelock knives provide a rock solid knife.
I recommended the Pazoda and Drifter to a few friends.

For under 100 bucks Spyderco is also a brand thats hard to beat. Specialy the Delica and  Endura models are well known.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #858 of 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.crkt.com/foldingedcknives
Most of these will get you a legal, good knife that does everything you want for EDC and some smaller woods chores. The Framelock knives provide a rock solid knife.
I recommended the Pazoda and Drifter to a few friends.

For under 100 bucks Spyderco is also a brand thats hard to beat. Specialy the Delica and  Endura models are well known.

Thanks, it will be used for camping, fire making and wood chores, Spyderco looks ideal for my needs.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #859 of 2,248
Do you really want a folder?
If its for camping/woods only a small fixed works better in my book. Laws are still present but you are not looked at if some one sees you with a 4 or 5 inch fixed knife. Even a 3 inch fixed works better than a 3 inch folder. You can baton a fixed knife if needed with less risk of breaking  than a folder.

Have a look at ESEE
The ESEE4 is what i use. ESEE 3 is the smaller version.

They dont differ much in price.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #861 of 2,248
Aug 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #863 of 2,248

Quote:
What's there not to like?

LOL, where did you buy it? It seems like the most active pocket knife forum is allaboutpocketknifes.com, and even that is not that active.

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #864 of 2,248
I bought it years ago, I can't remember from whom????
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #867 of 2,248
Folding knife bought up in the Taurus mountains (Turkey) from the village strongman/ blacksmith/ imam for about $6.

I like the roughness of it and that the tension in the goat horn shaft retains the blade, you have to give it a good whack (against a hard surface)... child safety he said.

Edit: Added info.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #869 of 2,248

Quote:
Do you really want a folder?
If its for camping/woods only a small fixed works better in my book. Laws are still present but you are not looked at if some one sees you with a 4 or 5 inch fixed knife. Even a 3 inch fixed works better than a 3 inch folder. You can baton a fixed knife if needed with less risk of breaking  than a folder.

Have a look at ESEE
The ESEE4 is what i use. ESEE 3 is the smaller version.

They dont differ much in price.

I was thinking a folding blade would be easier to carry in my cargo pockets, but I could attach a fixed blade to my belt or molle, thanks for the links.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #870 of 2,248
i know this is a multi tool but i cannot get a good edge on a leatherman squirt's knife. i can get buck 420 hc scary sharp. that is probably no comparison though since the buck is bos. i said elsewhere i had replaced a zdp189 knife in my pocket with it. i guess not after all. i re-profiled it and put an edge on it but it appears it is just not a great blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back