knife-fi?
Apr 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #573 of 2,248
Pros: Etched damascus looks better than beadblast S30V, easier to sharpen.

Cons: Everything else.

The only reason to get a damascus Leek over any other variant is appearance. (Which is perfectly valid.) Otherwise, the baseline 440A/13C26N/14C28N Leeks will provide similar performance with much better corrosion resistance at half the cost.

The best bargain in the Leek lineup is the CPM-D2/14C28N composite bladed Leek. Price wise, it slots right between the 14C28N and S30V Leeks. Cutting performance wise, it's a toss up between the CPM-D2 and S30V. Downsides are that CPM-D2 isn't as rust resistant as S30V and the steel handles don't provide as good as a grip as the machined G10.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #574 of 2,248
marvin,

thank you very much for your excellent answer. I kinda got some of that with a quick google search (duh me)

I handled a leek at the mall and really liked the opening mechanism - it felt really solid and secure.

I have a SOG Flash II that I like, but it feels a little cheap in my hand and in use and I also have a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian that I love but want a tad bigger. I will eventually get a Ritter model, but for right now I want to kind of try something else from another company I guess.

I like benchmade's blade sharpening, but I don't like getting a 5 dollar money order. It looks like Kershaw just asks you to send the knife and that is it - pretty cool of them too.

I'm also not sure if I want another spring assist or not. My mini grip opens just as quick if not quicker than the Flash II.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #575 of 2,248
I didn't like the Flash II either. It had a weird mechanism and I agree it felt flimsy. I remember I got rid of it pretty quickly.

The Mini-Grip is definitely a "must-have" knife. Its one of the fastest and smoothest knives I've played with. My only gripe is that the pivot screw loosens up pretty easily. Of course a few drops of Locktite would fix this up easily.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #577 of 2,248
my bro in law brought back an Opinel No. 9 from France.
again, like most new knife purchases, I cut myself.
Last time my brother brought back a cheap stiletto, I think he brought back a dozen or so. this was pre-TSA.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #578 of 2,248
So i finaly decided to spill some in this topic too
smily_headphones1.gif

So far i have a buck 110 and 2 multitools.
I have a kukri inbound tommorow or monday.
Took some photo's of the buck and multitools, will make some of the Kuk too.
Will post them later

Just joined bladeforums, which is a mistake similair to joining head-fi....
Will probably get two ESEE Izula's, one for work and one for home, outdoor use.
Maybe a RC-4, 5 or 6 later. They realy make great stuff.
Their Junglas knife and Light Machete look awesome too, i hate that place as much as i hate head-fi
redface.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #579 of 2,248
well i misplaced my Spyderco Persistence i posted in here and it's driving me nuts not having a knife with me. So i went ahead and purchased a Spyderco Tenacious. i really just want my Persistence back but i figured if it ever turns up i wouldn't really want two of them.

May 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #580 of 2,248
I just added a Chris Reeve Mnandi with Cocobolo inlays to the collection. It's a left-handed (I'm a lefty) model, and I'm very pleased with it. Great little knife and it has replaced the Mcusta Damascus/Cocobolo that was my EDC. Also picked up a William Henry which is a terrific knife (I was able to shave with it out of the box), but the Mnandi is a more manageable size and has an incrdible build quality.

I've been tempted by a few full customs, but these semi-customs are so nice that I'm no sure if the extra money is worth it.

May 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #581 of 2,248
it came in today. that was pretty quick shipping.

overall it feels about like the Persistence did, the blade is just a different shape. I'm pleased with it.

May 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #582 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just added a Chris Reeve Mnandi with Cocobolo inlays to the collection. It's a left-handed (I'm a lefty) model, and I'm very pleased with it. Great little knife and it has replaced the Mcusta Damascus/Cocobolo that was my EDC. Also picked up a William Henry which is a terrific knife (I was able to shave with it out of the box), but the Mnandi is a more manageable size and has an incrdible build quality.

I've been tempted by a few full customs, but these semi-customs are so nice that I'm no sure if the extra money is worth it.

I love my William Henry knives, they're so well made, of course one can expect them to be good for the dinero. Their new entry level knives are very reasonably priced though and look to be very well made. They mostly use less costly materials than their more expensive knives, but the lower cost materials should lessen the overall quality of the product, just lessens the luxury a bit.

3851545388_89f340ea10_b.jpg

May 4, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #583 of 2,248
Quote:

I just added a Chris Reeve Mnandi with Cocobolo inlays to the collection. It's a left-handed (I'm a lefty) model

I am a lefty as well, and would love to see pictures of this one, please
biggrin.gif
. I have always been tempted to order a left Mnandi, but prefer the feel in the hand of the Sebenza knives - I have a custom large left handed with inlays and damascus on order for well over a year now - maybe ready by this summer
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Same here. I can't justify the price of the full customs when I can get more than decent quality from the likes of Chris Reeve.

May 4, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #584 of 2,248
wh is my favorite. i prefer small sebenza over manandi. it is more robust. for the safe queens wh all the way. i have many wh's i never intend to use. not in a safe though, a display case!

music_man

May 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #585 of 2,248
I just got teh Sharpmaker in the mail this afternoon. My brother sacrificed his leatherman knife for testing. After watching the dvd i tried it. Piece of cake, it shaved my arm 10 minutes later! After that came the serrated blade of the leatherman, than two of my mom's kitchen knives. 15 minutes for shaving sharp, 20 minutes on real dull blades. My left forearm doesnt have much hair left
smily_headphones1.gif

I love it already, when i get the time i will take on my trusty buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back