knife-fi?
Jan 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #406 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they call them "sheeple".

music_man

I think "Non-Knife People" (NKP) is a better term. "Sheeple" is too demeaning, IMO.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #407 of 2,248
yeah, i said "they" as in the hard core knife folks. i don't personally insult people. i don't even have this issue though. i never carry anything over 3". like all william henrys and mnandi's,,umfaan etc. people actually comment that they never saw a knife like that. i say you mean a "pretty" one. they say, uh-huh.

anyhow i meant no offense. sorry.

music_man

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #408 of 2,248
Yeah, I've started doing like marvin. My standard EDC when I am home is usually a CRKT M16 and with their Carson Flipper, they can open so fast that it almost looks like I pulled out a switchblade. As such, I usually use the Flipper only when I am alone or with friends who are familiar with knives. Otherwise, I just open it two handed with the knurled knobs on the sides of the blade when I am around people who might be easily spooked.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #409 of 2,248
I've been on a bushcraft and Scandi knife bent of late. Here are two of Wood Jewel Knives' (Kolari, Finland) traditional Sami designs:

4263170732_8f3abbe83a_b.jpg

The Sami people are Europe's oldest indigenous tribal people which have a natural homeland above the arctic circle in northern Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Kola Peninsula of the Russian Republic. Referring to Sami as Lapps or Lapplanders is the derogatory equivalent of referring to Innuit as Eskimoes. Sami traditionally hunt, fish, and herd reindeer, which are virtually the same as elk but domesticated. The larger knife is used for building structures, firewood, and butchering. The smaller knife is used for just about everything else. Both have carbon steel blades with very sharp secondary bevels, shiney primary bevels and the remainder of the blade largely unfinished rough and black with forging marks as it emerged from final heat treatment (Rockwell @ 59). Stainless is held to have some problems with fracturing in the deep cold. Handles are curly birch and other woods with reindeer horn being incorporated into the smaller knife's handle. Wood is held to grip the hand better in the cold. Serious working tools from a serious knife culture.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #410 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not defective as the design is made to be adjustable. What you really need to do is buy a set of Torx screwdrivers and a bottle of blue Loctite and adjust them yourself. Benchmade sells a kit with the appropriate Torx head sizes under the 'Benchmade Blue Box Knife Service Kit' name.

I wouldn't send them in as even if Benchmade does adjust it for you, the screws will work themselves loose again if you keep flipping it. Might as well learn how to do it yourself.

Last time I did ship the bm42 so they can tighten it, it was perfect, not too loose or too tight... then within a few hours of playing with it, it went back to it's loose self
mad.gif

Am i going to have to be tightening these things everyday?

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #411 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellojello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last time I did ship the bm42 so they can tighten it, it was perfect, not too loose or too tight... then within a few hours of playing with it, it went back to it's loose self
mad.gif

Tighten + Loc-Tite its the way to go to keep good tension over a longer period of time. Make sure its the blue stuff, afaik the red one is alot harder to remove/permanent

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #412 of 2,248
Quote:

mad.gif

Loctite 242 applied to the screws before reinstalling them will hold and do the job quite nicely. Evenly coated those screws will not loosen up under anything less than heavy duty or long term use. The red Loctite (254 I believe) will be good if you don't want to worry about them again, but you need to be careful with it because it sets faster than the blue 252 and as gore.rubicon stated, it is significantly closer to permanent than the 242. You'll probably strip the torx screws trying to undo them if you make a mistake. Stick to the 242 and you should be good for quite a while.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #413 of 2,248
Quote:

Not if you degrease the screws and their holes with rubbing alcohol before the blue thread glue. They won't move. After that, it's only as you wear down the steel pivot surfaces.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #414 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few weeks ago, I was finally rewarded for carrying a knife around every day. A baby bird was trapped in some netting on a fruit bush, and it was freaking out. The netting it was tangled it was a double layer or something, so it was hopelessly stuck in there.

My father held part of the net with the bird in his hand, while I sawed off the other end with a Benchmade 943SBK, and managed to free it. It was a great feeling watching it fly away.

The only frustrating part was when I flicked the blade out, my sister almost yelled, "Oh my God, that's a switchblade!"
rolleyes.gif

Great story man, it's a great feeling pulling out a blade for a righteous purpose like that.

Can't believe I just discovered this thread. Who's on Bladeforums too?
beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #417 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silencer23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a good durable knife ?

Smith & Wesson Homeland Security

256551735_tp.jpg

Smith & Wesson make good revolvers, but look elsewhere for knives. My favorite production folders are almost all from Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, and Emerson. Mozy on over to bladeforums and put up a thread in General Discussion listing your needs and intended uses, the gang will set you up right.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #418 of 2,248
sorry guys, but here's the knife for real men:

Wenger_W16999_The_Giant_Knife.jpg

Amazon: Wenger - The Giant Knife

but please watch out! german amazon users criticize that the particle accelerator is hard to reach and the flux converter is missing. furthermore the landing deck of the aircraft carrier is ten meters too short (at least you can recover you F-18s with the crane), the integrated pizza oven has no circulation function, the fire ladder doesn't reach the ground from the seventh floor and it got only three integrated corkscrews.

the customer made pics are also pretty nice: (click)

i think this knive, together with the 3 wolves shirt and this cd is the best combination of mass destruction weapons you can get.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #419 of 2,248
Here's my Togiharu hammered damascus Petty knife from Korin. I have the Gyutu on order too but it was out of stock.

762792080_x2kn5-L.jpg

762791732_Rurfz-L.jpg

762791283_JzBU3-L.jpg

762792488_jApf2-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back