knife-fi?
Oct 9, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #376 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might have him pick me up a Spyderco Native or a Spyderco Manix. The Manix is an absolute monster. Extremely heavy but very solid with the thickest blade I've ever seen.

They don't make the old Manix any more.
frown.gif

The Manix 2 isn't quite the same. Size is closer to the Manix 83mm, blade stock is significantly thinner, grind is now saber instead of full flat, and fit and finish isn't even in the same zip code. Good knife, great value, but not quite up to the level of the old Manix. Then again, a NIB Manix 2 runs about half of what a NIB Manix 83mm does...

The S90V/CF Manix 2 is a different story. Fit and finish is still sub par, but it's amazing what a FFG S90V blade will do for a design.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #377 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't make the old Manix any more.
frown.gif

The Manix 2 isn't quite the same. Size is closer to the Manix 83mm, blade stock is significantly thinner, grind is now saber instead of full flat, and fit and finish isn't even in the same zip code. Good knife, great value, but not quite up to the level of the old Manix. Then again, a NIB Manix 2 runs about half of what a NIB Manix 83mm does...

The S90V/CF Manix 2 is a different story. Fit and finish is still sub par, but it's amazing what a FFG S90V blade will do for a design.

Oh yeah that's what I meant. Manix 2.

He has one of each. Standard and s90v/cf. Incredible knife. The standard one is about as cool, but much heavier due to the non-skeletonized handle. I'll probably get one eventually.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #378 of 2,248
Alright! It finally arrived today!

IMG_0537.jpg

The Victorinox Rescue Tool I got from my company as a recognition award.

First off, I have never owned a Swiss Army knife, be it Victorinox or Wenger, that has ever been quite this large physically. Most of the ones I have owned have always been small enough that you could hide the entire handle in your fist when holding it. Nonetheless, this tool was pretty impressive when I rolled it out of the packaging. The yellow scales have a nice textured feel to them that makes them much easier to grip than the older smooth red scales are. Plus, this material is extremely phosporescent. I thought the glow-in-the-dark deal was gonna be more of a gimmick than anything else, but was very impressed when I let it charge under the light for little more than a couple of minutes and then watched it glow strongly in the dark. Very useful when working in poor lighting!

Here's a pic with the main blade extracted:

IMG_0538.jpg

Main blade is about 3.5" in length and has a hole in the blade enable one-handed opening. The blade also has a liner lock, which is the first time I am experiencing this type of lock in a SAK. I have to say, I'm impressed by it as well!

Pic with all the main blades extracted:

IMG_0539.jpg

Surprisingly enough, since the flat head screwdriver can be used as a prybar as well, Victorinox saw fit to make the liner lock for the main knife as a liner lock for the screwdriver as well. That way, it can't pop closed during an emergency when using it to pry things! The other two blades are also pretty cool: the one on which the blade is convex is a disc saw, for cutting through laminated glass and the blade which is concave is a seatbelt cutter. Both are also capable of being opened one handed using an extension on the end to pry them open and both are also extremely sharp. I have no doubt that one could put both to use in other circumstances as well. The disc saw is also completely removable so when it wears down, it can be pulled and a new blade can be popped in to replace it!

Pic of the remaining blades:

IMG_0540.jpg

In this pic you can see the phillips head screwdriver as well as the reamer/punch: typical fare for most of the larger SAKs. But the other interesting blade is up towards the top of the knife. It's the window breaker. Also removable like the disc saw when it wears down. All in all, I'm very impressed by this knife. While its too large to keep on me as my EDC, I have it stowed in my car at all times now as a perfect tool for roadside emergencies.

Here it is with the remainder of my SAKs:

IMG_0541.jpg

From Left to Right: Victorinox Classic SD, Wenger Classic SD, Victorinox Pocket Pal, Victorinox Spartan and Victorinox Rescue Tool

Since, I had the camera out, I decided to be shameless and snag a couple of pics of all the other knives/multitools I had on me at the moment:

IMG_0542.jpg

Gerber Suspension Multitool
Leatherman Surge Multitool
Leatherman Micra Multitool

IMG_0543.jpg

CRKT M16-14Z
CRKT Thunderbolt II
CRKT Pazoda
CRKT M16-10KZ
Spyderco Ladybug
Kershaw Leek-Alaska Statehood 50th Anniversary Special Edition (more of a shelf queen than anything else)

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #379 of 2,248
Very cool!! Congrats!

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #383 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are those the original Camillus Beckers or Kabar beckers?

The long one is marked "BK&T Camillus, New York USA" and appears to be powder-coated

The Machax is marked "Becker MACHAX" and "BK&T Cincinnati USA" which I believe was the original pre-Camillus production and appears to be blued. Its sheath is significantly more detailed and complex and the instruction sheet is signed by Ethan Becker.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #384 of 2,248
Sweet Moras, Old Pa!

Man, I need to find a good dealer online to pick up a Mora through. I've got a Spyderco here in town with my name on it that I need to snag before someone else does, but a nice fixed blade Mora might carry better when I'm out in the woods than my M16

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #386 of 2,248
Funny this thread should come to the top today; this was just dropped off by UPS.

IMG00023-20091222-1228.jpg

IMG00024-20091222-1229.jpg

IMG00025-20091222-1230.jpg

IMG00027-20091222-1232.jpg

You gotta love the Benchmade packaging. They come just so sharp out of the box, too.

I bought this to replace a Kershaw that was stolen for EDC. It might be a tad bulky for that, though. The steel liner on the inside of the scales, though adding strength and a nice heft to the knife might make it a bit too fat. I think I'll check out a Mini-Griptillian.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #389 of 2,248
Man I want a new knife. I guess I'll go back to Benchmade since my 710 still feels the most solid out of these three:

4210644740_ca94e8ab03_o.jpg

I just don't know which one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back