Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara
Kershaw Nakamura
Kershaw Groove
Kershaw Mini-Cyclone
Benchmade 556 Mini-grip
Benchmade 943
Kershaw Lahar

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #363 of 2,248
Is anyone using an Opinel as an everyday carry? I got bored at work today and was surfing and came across Opinel knives and they look downright classy! I think my grandpa had an Opinel in his 'Paan' Kit. but I can't be sure now. Anyhow, I thought it might make a nice, lightweight occasional EDC, and for the price, they don't appear too bad!

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #366 of 2,248
It's going to be very hard for me to every purchase another quality knife that doesn't have that Benchmade logo stamped on it.

Their Lifesharp service is quite remarkable. I sent in a pair of knives, for the first time, assuming they'd be sharpened, end of story. Not only were they sharpened very well, but they were thoroughly cleaned, lubed, and repaired of all middling flaws. The pocket clips, which had lost a good deal of their black paint, were both replaced with new. And they were shipped back in original packaging, it was like getting back a pair of new knives, and all for nothing but the cost of shipping.

In short, they blew my expectations out of the water. Just what I needed, an excuse to spend MORE money on knives!
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #367 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's going to be very hard for me to every purchase another quality knife that doesn't have that Benchmade logo stamped on it.

Their Lifesharp service is quite remarkable. I sent in a pair of knives, for the first time, assuming they'd be sharpened, end of story. Not only were they sharpened very well, but they were thoroughly cleaned, lubed, and repaired of all middling flaws. The pocket clips, which had lost a good deal of their black paint, were both replaced with new. And they were shipped back in original packaging, it was like getting back a pair of new knives, and all for nothing but the cost of shipping.

In short, they blew my expectations out of the water. Just what I needed, an excuse to spend MORE money on knives!
biggrin.gif

You reminded me that Benchmade was in my back yard, so I paid them a visit today. They have a factory store which is open to the public.

I was able to pick up a few goodies that are hard to find these days.
  • Auto Benchmite
  • 921BLK Osbourne Switchback - Prototype July 2003
  • Mel Pardue 5500SBK - Limited Edition, #000 of 250

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #369 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's pretty damn cool.

Yeah, I agree. The story they told me was that from day one, the company's owner's wife received a complimentary copy of every knife BenchMade ever created, and very recently she decided to sell her collection back to the company.

To take advantage of this you have to show up in person to see and to buy. 000 of 250 would otherwise never have been available to the public at any price, along with a number of others in the collection.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #370 of 2,248
I like my Benchmade 551S Griptilian enough that when I lost it (the second time when it didn't make it to lost and found) I went out and bought another exact same knife at REI for $89. That's the knife I carry daily, while the Spyderco Wayne Goddard Micarta and CRKT Desert Storm knives stay at home. I keep a Gerber assisted opening knife in my car, but after it opened in my pocket I wont carry it any more.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #371 of 2,248
I agree with the Benchmade comments. I don't have many knives, but of the ones I do have, you can immediately tell the Benchmade is more "quality" than the others. Not that I don't like my other knives, but my 710 just has that feel to it when you hold it. I like it enough that I want to buy it again and get the plain edge.

I think my next knife purchase will either be a BM 960 red or BM 707 Sequel.

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #372 of 2,248
I just discovered this thread and it is amazing that so many Head-fi members share the same addictions. USN member in the house!

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #373 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just discovered this thread and it is amazing that so many Head-fi members share the same addictions. USN member in the house!

Head Phones & Hi-Fi - check
Watches - check
Flashlights - ??
Knives - check
Coffee-Fi - ??

Yup, welcome aboard head-fi, knife-fi, flashlight-fi, watch-fi, and coffee-fi.

Oh yeah, bicycle-fi, car-fi, computer-fi, etc...

Sorry about your wallet!!
L3000.gif

Kevin

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #374 of 2,248
Woot had a SOG Trident for $30 in the last woot off and mine just arrived yesterday! I gotta say, I'm now addicted to this assisted opening thing.

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #375 of 2,248
I just got a Spyderco P'kal for myself and a ladybug for a friend. Both very cool.

My friend is in Colorado and visited the Spyderco headquarters there. I might have him pick me up a Spyderco Native or a Spyderco Manix. The Manix is an absolute monster. Extremely heavy but very solid with the thickest blade I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back