knife-fi?
Nov 22, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #181 of 2,248
I love damascus knives, I wish there were more "affordable" ones.

Benchmade has an amazing looking 806 LE that is damascus with gold hardware but it's about $800. I always wanted an 806 and was ticked when they stopped making them (before I got into knives).

I'm looking at MCusta knives because they have some damascus blades.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #182 of 2,248
My little collection..

2305490304_aeb3484208_b.jpg

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #187 of 2,248
Just grabbed this fairly cheap but totally practical Smith & Wesson ExtremeOps knife. I've always carried a knife for a while, but was left without one for almost a year. Once I bought this thing a couple of months ago, I realized how practical and useful they are and now I notice that I use it at least a few times every day, can't imagine going back to not having a knife handy.

Of course it's totally legal with the blade being 3.25" long (I hate that California limit is 3.5" while the knife I really want is the SOG Tanto - I really REALLY love the tanto shape but it's at 3.75" and illegal in this state). I removed the belt clip for easier carrying inside a pocket and better hand-feel.

Front/Back phtoso

Hand comparison for fairly small guy, well "average by US standards", at 5'8".

And of course a shot of proper holding technique because it should never be seen until it matters not.

Still looking for that really nice and practical knife at below 3.5" that can withstand the abuse I dish out.

Suggestions very welcome!

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #190 of 2,248
I decided to take pictures of most of my tool shed (two Benchmades couldn't make it to the photo shoot).

img0051fy9.jpg

From top to bottom:

Surefire E2DL w/ beam diffuser and red filter
Zippo lighter, nothing special...
Benchmade ERT-1 (emergency tool in car accidents)
Benchmade 615S [Mini-Rukus] (rarely carry because of its weight)
Spyderco Emerson Waved Delica 4 (fast and keeps a sharp edge)
Spyderco Tasman Salt (it's rustproof!)
Spyderco Lava (recently discontinued, very friendly for first-time knife viewers)

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #191 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure that if it's a folding blade, then there is no size limit.

California's got some pretty patchwork knife laws. The applicable rundown is as follows:
  1. Blade length is tip to handle, not sharpened edge.
  2. Fixed blades, or folders with their blades locked, must be openly carried thanks to a nasty redefinition of "dagger/dirk".
  3. There's no statewide limit on blade length, though some cities (LA and Oakland) have have their own limits. (< 3" in both cities).
  4. Fixed and folders > 2.5" are banned on K-12 campuses and events.
  5. Locking folders of any length are banned on K-12 campuses and events.
  6. Fixed blades > 2.5" are banned on college campuses.
  7. Switchblades are fine as long as blades are < 2" .
  8. Balisongs are switchblades.

*Disclaimer, not a lawyer, don't come to me if you get jacked by the police.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #192 of 2,248
FYI: If you have a flatbed scanner and want a high quality image of your knife, it's pretty easy. Just get a shoebox (or something similar) and spray paint the inside flat black (or glue in some black construction paper). Make sure your scanner glass is clean, set the knife on the glass (carefully, you don't want to drop a chunk of steel on a sheet of glass) and place the box over it. Then scan as you would normally. It usually turns out very nice and you can do super high resolution images if you want. Plus, this technique works on anything relatively flat (flowers, circuit boards, etc).

431332425_2a54v-L.jpg

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #193 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI: If you have a flatbed scanner and want a high quality image of your knife, it's pretty easy. Just get a shoebox (or something similar) and spray paint the inside flat black (or glue in some black construction paper). Make sure your scanner glass is clean, set the knife on the glass (carefully, you don't want to drop a chunk of steel on a sheet of glass) and place the box over it. Then scan as you would normally. It usually turns out very nice and you can do super high resolution images if you want. Plus, this technique works on anything relatively flat (flowers, circuit boards, etc).

Good tip.

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #195 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobpensik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a small Chris Reeves Sebenza and I can't imagine a better folder

I have a Tighe Pan by Brian Tighe that may compete but that thing looks way cool.

I am concerned about the bali song comment because i have a benchmade knife that has balisong on a butterfly on it and i bought it inside LA city limits, i have never heard that it was considered a switchblade. I work in the schools and i take a knife sometimes to cut my avo or tomato (a Puma lockblade) and no one has said a word. Never heard of some of those LA laws. Hmmmm.

I'll get picts out here in a few days after i read the thread, looks cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back